Harmony of the seas right now, my AC broke and RC could care less HELP!

38 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Seriously????? Been on over 100 cruises and have never heard this. Can anyone actually confirm?

It does not shut down their AC, but it will seriously adversely affect their AC.

Here is my standard spiel about balcony doors and AC.  Every cabin has two AC systems in it.  The first, is the one controlled by the cabin thermostat (and the balcony door switch), which only recirculates air within the cabin over an individual cooling coil by an individual fan in the cabin.  The second one is the fresh air supply system that balances out the bathroom exhaust fan, so you get fresh air in, and stale air out.  This system takes air from outside the ship, cools it, and supplies it to a number of cabins, and is controlled centrally, outside of passenger control.  Typically, all the cabins in one fire zone (between the doors in the passageway), on one deck, are supplied in common (so maybe 30+ cabins).  Now, the amount of fresh air supplied is slightly more than the exhaust air from the bathroom, for a very important reason, this slight overpressure in the cabin, keeps smoke from the passageway from entering your cabin. The overpressure goes out through the gap under the door to the cabin, into the passageway.  So, in a fire, you won't get smoke into your cabin. Now, if I open the balcony door, this unbalances the fresh air supply to your cabin, since you have changed the overpressure relief from the small gap under the door, to a huge wide open doorway to the balcony.  This drops the pressure in your cabin to atmospheric pressure, and can be shown by simply opening the cabin door at the same time the balcony door is open, and the wind tunnel created will blow any light object in the cabin out the balcony door.  Now, we get to your neighbors.  Since their cabins are maintaining positive overpressure, but yours is not, the fresh air supply will "take the path of least resistance" and increase the airflow to your cabin, meaning less cool fresh air for the other cabins in the block.  Therefore, their cabins will start to warm up, and you also remove the important safety factor of overpressure from their cabins.

Whenever I got complaints about warm cabins, particularly if there was a cluster of them, I would just walk down the passageway and listen for the wind whistling under a cabin door.  That is the cabin where I would find a balcony door open, and when the occupants were told to close it, the complaints from the surrounding cabins stopped.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It does not shut down their AC, but it will seriously adversely affect their AC.

Here is my standard spiel about balcony doors and AC.  Every cabin has two AC systems in it.  The first, is the one controlled by the cabin thermostat (and the balcony door switch), which only recirculates air within the cabin over an individual cooling coil by an individual fan in the cabin.  The second one is the fresh air supply system that balances out the bathroom exhaust fan, so you get fresh air in, and stale air out.  This system takes air from outside the ship, cools it, and supplies it to a number of cabins, and is controlled centrally, outside of passenger control.  Typically, all the cabins in one fire zone (between the doors in the passageway), on one deck, are supplied in common (so maybe 30+ cabins).  Now, the amount of fresh air supplied is slightly more than the exhaust air from the bathroom, for a very important reason, this slight overpressure in the cabin, keeps smoke from the passageway from entering your cabin. The overpressure goes out through the gap under the door to the cabin, into the passageway.  So, in a fire, you won't get smoke into your cabin. Now, if I open the balcony door, this unbalances the fresh air supply to your cabin, since you have changed the overpressure relief from the small gap under the door, to a huge wide open doorway to the balcony.  This drops the pressure in your cabin to atmospheric pressure, and can be shown by simply opening the cabin door at the same time the balcony door is open, and the wind tunnel created will blow any light object in the cabin out the balcony door.  Now, we get to your neighbors.  Since their cabins are maintaining positive overpressure, but yours is not, the fresh air supply will "take the path of least resistance" and increase the airflow to your cabin, meaning less cool fresh air for the other cabins in the block.  Therefore, their cabins will start to warm up, and you also remove the important safety factor of overpressure from their cabins.

Whenever I got complaints about warm cabins, particularly if there was a cluster of them, I would just walk down the passageway and listen for the wind whistling under a cabin door.  That is the cabin where I would find a balcony door open, and when the occupants were told to close it, the complaints from the surrounding cabins stopped.

Very interesting. And very technical. Thanks.