Summit to Bermuda. What’s it like?

Guest TopoChico

We've done the Summit cruise to Bermuda many times.   Some other activities you might consider:

1.  Rent a Boston Whaler from Somerset Bridge Watersports and go swimming with the turtles at Somerset Long Bay.  Bring or rent snorkeling equipment. (Reserve online, short taxi ride there)

2.  Take the Rising Sun catamaran/snorkel trip that leaves right from the Island Tour center at the Dockyards.  Snorkeling followed by rum punch, always fun!  (Book online)

3.  Go golfing at Port Royal or Turtle Hill.  If you're not a golfer, try the mini golf right at the dockyards and enjoy the wonderful ocean views.

4.  Ditto the suggestions above.  Horseshoe Bay is a must, but be sure to walk to the far end of the beach and beyond to see all of the little private alcoves among the rocks.

• Like 1

Everyone has offered great information.  Our favorite island to visit compared to Caribbean.

We have been going there since 1966(stayed at Elbow Beach Club when it was a 4 star hotel). Closed now but the beach is beautiful still.

The local people are always helpful. There is a man who works for the island that stands outside of the building where you purchase ferry/bus tickets at the Dockyard who is patient and willing to take time offering advice. Inside where you purchase tickets the advice is very limited.

We now always use the bus system quite a bit and find all types of people on board(locals and tourists). One night when we were coming back from a restaurant on the bus a passenger fell asleep and missed his stop and the driver did not hesitate to say he would take him to his stop once he dropped us off at the dockyard. No problem for anyone.

Try a traditional Bermuda fish sandwich at Woody's(small local restaurant/bar with outside tables on a bus route).  It is made on raisin bread and sounds strange but very good.

We will be there in May but this time only for two days as the cruise goes to Martha's  Vineyard and Charleston SC.  May have to return for a longer visit.

We have done the Bermuda cruise on Summit 6 years in a row. And loved it.  We skipped a few due to Covid concerns.  We are now booked for this June.

for those who have sailed on Summit recently, what changes have you seen?  How are they handling the buffet?  Still self serve? And the fitness center.  Is it still open?  

14 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

We have done the Bermuda cruise on Summit 6 years in a row. And loved it.  We skipped a few due to Covid concerns.  We are now booked for this June.

for those who have sailed on Summit recently, what changes have you seen?  How are they handling the buffet?  Still self serve? And the fitness center.  Is it still open?  

The fitness center is fully operational. Change room (s) have been redone. Still have showers, lockers and a dry sauna. Buffet was self serve on our September cruise. If you haven't been on the Summit since the 2019 revolution, you'll notice the ship wide changes, for the good. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, HardyVA said:

Was on the Summit in October. Buffet was self serve with unfortunately no “washy washy” person supervising hand washing or hand sanitizing for the 12 days we were on. Observed 60% of people walking right by dispensers and sinks. Fitness center was fully open. 

Something that many may over look is that the gratuities are automatically added to the bill in Bermuda.  It normally states that on the menu.   

Years ago we were in Frog and Onion having a drink at the bar.   A couple next to us was there for many hours and feeling little pain.  They were ready to leave and asked for their bill.   The male used his credit card.   The female reached into her purse and added money to the folder.   As the BT was picking it up.  

As they were waiting to get the CC back  he asked why she did that and she said because she thought it would be better to leave cash for the tip.   He said I already applied about 20% to the charge.  While sitting there we were talking with them.  I said didn’t you notice that the gratuity was already included to the bill?   He said that he wasn’t really paying attention as he didn’t realize how much they drank and shocked  about how much the total bill was.    She said that she looked at the total and left around 20%.     He said I guess we really over tipped on  that one.     18% plus 20% plus another  20%. 

Pay attention to the bill.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Guest TopoChico
8 hours ago, cw2go said:

Just need to say your kids are wonderful, this is such a generous gift and I am sure you'll love Bermuda! 

As you can see from all the posts, it's a great destination,

Patty 

I am absolutely blown away by it. They were going to plan a surprise party and my husband said absolutely not!  He knows me.  I would’ve haaaaated that. So while we were all on a November sailing, I believe they went to the future cruise desk to inquire, probably after a few martinis 😂.  That’s all I know and that’s all I am allowed to know.  I think my husband may have chipped in some but he’ll never say. 😉

I believe some of my friends are going because I’m sensing some weirdness when I bring up turning 60 😂 everyone is afraid to slip up I think 😂

16 minutes ago, TopoChico said:

I am absolutely blown away by it. They were going to plan a surprise party and my husband said absolutely not!  He knows me.  I would’ve haaaaated that. So while we were all on a November sailing, I believe they went to the future cruise desk to inquire, probably after a few martinis 😂.  That’s all I know and that’s all I am allowed to know.  I think my husband may have chipped in some but he’ll never say. 😉

I believe some of my friends are going because I’m sensing some weirdness when I bring up turning 60 😂 everyone is afraid to slip up I think 😂

I'd HATE a surprise party too! Not my jam! 😝

I know you'll enjoy Bermuda 🌴

Patty 

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

is that what we should do?

No need to book through Viator. It is less expensive to take a taxi or bus. The Cave admisson includes a guide. You mentioned Parkinsons, Be aware that the caves are 88 steps down and back up. 

If you  want to do a tour book direct with a local operator. Viator is middleman that you don't need to use in Bermuda.

Edited by Charles4515

22 hours ago, JFontaine said:

'm not sure if anyone wrote this, but you can't rent a car in Bermuda.

There are two seat electric mini cars available to rent. I would not do those myself because I don't like driving on the other side and the road congestion but it is an option.

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There are two seat electric mini cars available to rent. I would not do those myself because I don't like driving on the other side and the road congestion but it is an option.

I would agree. Do not rent the electric cars or scooters in Bermuda. The roads are narrow, hilly and as mentioned congested. We have been to Bermuda many times and almost always witnessed a scooter accident.
Last year we had a first hand encounter.

One  evening at the Sunset  Bar, we noticed a woman limping, covered in bruises and with her arm in a sling. We asked if she needed help. She began to tell us of a scooter accident she and her husband had been  in the day before. A bus had come around a curve and ran them off the road.
The husband had spent the night in a local hospital in emergency surgery to repair his broken arm. That morning he was released and was now under pain killers  in their room. Obviously she needed some space and maybe someone to talk to.

We helped her carry a plate of food and a drink back to her room.
Interestingly, she received no support or advice of any kind when she called the emergency number for the cruise line while she waited at the hospital all night, with no one to give advice on any protocol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest TopoChico
23 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

I would agree. Do not rent the electric cars or scooters in Bermuda. The roads are narrow, hilly and as mentioned congested. We have been to Bermuda many times and almost always witnessed a scooter accident.
Last year we had a first hand encounter.

One  evening at the Sunset  Bar, we noticed a woman limping, covered in bruises and with her arm in a sling. We asked if she needed help. She began to tell us of a scooter accident she and her husband had been  in the day before. A bus had come around a curve and ran them off the road.
The husband had spent the night in a local hospital in emergency surgery to repair his broken arm. That morning he was released and was now under pain killers  in their room. Obviously she needed some space and maybe someone to talk to.

We helped her carry a plate of food and a drink back to her room.
Interestingly, she received no support or advice of any kind when she called the emergency number for the cruise line while she waited at the hospital all night, with no one to give advice on any protocol.

I don’t drive at night anymore in suburban Pennsylvania so there’s NO WAY I’m riding a scooter or an electric vehicle! My husband would but I think we’ll stick to cabs so we don’t die in Bermuda! He drives around St Thomas for a few weeks every year and talk about scary! Drinking and driving is LEGAL there! We saw young women in a rental car who were absolutely HAMMERED on the St John Ferry. I stopped them at the ferry bar and tried to talk them out of driving and they laughed at me. They drove off.  I don’t know what happened after that but hopefully no one died.

Edited by TopoChico

We rented a Boston Whaler and had a great day. We went to the sunken ship wreck and snorkeled  and then a deserted beach where we anchored and had a picnic lunch.   We went  all around the area in the little Boston Whaler and had a fantastic day.

They also rent large Pontoon boats.  If you knew there was a group of you, the cost of the Pontoon boat split between couples would be an awesome day!

What a fantastic gift from your kids.  You will have a great time in Bermuda.  Having the full 3 days there is awesome!  Enjoy!