Monterey/Carmel area tour

Radiance of the Seas will stop in Monterey on Sunday, May 7, 2023. My companion and I are looking for a small tour (or even an uber!) to drive the 17 mile drive and drop us off in Carmel. After a few hours, we'd want an uber to take us back to Monterey. So far, all we've found is tours from San Francisco. The ship excursion is a full size bus that costs $117 per person, which is a bit outside of our budget. 

Has anyone else had experience with a port stop in Monterey? Is it easy to pick up transportation near the port? Does anyone know of tour companies in the area that could put together a small group tour?

Thanks for any help!

17 hours ago, jennyfranco said:

My companion and I are looking for a small tour (or even an uber!) to drive the 17 mile drive and drop us off in Carmel. After a few hours, we'd want an uber to take us back to Monterey. So far, all we've found is tours from San Francisco.

A little bit to unpack-- you can definitely use Uber in the area-- there are plenty and used them extensively for a wedding there last year. The issue is that they are more point to point rather than just "lets go for a spin". In theory you could take an Uber to Carmel-- well worth walking around there a bit, cute town.

Then take an Uber to one of the Pebble Beach Golf clubhouses for lunch which will take you along 17 Mile Drive-- you basically can choose The Lodge at Pebble Beach (the Tap Room makes for a great lunch) or the Inn at Spanish Bay (there is a great patio with lunch service overlooking the ocean). The benefit here is that they will refund the $11.25 charge for driving the 17 Mile Drive if you make a purchase. From either of those spots you could then Uber back to Monterey along the rest of the drive. 

Alternatively you could also just rent a car and do all of this on your own without the need for Uber-- I have to think that it would come in for less than $117 per person. I would imagine a smaller, private tour would cost more than that though. 

• 2 weeks later...

17 Mile Dr was very easy driving to Carmel. When we were there we rented a car thru Enterprise.  They came and picked us up at the port and dropped us off afterwards back at the Port. This way we could linger where we wanted to. It made for a very pretty and fun day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:58 PM, knbcruisers said:

Hi all, city of  Monterey has just announced it is closed to cruises for the foreseeable future. You should check your booking itinerary.  Likely substitute is Santa Barbara.

The Radiance cruise leaving Vancouver Sept - cancelled the stop in Santa Barbara.  I was not happy with that and the replacement of LA.