Princess at Mykonos - docking, tender, shuttle into town?

Wishing on a star

I am not sure how many ships can dock at Mykonos.

And I am not sure if the Sun Princess will, for sure be at the dock.

Can you tell that, for sure, by looking at your booking?

I have heard of tenders going to either the new port, or to the old port.

I have also heard of cruises having a shuttle into town.   It is walkable, but I have heard of complimentary shuttle.

It can be confusing! Can anyone here give any insight?

Edited by Wishing on a star

When we visited Mykonos several years ago our itinerary was listed on our daily newsletter as a tender port. We apparently got there earlier than expected and scored the dock space. The other cruise ship in port that day arrived about an hour later and had to tender in. Perhaps it's "first come first served" for the dock space? 

The dock was not in front of town, but close enough for a short walk. 

Edited by PTMary

It depends. On both of our cruises, we were able to dock. One was on the Regal, and the other was on the Royal, which are comparable sizes to the Sun. They had a well-flowing system to board the shuttle to Mykonos town. Some people took the public ferry, which was cheap, but could be delayed. Some people walked. it was the return that was a long wait to get a shuttle. Our ship waited for the delayed public ferry to arrive as there were passengers from our ship on it. I wouldn’t count on that though because the ship could’ve left those passengers behind.

When I was in Mykonos last May the Regal docked and bus and water ferry were available to downtown.  

If you don’t take a tour, you have a choice of taking a bus or a water shuttle to town.    I took the bus to town and was dropped in a parking lot with a bit of a walk into town.    If you decide to walk it, it is not a straight shot and very uneven surfaces to navigate.   (I am 73 and healthy but careful with long walking distances and heat)

Coming back, I opted for the water shuttle that left from dock in town and dropped off very near the ship.     Hands down the winner!  Especially for older folks counting their steps when on tours.    Factor in the higher temperatures when you consider which to choose.  

I do not remember the cost of either but either was inexpensive.   I found no significant delays with either.    It’s very close.   5-10 minutes travel.   I don’t remember if they take credit cards.    I would take cash.   I am sure one could find the water taxi rates online.  

• Like 1

Thank You!  Great information!

So, princess has not been providing any shuttle service.  (Heard some lines do?)

This shuttle into town is a Mykonos public shuttle bus?

Did you ever use a taxi or transport on Mykonos?

If we do not take a sailing Yacht, we would need a taxi (Welcome Pickups) or uber type service (iMove) to get around.

We will be there there the very first week of May.

Not sure what to do, as many, if not most, of the beach restaurants/clubs will not be open yet.

Definitely no swimming!  But would still be nice to see a Mykonos beach and soak up the sunshine.