Passport

fpcruiser

On 2/2/2023 at 4:26 AM, sowhat said:

Sent application  on  Wednesday  25th  January  afternoon  and receive  new passport  on Thursday  2nd February,  only  8 days and did not pay for  fast service

Did you mail it or was this done online?

On 2/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, AmberMurmer said:

My online just says received and nothing else...so there is no message, email or letter. I am getting frustrated because I paid the extra money to expedite it to make sure I had it in plenty of time for our cruise (3 months should have been enough with expedited service) and I can't get any information other than I can call 2 weeks before my cruise and they can try to make an appt at a passport center...but no guarantee I will get it in time that way either.

did you ever receive your passport, my husband is still waiting and applied mid November still saying in process. 

For people who applied online did the status get updated in the system?

5 hours ago, clochette said:

did you ever receive your passport, my husband is still waiting and applied mid November still saying in process. 

For people who applied online did the status get updated in the system?

Nope haven't gotten anything and when I called to get an appt (because I leave on a cruise in 10 days) there were none left. I have gotten my state representative involved but its only been a couple days. So my recommendation right now is don't renew online if you plan to travel in less than 4 months, even if you pay for expedited.

8 minutes ago, AmberMurmer said:

Nope haven't gotten anything and when I called to get an appt (because I leave on a cruise in 10 days) there were none left. I have gotten my state representative involved but its only been a couple days. So my recommendation right now is don't renew online if you plan to travel in less than 4 months, even if you pay for expedited.

oh no I am so sorry,  I think that I am going to have my husband call I am getting worried.

It's interesting to see such differences in processing times, from 8 days up to 9 weeks. Not sure what the reason for such differences.

I try to be optimistic. I have an approximate 6 week window in between travels. I submitted expedited on Mon Feb 13, and I cruise on March 31. I took a chance to renew on short notice, or sail with a passport due to expire in 3 months. We shall see how this turns out.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:39 AM, fpcruiser said:

Does anyone have any very recent passport renewal times?

My kids had to get new passports, had their appt for photo's and paperwork on Jan 25th and we received them last week. I did pay for them to be expedited, so right now expedited passports, in our experience, took just over 2 weeks. It might also help (idk but maybe) that both the kids have Global Entry also and maybe this sped things along? 

Edited by mandyleighflies

UPDATE: So after submitting online on 11/27/22 for expedited renewal, and getting my congress person involved, today 2/23/23 I finally got told that they are in process with my passport...so apparently they finally found my application. Not in time for my cruise on Sunday but thankfully I have a BC that I can use but maybe I will actually get my passport eventually.

But word of advice DON'T use the online system to renew it is a mess and there is no one that can help!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AmberMurmer said:

UPDATE: So after submitting online on 11/27/22 for expedited renewal, and getting my congress person involved, today 2/23/23 I finally got told that they are in process with my passport...so apparently they finally found my application. Not in time for my cruise on Sunday but thankfully I have a BC that I can use but maybe I will actually get my passport eventually.

But word of advice DON'T use the online system to renew it is a mess and there is no one that can help!

Congress person? Are you serious?

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:09 AM, mandyleighflies said:

My kids had to get new passports, had their appt for photo's and paperwork on Jan 25th and we received them last week. I did pay for them to be expedited, so right now expedited passports, in our experience, took just over 2 weeks. It might also help (idk but maybe) that both the kids have Global Entry also and maybe this sped things along? 

I was lucky then!  My daughter applied on Jan 3rd at the post office regular processing time and we just got it today, so 7 weeks.  @mandyleighflies do your kids' passports look totally different than yours?  My 18 yo just applied for her 1st adult passport and got it in October 2022. Hers looks like mine which is pretty old.  My younger daughter's that arrived today is a totally different look!  Wondered if they changed minor passports or just updated all passport features recently?

5 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

I was lucky then!  My daughter applied on Jan 3rd at the post office regular processing time and we just got it today, so 7 weeks.  @mandyleighflies do your kids' passports look totally different than yours?  My 18 yo just applied for her 1st adult passport and got it in October 2022. Hers looks like mine which is pretty old.  My younger daughter's that arrived today is a totally different look!  Wondered if they changed minor passports or just updated all passport features recently?

Our passports that came in the last 2 weeks look different.

3 hours ago, Denversail said:

Congress person? Are you serious?

Yep because for 12 weeks it sat in just received status after paying expedited and no matter how many times I called I was basically told there was nothing that could be done and I just had to sit and wait, even though it appeared to have been lost because it wasn't moving past received status (which the passport office basically said after originally telling my congress person that it had already been mailed)...but in researching what I should do I found that if you have done what you are suppose to and have travel within 2 weeks a congress person (one of their aides really) can contact and push things (a very little but more than a normal human who can't actually talk to anyone more than a call center). If I hadn't I think my application would have stayed lost for a lot longer. So I only contacted them last week when I couldn't get an in person appt and had to show proof of travel within 2 weeks for them to even contact the office.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Denversail said:

I think you are proud of your actions and find them justified. I think your actions are shameful and a waste of government resources which I participate in funding. Have a nice evening.

Your comment is way out of line.  You seem to forget that congress people are elected officials.  Their job is to serve their constituents - not to live fancy lives in DC and not help the people they are supposed to serve.  Why shouldn't a congress person help out?  What, exactly, do you think they should be doing with their time?   This is their job!!  To help people with all kinds of needs -- not to be out living Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  Let's also not forget how much we pay in taxes -- government officials work for us!  OP has every right to utilize what their tax dollars are spent on!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I would have absolutely done the exact same thing at that point -- you did all you could reasonably do!  This is exactly what members of Congress are needed for -- situations where something has fallen between the cracks and the citizen did all they possibly could.  As you said, you didn't ask for an "in person" one since those are for emergencies, but is it reasonable to wait an indefinite amount of time with no way to know how long you'll be waiting?  No, it's not!  And clearly, your solution DID work as they located the application and can now finally start processing it.  This is not "entitlement."  This is following all the avenues available to the best of your ability and then asking for help when you ran into dead ends.  It was wise of you to contact your representative, and you know that's true because of the result you received when you did.  

Getting the result one wants does not make someone’s actions right. I wouldn’t call a few weeks indefinite. By their own admission they don’t even need the passport for the cruise vacation they are taking. I’d like to think that my congress representatives office exist to work on more important issues than getting you folks on your cruises. 

I am going through the renewal process now. I am doing it online. Firs a note about online renewal, I notice they stop taking online applications from time to time (not sure why). For example, the online system is not currently accepting new applications. I started the online process near the end of December. When I would check the status it indicated "in process." My next cruise is at the beginning of April so I decided to go into the pending order and add expedited processing (an additional $60). Within a week, I received notification that y passport renewal had been processed and is currently being shipped. Was it the $60, or was it just time? (It has been 8 weeks) I'll never know. Moral of the story? Make sure you allow enough time for receipt of passport. (or include expedited processing (and shipping!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peter1975 said:

Your comment is way out of line.  You seem to forget that congress people are elected officials.  Their job is to serve their constituents - not to live fancy lives in DC and not help the people they are supposed to serve.  Why shouldn't a congress person help out?  What, exactly, do you think they should be doing with their time?   This is their job!!  To help people with all kinds of needs -- not to be out living Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  Let's also not forget how much we pay in taxes -- government officials work for us!  OP has every right to utilize what their tax dollars are spent on!

I agree with you.  I also want to add that the waste of government resources (i.e. my money) happened when they lost the application.  Someone wouldn't have had to go searching for it if it had been handled to minimum standards to begin with.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, clochette said:

I think that it is crazy that they are telling you, you still have to wait the 5-7 weeks they should process it now.

Not the way it works.

When one receives a "Congressional Inquiry" about a routine manner that someone feels needs special attention or bending of the rules, the receiving office will scrupulously follow the procedures and time frames in fulfilling the request (or denying it as the case maybe).

It prevents the abuse of the system by those who think they have found a work around of procedures and timeframes in place.

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Not the way it works.

When one receives a "Congressional Inquiry" about a routine manner that someone feels needs special attention or bending of the rules, the receiving office will scrupulously follow the procedures and time frames in fulfilling the request (or denying it as the case maybe).

It prevents the abuse of the system by those who think they have found a work around of procedures and timeframes in place.

again I stand by what I said she submitted 8 weeks ago and paid to expedite and still might have to wait 8 weeks, that makes no sense.  

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 2:13 PM, cdlafl7 said:

we renewed the kids passports recently. went to a designated in person location to process the application. we expedited. noted as received Jan 26 by govt. we received their passports about three weeks later.

Not currently, but early last Fall I renewed my passport ... paid for expedited service ... and received my new passport back in 10 days or less.