Luggage tags on suitcases questions.

cruiseagona

55 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Obviously not an engineer who believes marketing hype from tag manufactures. The strap is not the weak point that would get torn. It is the plastic sleeve. 

The ones I purchased have a metal grommet that reinforces the plastic tag. 

Regardless, the tags are much sturdier than the stapled on ones you get from NCL.

BTW, I'm a retired engineer.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

basically anything you can add that will make your bag unique increases the chances of getting it back if it goes astray. 

May I suggest some colored yarn wrapped around the handle?  Take a few loops around the handle, tie it off where the yarn extends six inches past the handle,  cut the yarn to make some loose ends ...

Used to use the holders

Now I cover our tags with clear tape to guard against getting wet

Slip the tag through the handle  and staple together

Never had a issue

Always something bright attached somewhere on our luggage 😊

Edited by janetz

48 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

May I suggest some colored yarn wrapped around the handle?  Take a few loops around the handle, tie it off where the yarn extends six inches past the handle,  cut the yarn to make some loose ends ...

Oh that’s the standard for most Irish holidaymakers, usually yarn of their county colours. To me it’s just one more thing to get stuck on machinery and potentially cause more damage than good.

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

After reading this thread I’m going to be getting a roll of sticky labels and write the relevant details on that as a backup on the outside of the bag. I use hard shell cases these days and never black after the experience of Charles De Galle in Paris delivering the wrong bag to me when it didn’t show up on the carousel.
basically anything you can add that will make your bag unique increases the chances of getting it back if it goes astray. 

After my non-so-good luck with damaged suitcases on trips, I now go to the local thrift store and for $10-15 on average I can find something that will get me through a few more cruises before it gets destroyed or worn out (I prefer soft-sided) and I throw it out.  I have quite an eclectic collection at the moment - fluorescent orange or blue,  pink pokadots or camouflage, and then some with animal prints (zebra and leopard).  Took the zebra stripes to SoAfrica, thought that was appropriate.  I think living near a college town might have something to do with the available choices.

Only problem is that I usually take a 24-26" suitcase so it sometimes gets hidden behind the taller ones.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, BirdTravels said:

Here's a hack: Put a piece of filament tape, duct tape, or clear packing tape on the back of your paper tags. That will help prevent tearing. We used to carry a roll of packing tape to secure the ends of our tags once we arrived in our embarkation city. 

I just pack a roll of clear packing tape and do some quick "self-laminating" after I print them out. They're pretty resilient and loop around a handle or can be stuck to whatever you like. 

• Like 1