Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Monarch Queen, formerly River Voyager. Isn’t it bad luck to change the name of a ship?

My only concern is Regensburg disembarkation is Thursday (and many of us have same day flights) and I’d rather not have a long bus ride. We won’t know anything until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest and I know they’re working hard to have plans in place for different situations. 

22 minutes ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Monarch Queen, formerly River Voyager. Isn’t it bad luck to change the name of a ship?

My only concern is Regensburg disembarkation is Thursday (and many of us have same day flights) and I’d rather not have a long bus ride. We won’t know anything until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest and I know they’re working hard to have plans in place for different situations. 

Sorry to read that. I hope all goes well and your trip can continue on the ship.

River levels will be rising again as there has been substantial rain today. A lot came down as snow though. Right now it does not look as if there will be flooding or a strong rise at Passau, just generally high levels.

notamermaid

Another quick look at the river in Germany reveals no major rises of concern. The levels will go up but from what I can see upstream from Pfelling it does not look major. The forecast and further prediction for Passau suggests a rise that will stay below 600cm. It is now at 551cm.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Well, we’re taking a bus to Regensburg tomorrow. We’ll still get a tour of the city, then we stay at an airport hotel. That last part works out well for me so I don’t have to worry about the trains, but it is going to be a long day of driving.

A pity about the coach but it is in the end working out okay for you. Have a great time in Regensburg.

notamermaid

There is an annual meeting of an Austrian organization whose interest lies in the promotion of tourism on and along the Danube river. The conference has just taken place, with a so-called post tour tomorrow: https://www.donau-oesterreich.at/en/danube-cruise/danube-navigation-tourism-conference/danube-navigation-and-tourism-conference-programm

Some more news in English may be published, but here is a good report in German: https://www.tips.at/nachrichten/linz/wirtschaft-politik/627365-linz-soll-hotspot-fuer-donaukreuzfahrt-werden

A few notes from the text. Linz is supposed to become a centre for river cruise tourism. One important measure: from Spring 2024 on ten landing stages will be equipped with electricity from on land. The first ones will be in Linz and Engelhartszell. To find out how valuable you are as a river cruise tourist your activities in Linz directly and indirectly are calculated in money. That figure is an average of 23 euros per passenger per day.

notamermaid

We concluded our Viking Budapest to Regensberg Danube River cruise on 11/21/2023.  The cruise ship was not able to get into Passau for the scheduled night there and on to the scheduled two nights in Regensberg due to high water downstream of Passau.  The cruise ship docked first at Passau-Lindau (a 10 – 12-minute bus ride into Passau) and then, back down river at Englehartszell (a 30-minute bus ride into Passau).  While we were very disappointed in the situation, Viking provided a tour of the monastery in Englehartszell, buses for those that wished to go on a walking tour of Regensberg (a 2 hour + ride each way for the 2 ½ hour tour) and a useful shuttle service into Passau on the 2d day.  We were bused on to Nuremberg for the final day and two-day post cruise extension.  We were not the only cruise effected by the high water and resulting ship relocation shuffle.

On 11/24/2023 at 1:35 PM, notamermaid said:

Now for something a little bit different. When sailing from Regensburg to Passau or vice versa you pass a ship that is seemingly docked in a remote place away from towns at a beautiful spot near a castle and hill with monument. It is at Donaustauf and the ship is the MS Rossini. She is a former splendid classic river cruise ship but is now used to house refugees. The ship had been docked a bit further downstream at Bach but the local authorities have a coordinated plan for this and moved the ship in August. So you may have seen this on your past cruise at a different spot. It is still a "normal" ship technically and signals. Here:

image.png.3930ec1578f887c988c082f3d93339d6.png

It is somewhat sad to see the ship go down that way as it can easily be the end of the road before, you now, conversion to private or worse.

But to the small town of Donaustauf. Marked on marinetraffic is the Burgberg. Yes, a castle on a hill. Not bad, but what is a real draw there is the other landmark, Walhalla. Kind of weird, refugees on a ship underneath the hall of fame of Germans. https://www.schloesser.bayern.de/englisch/palace/objects/walhalla.htm

From Regensburg the Walhalla is a pleasant coach ride. It should be offered on excursions but Regensburg itself is certainly the grander experience so I would understand it if no company ever offers it.

You can go by boat from Regensburg: https://tourismus.regensburg.de/en/experience-discover/guided-tours-walks-and-round-trips/boat-trips

notamermaid

I am rather late to reply to this post, but I wanted to mention when we were in Regensburg on a Viking Cruise we took the optional tour to Weltenburg Abbey, which involved an excursion boat ride through the Donau Gorge. They had buses take us back to Kelheim and made a stop at the Befreiungshalle on the hill above the town. Before getting back to the longship we made another stop for a wheat beer in the Schneider Bräiujhaus beer garden. All in all a very nice excursion and absolutely made up for not getting to the Walhalla. 

Edited by RDVIK2016

Passau is loaded with good dining options. If you find yourself(s) there we recommend Das Oberhaus (12 taxi from quay) for the view and food and Welcome cafe/bar/pub on the Schustergasse is a good stop for coffee & dessert or a good Bavarian meal and a bier.

2 minutes ago, derPinguin said:

Passau is loaded with good dining options. If you find yourself(s) there we recommend Das Oberhaus (12 taxi from quay) for the view and food and Welcome cafe/bar/pub on the Schustergasse is a good stop for coffee & dessert or a good Bavarian meal and a bier.

Truly a great view from the Oberhaus.  I have heard good things about the Heilig Geist Stiftschänke in town, but it was closed when we tried to go there. Anybody here have a review? We had very nice lunch at the Hacklberger Bräustüberl on the left bank of the Danube.

12 hours ago, derPinguin said:

We concluded our Viking Budapest to Regensberg Danube River cruise on 11/21/2023.  The cruise ship was not able to get into Passau for the scheduled night there and on to the scheduled two nights in Regensberg due to high water downstream of Passau.  The cruise ship docked first at Passau-Lindau (a 10 – 12-minute bus ride into Passau) and then, back down river at Englehartszell (a 30-minute bus ride into Passau).  While we were very disappointed in the situation, Viking provided a tour of the monastery in Englehartszell, buses for those that wished to go on a walking tour of Regensberg (a 2 hour + ride each way for the 2 ½ hour tour) and a useful shuttle service into Passau on the 2d day.  We were bused on to Nuremberg for the final day and two-day post cruise extension.  We were not the only cruise effected by the high water and resulting ship relocation shuffle.

Welcome to Cruisecritic. It sounds as if you had a good plan B set up for you by Viking. Lindau is a suburb before Passau proper so avoids that bridge:

grafik.thumb.png.edbd71759ffe6c84e3de107d2a840cbb.png

I hope you had a great time despite the changes. Unfortunately the fact that most ships have the high hull construction with four decks the situation at Passau affects most ships. When the river rises even higher all river cruise traffic is stopped.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I am rather late to reply to this post, but I wanted to mention when we were in Regensburg on a Viking Cruise we took the optional tour to Weltenburg Abbey, which involved an excursion boat ride through the Donau Gorge. They had buses take us back to Kelheim and made a stop at the Befreiungshalle on the hill above the town. Before getting back to the longship we made another stop for a wheat beer in the Schneider Bräiujhaus beer garden. All in all a very nice excursion and absolutely made up for not getting to the Walhalla. 

That sounds really good. I remember seeing a year ago or two that Viking offers Weltenburg Abbey. Just judging from the photos I would say that the Abbey is a nicer excursion than what Walhalla can offer. The Donau Gorge - that is the Donaudurchbruch - is a splendid rock formation. Think of the Rhine Gorge but narrower and deserted with a different stone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Gorge_(Weltenburg)

The Danube is not navigable or rather not allowed for proper motorized river traffic in that area. Only a few excursion boats are allowed in the narrows.

notamermaid

With rain sweeping over the area, a rise in the water levels is expected again. For now Passau is doing fine and actually has dropped since yesterday. Current figure is 552cm. That gives a nice buffer and as of now the level is not expected to rise so much that it may be critical for ships passing under the bridge. I dare say it looks quite good for the weekend.

On the Rhine we have the situation that a fast rise is forecast in the Upper Rhine valley bringing the level close to a river traffic ban again. We will know more there by tomorrow.

notamermaid

Dobre Rano from Praha.  Notamermaid, I’ve been on the CC since 2001 so not a newcomer but all on many Royal Caribbean cruises.  So I’ve been reading your excellent posts since we booked our AMA Magna Christmas markets in 2020 only to be delayed for nearly three years due to the Pandemic.  Excellent information and thank you!

But now IRT, we arrived in Praha on Thursday evening and right as we began touring Prague Castle on Friday morning, the snow began falling.  We are now under a blanket of cold and snow which by radar covers almost all of Czechia and into the Donau watershed!! 😳

We may be limited today but we are supposed to board the buses tomorrow at 0800 and head for Regensburg then Vilshofen and no let up in this onslaught until later Sunday.  Do you foresee any negative impacts on our sailing? The gauges appear to indicate high but not impassable.  Prosim!  😄

T Lex 

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

With rain sweeping over the area, a rise in the water levels is expected again. For now Passau is doing fine and actually has dropped since yesterday. Current figure is 552cm. That gives a nice buffer and as of now the level is not expected to rise so much that it may be critical for ships passing under the bridge. I dare say it looks quite good for the weekend.

On the Rhine we have the situation that a fast rise is forecast in the Upper Rhine valley bringing the level close to a river traffic ban again. We will know more there by tomorrow.

notamermaid

So how does the snow affect river cruising? We leave on Monday arriving in Vienna on Tuesday for the start of our Xmas market cruise on the Monarch Queen. We are scheduled to be onboard 5-17 Dec, so I hope they get her repaired. Anyone with updated info?

1 hour ago, twototravel said:

So how does the snow affect river cruising?

A lot of snow is actually more preferable to a lot of rain. As long as it does not melt. Snow that falls into the river is just like rain of course and makes the level rise there and then. In these temperatures we get snow but also rain as some areas are warmer than others. See the mix of rain and snow symbols in my post above. Other than that, driving is more difficult in the icy conditions which may affect your excursions and walking on cobblestones can be worse.

Hope the ship will be ready for you.

notamermaid

11 hours ago, TLex said:

So I’ve been reading your excellent posts since we booked our AMA Magna Christmas markets in 2020 only to be delayed for nearly three years due to the Pandemic.  Excellent information and thank you!

My pleasure. Thank you so much for following along. Pleased to read you are finally on your adventure. What a long wait!

Snow in Prague. Can I be a bit envious, please? 😁

I have seen the rise at Pfelling gauge in the past 24 hours. Quite high, but this has not translated into the same rise at Passau (yet). Passau gauge is at 563cm. Looks alright. The Isar and the Lech (two large tributaries) are not very high and the Upper Danube - here Donauwörth to Kelheim - is still okay. We have no forecast looking into next week yet. The forecast suggests levels below 600cm going into tomorrow, so it could stay below 630cm during the day. Fingers crossed.

By the way: Munich airport is struggling with the snow, so is Deutsche Bahn, and a football match had to be cancelled. It was a bit too much of what we call the "Weiße Pracht", the white splendour.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

21 hours ago, TLex said:

Dobre Rano from Praha.  Notamermaid, I’ve been on the CC since 2001 so not a newcomer but all on many Royal Caribbean cruises.  So I’ve been reading your excellent posts since we booked our AMA Magna Christmas markets in 2020 only to be delayed for nearly three years due to the Pandemic.  Excellent information and thank you!

But now IRT, we arrived in Praha on Thursday evening and right as we began touring Prague Castle on Friday morning, the snow began falling.  We are now under a blanket of cold and snow which by radar covers almost all of Czechia and into the Donau watershed!! 😳

We may be limited today but we are supposed to board the buses tomorrow at 0800 and head for Regensburg then Vilshofen and no let up in this onslaught until later Sunday.  Do you foresee any negative impacts on our sailing? The gauges appear to indicate high but not impassable.  Prosim!  😄

T Lex 

TLex, Were you able to visit one of the Christmas markets in Prague (v Praze)?  šťastnou cestu!

I’m with my wife.  What do you think? 

🤣

twomarkets. Naměsti Republiki (and the Palladium and Kotva Department Store), Naměsti Stàromětske in Old Town.  In the blizzard.  Happy Happy, Joy Joy! 

I was in this trip for the bier. SHE is in it for the shopping!!! 😆

Well, we’ve been happily married for three years. However, we’ve been married 27.  So much for delayed 25th anniversary cruises!

thank you for the “Bon Voyage” in Czechia.  

BR,

T Lex

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TLex said:

I was in this trip for the bier. SHE is in it for the shopping!!! 😆

Perfect then! 😁 🍻 Pilsen (German spelling), the home of Pils beer. Hope you got to sample some.

If not, German beers on the ship hopefully. Prost!

Could this be the ultimate bauble for you? (German online shop, just in case you need to know for/against cookies):

https://www.otto.de/p/inge-glas-christbaumschmuck-inge-glas-weihnachts-haenger-bierkrug-auf-der-wiesn-1-tlg-CS0425046/#variationId=S0L5O0VR5S56

Edit: got distracted from my duties there for a second - Passau gauge at 577cm. All good still.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info
  • Like 1

Passau gauge at 569cm. Cannot see any flooding of note indicated in the gauge colour map of Bavaria. Looking pleasant, at least tomorrow. Rain clouds are approaching from the West, that is Belgium and the Netherlands, bringing first snow to the Rhineland and then snow and rain, also in Bavaria.

notamermaid

On 12/2/2023 at 12:36 PM, twototravel said:

So how does the snow affect river cruising? We leave on Monday arriving in Vienna on Tuesday for the start of our Xmas market cruise on the Monarch Queen. We are scheduled to be onboard 5-17 Dec, so I hope they get her repaired. Anyone with updated info?

When we were at the hotel on Wednesday, one of the cruise directors implied they figured out the problem and they expected the next cruise to be normal. According to the Marine Traffic website, the MQ has been sailing. I just hope it's on schedule and you can enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Perfect then! 😁 🍻 Pilsen (German spelling), the home of Pils beer. Hope you got to sample some.

If not, German beers on the ship hopefully. Prost!

Could this be the ultimate bauble for you? (German online shop, just in case you need to know for/against cookies):

https://www.otto.de/p/inge-glas-christbaumschmuck-inge-glas-weihnachts-haenger-bierkrug-auf-der-wiesn-1-tlg-CS0425046/#variationId=S0L5O0VR5S56

Edit: got distracted from my duties there for a second - Passau gauge at 577cm. All good still.

notamermaid

A visit I made a few years ago to the Plzeňský Prazdroj (Pilsner Urquell) brewery in Pilsen was very interesting, especially the tour down in the old tunnels. I have to say that the bottled export Pilsner Urquell that I occasionally get in the USA is not quite the same as the oak-barrel lagered draught version I was first introduced to in a small town not far from Pilsen many years ago.  

Otto Versand is still in business? It's been a long time since Otto and Quelle widely distributed their Sears-Roebuck style catalogs.