What is the lowest deck you have been on and how was it?

shinynose

Last year we were on the Princess Sun on Plaza Deck and I must say that there was a lot less movement on this compared to the Aloha deck on the Star. We had the same type room on both so no difference there.

I really don't think we minded the movement that much. In fact for our cruise next week we have a room on Caribe so I think we will be fine with it.

Nancy

On our 1st cruise DW & I were in the lowest o/v cabin for 2 nights. There was a leak in some pipes so we were moved up one deck. Funny how you get an "upgrade" to a smaller cabin. But it was a very small ship, 27,000 tons and everything was fine. Cruise #2 same company, 37,000 ton ship, lowest o/v cabin everything was great. Then we moved to balcony for bringing the kids on the Disney Magic, it's balconies from now on.

We have done the very lowest deck (2 ) and loved it. Did both inside and outside on there. I like the outside for the window (makes the room seem larger and I love to have the sun wake me not the alarm). I think there is less motion there and I do sleep better then when we have been on deck 6 or 7 where I felt like I rocked all night and woke sick from it. We are doing a balcony room this next cruise and I know we will love the space of the cabin plus the outside area to sit but I do worry just how sick I will feel each day when I get up from being so high and in an aft room.

we are usually on the lowest deck or the next one up as we typically get midrange outside cabins and that is where they are located. As others have said, the higher up you go the more potential movement you will feel if things get rough.

That having been said, as I sit here at work, it strikes me that there is no BAD cabin on a ship, if the alternative is being at home or at work.

The reason the higher cabins are more desireable-- it places people closer to the food and/pools. you still need to travel to go to the shows, diinner, etc.

The higher you go the more you will feel movement. the lower you are the less it is.

also-- the higher you go the more it costs. Being low is cheap..and you get the same treatment onboard as the people who spent the most money

On my last cruise I had a room in the crew quarters (went as a guest of a crew member). When I realized my room was in the crew area, I was a little concerned because I've always had rooms on the higher decks. I must say I loved it. I didn't like the size of the room but I loved being able to hear the waves while we were sailing. The sound is so soothing and I hardly felt any movement at all.

I always ask for the lower decks. Less motion, less noise.

Always make sure there are no public rooms above your room, and also check where the running track is. Some people can't adhere to the no running before 9am rule. Sure would be a pain if your room is right below.

I admit I was nervous before we stayed in a Deck 2 cabin. Thoughts about dungeons went through my mind -- would we feel like we were vacationing in a basement? The reality was that Deck 2 was very nice, though it was a long way to the pool areas, etc. It in no way felt "low down", dark or dank.

The one thing you want to avoid is a low floor AND an aft cabin. If you're low and to the back, you'll hear engine noise.

I admit I was nervous before we stayed in a Deck 2 cabin. Thoughts about dungeons went through my mind -- would we feel like we were vacationing in a basement? The reality was that Deck 2 was very nice, though it was a long way to the pool areas, etc. It in no way felt "low down", dark or dank.

The one thing you want to avoid is a low floor AND an aft cabin. If you're low and to the back, you'll hear engine noise.

This thread is reassuring since we will be on the 4th deck mid ship for our upcomming cruise. Last time we were on the 8th aft and could just barely feel a vibration - it was kinda soothing.

I have to agree with michmike! I'll take any cabin on a cruise ship!!!!

~Connie

I think we've had cabins everywhere on the ship. There's nothing to be worried about being on deck 2. We've had several cabins on that deck. As a matter of fact, they call it the flagpole theory. Like the top of a flagpole moving back and forth in high winds and the bottom hardly moving at all. The most motion is felt on the highest decks, for and aft. The least on the lowest decks, midship. Either way, I think if all I could get was a hammock in the engone room, I'd still go! You'll have a ball.

I am constantly amazed at how easy it is in our culture to get people to pay for things based on status. I think people still remember old movies (like titanic) where they saw the "poor" people who were restricted to the lowest levels of the ship and not allowed to mingle with the rich people in first class on the top levels of the ship.

The main reason people want rooms on upper decks is just that...I dont want to be seen with the "poor people" in steerage class, when in fact all rooms are the same .... first class.

Some will justify it by saying they are closer to food, etc. on the upper levels, but thats not always true. In some ships you'll be just as close on the lower levels, and there's always the elevators that go to all levels.

Others are correct, there's less movement in lower level rooms, it's quieter, etc. yet people pay hundreds of dollars to be "above" others, when they get no better a room, food, services, etc.

Take the lowest room mid-ship and know that YOU have not payed for status, and the savings you get can go toward your next cruise. Have FUN!

I agree...lowest level mid-ship UNLESS you have the $$ for a fancy suite. We had an inside Deck 3 on the Grandeur in Feb and it was fine. When seas were rough we hardly felt anything and slept like babies in the very dark room. Do take a night lite with you. We were also comfortable on Deck 8 on the Millennium last year, so just take what you can get and afford and have a great cruise.

On our first cruise with Carnival in the Caribbean over ten years ago we had a lower deck inside cabin. Loved the cruise but hated the cabin because there was so much shuddering and vibration from the engines. We have never had a lower level inside cabin since. But maybe it's better now with the more modern engines and equipment.

Had our first "low Deck' Cabin on Celebrity Mercury deck 4. We got to all the ports at the same time,saw the same shows,ate the same food as the people in the Royal Suites. Same fantastic service. Stayed in better shape and could eat more due to using the stairs all the time to go to the buffet or pool on deck 11.

We've been all over the place on ships and the only cabin I didn't care for was an inside, forward cabin on deck 3. Mainly because of the long walk to get there and I don't mind walking a bit. We've stayed on deck 2 in the past and we choose not to book there again. We did feel a bit like we were staying "down in the dungeon", but it wasn't awful or anything. We prefer to take the stairs everywhere and getting to deck 12 from 2 is an ordeal.

I don't really concern myself so much with location. If the ocean is rough, you are going to feel it on deck 2 through 14, or however high the ship goes. I've been on a ship when you could hardly stand up on deck 3, right smack dab in the center of the ship. I don't often hang out in the cabin, I prefer to be out and about, so that's another reason location isn't a big deal to me. I wake the roosters, so noise from anchors or engine vibration when docking or mooring doesn't bother me, I'm usually up on deck watching the procedure.

If you have any issue at all with motion sickness, take precautions and then don't give it a second thought. I take less-drowsy Bonine every night at bedtime, starting the night before the cruise and I'm rarely bothered by it.

So, jakedoc is right, you'll be at the same ports, at the same time, the same everything as almost everyone else, no matter where you are staying on the ship. Book what you are comfortable with, as in your pocketbook. The only downside to lower level cabins can be at disembarkation, the lower levels are called last.

We were in an inside cabin on deck 2 sailing the Pacific from Hawaii to Ensenada last February on Legend of the Seas. My DD suggested low and middle for the Pacific in case of rough seas. It was a great idea. We kept missing breakfast in the dining room because we would sleep until 10am every morning. We had an interior inside right in the middle of the ship in the aft section and loved it--nice and quiet.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

After having balconies and being on hig-up decks, we had a "lowest deck" room last December and LOVED it. Looking straight out at the ship's foam on the water at night was wonderful...........

On this message board I learned afterward that many want the lowest decks for caribbean and Alaska cruises, especially, because they often see sea-life action right out their window.

From now on, if I can't get a balcony (and don't want to pay that much) I'll be on the bottom deck for sure.

We were on a low deck to Alaska in September with friends, and just yesterday, my friend said how she loved that cabin because of the dolphins right out her window. We were midship also, and it was the only time I ever got queasy, so I am not sure about statements regarding where the least rock and roll is -- seas didn't look bad, either. What I really hated might have had more to do with the big round convex (?) window (RCL) than the deck position, but it caused a kind of vertigo thing for me, which might have been the reason I got nauseous. I had never experience that sort of thing with a flat picture window in an outside cabin.

Archived