Equinox - Grand Cayman (Docked today 1/24/23)

Quik2flip

Is there anyone onboard the Equinox today in Grand Cayman who could comment about the modified drink service while in port?  I am hoping this is not the new thing to close bars while in Grand Cayman port.  We will be there in April and didn't plan to get off the ship, and was going to use my very expensive Premium Package all day.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Canada also, not a new thing. It is just more noticeable when sitting in the sun. The Alaska cruisers have never complained or even noticed AFAIK.

Liquor Outlets and Bars while in Canada

While in port, one bar per 1,000 passengers, or one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater), may be allowed to remain open. For example, if there are four decks providing hospitality services, four bars may be allowed to remain open.

4 minutes ago, darren42 said:

While in port, one bar per 1,000 passengers, or one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater), may be allowed to remain open. For example, if there are four decks providing hospitality services, four bars may be allowed to remain open.

Four bars is reasonable. One bar for a large ship is not. Canadian law is much more balanced and fair. But we have yet to validate any new 2023 law regarding the Cayman Islands new imposed taxation/duties of alcohol while consumed onboard at anchor...From what others have stated, government is not forcing all bars to close except pool bar, they are simply wanting duties paid for alcohol consumed while ship is at anchor in Cayman islands.

Wow, I never noticed that in AK but after I first saw this, I'm sort of thinking, what if all the cruise port towns start doing this, that would suck.  It's one thing if they're just trying to 'extort' X out of some 'permit' money, but it's another if there's no 'permit' available for 'sale'. 

If enough passenger rate Grand Cayman as a zero on the survey and complain to guest services etc. The. Raise lines may think twice about port stops at GC.  The way to create change is by hitting the port where it counts, in the wallet.    I’m on Beyond in a few weeks, didn’t plan on getting off the ship - now I definitely will NOT.  I will not reward GC with money.  

• Like 1