YTD / Brunch - Gripe and A Question

groundloop

16 hours ago, groundloop said:

They actually have the ability to make it so we'll be guaranteed a private table every time we check in on the hub app?

That is actually the default. We have never been seated with others unless we asked to be. Even those couple of times, we were at a table for 6-8 with one other couple or a single.

Ask when you arrive what they are giving you and if not satisfactory, just tell them before walking in and they will change it. When you like the table, stop at the hostess desk on the way out and request the same table every night. Has always worked for us. You do have to go at the same time then each night because they shouldn't be expected to hold it for you.

You may also want to reach out to the Special Services team (I think that's what they are called, but I could be wrong) before you sail. I would think hearing loss would be considered a disability and they would be able to make accommodations for your wife to ensure that she feels as comfortable and cared for as possible while in the dining room. This may save you the hassle of having to recreate the wheel every time you check in for dinner. 

Thanks! 

• Like 2

My hearing challenge may not be as extreme as some of you, but if I can focus on you without a lot of other noisy distractions, you may not even be able to tell I have issues.  But, doesn't take much in order for me to find it very difficult to impossible to carry on a conversation.  Been that way ever since I was a wee lad.

With that, my wife craves interaction with others.  I am sure that is not an indictment on me (I keep telling myself).  So, we try to sit with others at breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner.  I converse as best I can, but often I just let the folks know I just can't hear, and not to worry about including me in the conversation.

Our experience, though, on some other issues, is that we don't have to keep making the same request at each visit when we have the maître de add a note in their system of our preference.  I don't know if that would work for table requests, and it may just be we had a very accommodating dining staff. 

YMMGYTACDD (your mileage may get you to a completely different destination)

23 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'll start off saying that my wife is totally deaf in one ear and has lost over 50 percent of hearing in her other ear.  Even with hearing aids it's difficult for her to understand spoken words, especially in a noisy environment, and is extremely self conscious about this.  Therefore we much prefer to be seated by ourselves in the dining room.

Unfortunately when being seated at either YTD or Sea Day Brunch we are often assigned a group table even though I don't check "Please seat us at a shared table" in the hub app when checking in.  We then have to waste our time and the staff's time going back to request a different table.  Even the so called private tables which are spaced about 6 inches from each other are uncomfortable for my wife because most folks will politely start a conversation and she's not able to follow along very well.

I see quite a few couples seated in booths etc. - is there a secret to getting these or do they mostly just ask the dining room host/hostess for a booth before they're seated?

That's weird because I have always done YTD since it was offered and have NEVER been put at a table with other people.

4 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Are we complaining that the two tops lined up are not isolated enough?

That is a big yes. When you take a regular size table, cut an 8 inch gap in the middle, and are still bumping elbows with the " table" next to you, it does bother me. I usually cruise on the smaller Spirit class ships and simply ask for booth seating, which affords plently of room to spread out and privacy. Usually by the 2nd night they know what we want and accomodate. 

I had the opposite problem on my cruise last week.  For every meal we ate in the MDR, whether breakfast, brunch or dinner, we requested shared tables.  Only once were we seated with others, and the rest we were seated at a two-top.  It was disappointing because sharing tables and meeting other people is something I genuinely enjoy about cruising…

56 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

That is a big yes. When you take a regular size table, cut an 8 inch gap in the middle, and are still bumping elbows with the " table" next to you, it does bother me. I usually cruise on the smaller Spirit class ships and simply ask for booth seating, which affords plently of room to spread out and privacy. Usually by the 2nd night they know what we want and accomodate. 

Did you check in on the Hub and then ask for the change at the desk after confirmed with a table number or just start there without using the app.  I believe I will do this next time, like you I loath many of the 2 tops.

11 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Did you check in on the Hub and then ask for the change at the desk after confirmed with a table number or just start there without using the app.  I believe I will do this next time, like you I loath many of the 2 tops.

I checked in on the hub but when they went to seat us I asked for a booth. There is unfortunately no way to request it on the app. I asked before the host could make a move towards where we were going. The two tops are just too cramped all around for me. Not a big fan of the newer ships that pack you in like sardines in the MDR or the main showroom.

30 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

I checked in on the hub but when they went to seat us I asked for a booth. There is unfortunately no way to request it on the app. I asked before the host could make a move towards where we were going. The two tops are just too cramped all around for me. Not a big fan of the newer ships that pack you in like sardines in the MDR or the main showroom.

Good to know.

We have had great success asking each time we arrive to the dining room.  We do the check in on the hub app, but when we arrive (after it tells us our table is ready), we alert the hostess we would specifically like a "XXX" type of table, they usually walk us up to the hostess stand and they switch us.

Now, I will say my husband always make sure he has his "white" sail and sign card visible when he is asking so that may be the reason we are usually successful. 😄

• Like 1