Bermuda in April: nyc vs Boston

sboston06

Good morning,

we are a family of 3 thinking of sailing on a Bermuda cruise over April school vacation. Child is 6, adults are late 30’s/early 40’s. Our last cruise was pre-Covid on the Bliss out of nyc. I’m trying to decide between the April 14 out of Boston or the April 16 out of NYC is a better option. It’s the exact same itinerary. Price is within a few hundred (the train from Boston to NY would add a few hours). The big difference is the ship: Pearl vs Prima. There aren’t a ton of reviews on the Prima as it’s so new but I was hoping it’d be nicer for our daughter especially with 3 sea days. Getting to/from NY is not a problem as there’s always fun things to do  there. Any insight from experienced cruisers who have seen these ships?

I also remember the nyc terminal being really hectic with long lines. Not sure if Boston’s is much better though!

Edited by sboston06

• sboston06 changed the title to Bermuda in April: nyc vs Boston

If the main consideration is the ship at this point, and you are going with younger cruisers, I would definitely recommend the Prima out of NYC.  Much more onboard than the Pearl, and the ship is just gorgeous in my opinion!

• Like 3

Also if you cruise out of Boston, you will arrive in Bermuda on a Sunday. The NCL ferry to St. George isn't running, and the public ferry service doesn't run as often. Also many shops in Hamilton are closed on Sunday.

Having sailed Prima back in October for 12 days I can tell you that Prima might be good for teenagers, with the go karts and the Galaxy Pavillion, but the general consensus is that Prima isn't really a ship for young kids.

• Like 1

I’m trying to share my cruise review from  my Pearl cruise out of Boston last April, however I am not succeeding. 
Anyway, maybe you could search for it. The NCL ferry did run on Sunday, maybe it’s no longer, 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️. But St. George was really quiet, nothing going on. Disembarking was a mess, I’m sure they have it sorted out by now. 

• Like 3

I would opt for The Pearl.  When you board, go sign your child up for the kids program.  Usuallly they keep the kids very busy.  On a Spring Break cruise there should be lots of kids in that age bracket signed up in the program.

Enjoy your cruise and being with family.

A Spring Break cruise on any ship will be crowded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sboston06 said:

Good morning,

we are a family of 3 thinking of sailing on a Bermuda cruise over April school vacation. Child is 6, adults are late 30’s/early 40’s. Our last cruise was pre-Covid on the Bliss out of nyc. I’m trying to decide between the April 14 out of Boston or the April 16 out of NYC is a better option. It’s the exact same itinerary. Price is within a few hundred (the train from Boston to NY would add a few hours). The big difference is the ship: Pearl vs Prima. There aren’t a ton of reviews on the Prima as it’s so new but I was hoping it’d be nicer for our daughter especially with 3 sea days. Getting to/from NY is not a problem as there’s always fun things to do  there. Any insight from experienced cruisers who have seen these ships?

I also remember the nyc terminal being really hectic with long lines. Not sure if Boston’s is much better though!

I'd go with the Pearl. Your daughter is only 6...if she were a preteen or teen perhaps I'd pick the Prima, but I think at age 6 the kids program on the Pearl should be more than enough to keep her happy. No need to spend the extra time and money to travel to and from NYC for the Prima when the Pearl is right in your back yard.

• Like 4

We've cruised NCL out of both NYC and Boston and much - much! - prefer Boston. Parking is easier, embarkation is easier, it's just much more pleasant. I haven't been on Prima but have been on the Gem which is the sister ship to the Pearl. We found it a wonderful size, not too big but with enough activities to keep us well entertained. We got to Bermuda on Sunday on our last cruise and found lots to do. Everything in the Kings Wharf area was open and we enjoyed touring the National museum and the shops. I would think the activities on the Pearl would be perfect for a six-year-old. The Prima does have some extras but as others have pointed out they are more geared towards older kids. 

As it happens, we will be on the Pearl to Bermuda for April vacation ourselves, with three teenagers who expect to find plenty to do 😉

• Like 3

Thanks to all for your input. I wish the Boston cruise embarked on a Saturday but am working on getting the extra day off from work and hoping that will work for us. We’ve sailed on the Jade and Star so I think the smaller size of the Pearl will be good for us too. Someone mentioned in one forum that the kids club was closed on the Pearl but hard to tell if they was a Covid thing. I’m hoping that is not an issue for us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sboston06 said:

Thanks to all for your input. I wish the Boston cruise embarked on a Saturday but am working on getting the extra day off from work and hoping that will work for us. We’ve sailed on the Jade and Star so I think the smaller size of the Pearl will be good for us too. Someone mentioned in one forum that the kids club was closed on the Pearl but hard to tell if they was a Covid thing. I’m hoping that is not an issue for us. 

I just deck the Pearl's Kids Club-- mid ship Deck 12 just forward of the buffet.  With the Kids programs up and running on every Freestyle Daily I have read, I am assuming that the one on the Pearl is too.

Enjoy

The Pearl is a wonderful ship.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, sboston06 said:

Good morning,

The Pearl is a small old ship. Traditional cruising and entertainment. Perfectly fine if that is what you are looking for.

The Prima has all of the bells and whistles of a ship designed for the contemporary cruiser with a lot of entertainment. 

Some photos and information the the Prima on my live review below

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, sboston06 said:

It was closed last April but that was due to Covid.  I want to say I have read that is has re-opened.  If you don't get an answer here check out recent Pearl roll calls here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/298-norwegian-pearl-roll-calls/

If you read through and don't find an answer you could always post on a roll call of a cruise that has recently returned or about to leave and ask there.

• Like 1

Thanks all! We decided on the Pearl simply because it was out of Boston and on a limited school vacation timetable, it was just easier. I think we’ll plan to see the Prima or Viva in the future, maybe when she goes to Italy! By the our girl will be older and maybe able to enjoy the slides and racecars. Appreciate the input and the reviews 🙂

• Like 3

My daughter was 6 (now 13) when we sailed on The Pearl to Alaska.  She loved it.  She had a blast in the kids club.  There is a Trip Report in my signature below about the trip and I talk about the kids club if you want to read about it.

We live south of Boston and it was a quick easy Lyft ride to the port.  There is also parking located at the Port with a free shuttle.  https://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport/  A lot or people drop their luggage with the porters first and then take the shuttle back with only their carry-ons or the driver will leave everything including the rest of the family and take the shuttle back by themselves.  

I thought about doing the Boston-Bermuda cruise again this April vacation but in the end we are sailing  The Epic on the 8 day cruise from San Juan to NYC as it was too good of a deal to pass up.  We will definitely do the Bermuda cruise again.  

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Living a short car ride from Boston, there is something to be said for leaving the house at 8 and being on the ship by 11 and arriving home before noon on the other end.

Yes absolutely. We are 15min from Boston on a good day (Friday mornings typically have minimal traffic) so we could be on the ship within an hour. 

14 hours ago, janetz said:

For Bermuda, always pick the one that spends the most time in Bermuda 😊

I would say, pick the smaller ship, period. I’m currently on the Getaway, where a cruise to Bermuda has morphed into a cruise to nowhere with a tech stop at Nassau, at night. The harbor entrance for Bermuda is narrow and larger/taller ships can’t dock when it’s windy. In 2021 on the Breakaway we sailed back and forth alongside Bermuda for two days before docking on the third for about six hours. I think that the Prima is even larger.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, PATRLR said:

Living a short car ride from Boston, there is something to be said for leaving the house at 8 and being on the ship by 11 and arriving home before noon on the other end.

21 hours ago, sboston06 said:

Yes absolutely. We are 15min from Boston on a good day (Friday mornings typically have minimal traffic) so we could be on the ship within an hour. 

It took us about 35 min each way with Lyft last April from the South Shore.  So nice not to have to board a flight before a cruise.  Even better only having to deal with going through security at the port.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, sboston06 said:

Good morning,

Freezing is the water that time of year! Go in September after the water is warm from the summer.