Chacchoben or Kohunlich ruins?

KKB

We did the Kohunlich/ Dzibanche excursion. The experience was great. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and fun. The pyramids have been excavated well and preserved well (we’ve also been to Tulum and Coban and they compare well). I wish I had been in shape enough this time to climb the pyramids, but not so much. Luckily my husband was able to climb and got great pictures. The bus ride was long (but well air conditioned) and the lunch provided was very reminiscent of elementary school field trips (sandwich, piece of fruit, soda or water, and a “little debbie type” local treat in a brown paper bag). If you are a “go with the flow” kind of person, you’ll have an enjoyable time. The ruins are beautiful. We saw lots of natural wildlife and could heard howler monkeys from a distance (it made for an almost haunting experience). It is a full day of excursion. You get off the boat, go directly to the bus, and get back just in time to get back on the ship (no time to shop or see the port).

I have not been to Chacchoben, but the reviews are good. The travel time is much closure to port. We’re even looking at that one for our upcoming cruise in May.

What ever you do, I hope you have a great time. 

7B108023-2318-48AB-8A4C-5973468C2621.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who's done both of these before. It appears the options are:

• Chacchoben 
  • Kohunlich 
  • Kohunlich & Dzibanche

We are not interested in adding the Lagoon/beach break.

The closest thing I've seen as a comparison is someone said something like all the ruins are similar and Chacchoben is closer. Otherwise people that have done any of the options appear to have enjoyed the one that they've done. Just wondering if going to Kohunlich or Kohunlich & Dzibanche is worth the added bus time (2-2.5 hours vs. 1 hour).