How long is disembarkation upon arrival

cruise grrl

That should be fine.  Before covid, we made an 11:30 flight with plenty of time to spare in Copenhagen.  You should plan on self-disembarkation, which means you can leave as soon as the ship clears customs, and take a taxi to the airport. 

Of course if the ship is late to arrive in port, that could present a problem.  One time in Copenhagen our ship took over an hour to dock due to high winds in the port that kept blowing the ship away from the dock.

• Like 1

My experience in Copenhagen last summer would make me concerned about making a flight to the US that early.  

Disembarkation was disorganized after we left the ship.  If I recall correctly, it took us about 20 minutes to find our luggage.  The ground transportation area at the cruise terminal was chaotic at best.  I don’t recall many cabs and buses for the airport were intermingled with buses for hotels with no signs indicating which was which.

It took us about 45 minutes to check in for our Delta flight, despite using the priority line.  Passport control was a zoo.  I would guess most of this was caused by lack of airport workers post Covid, but the experience made me vow to avoid Copenhagen at all costs.

• Like 1

I'd suggest checking the flights available through HAL's flight ease system for safety's sake and because we have actually saved quite a bit on international bookings by using it.  We just booked nonstop returns from Rome in May for around $350 each where the same tickets would have been $1600 online! 

Plus, with flight ease you always get at least one free checked back per ticket on international flights.  Also, it has the added benefit of guaranteeing you will not miss the flight because of the ship's delay or they handle the rebooking and any costs associated with it.  The system will automatically tell you what the earliest time you can book is. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, cruise grrl said:

I am looking at a cruise that arrives in Copenhagen on the Nieuw Statendam at 7am.  I would likely have a flight out of Cogenhagen at 12pm to return home.   Is this flight time doable?  Thank you.  

Your question really cannot be answered definitively because there are too many factors involved upon disembarkation. Docking, weather, # of ships in port, customs, transportation, traffic, airport, security, etc.  So, "doability" on this timeframe is basically a gamble that only you can decide. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Where is home? A flight to the US requires extra procedures other flights don't.

The drive to the airport is only about 30 or so minutes, so if you can get off pretty quickly and grab a cab, shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any idea about the cost of a taxi from the ship to the airport