Changing Cabin After Final Payment

JamieLogical

I am booked for an April sailing on the Meraviglia and I see that a couple of the cabins with angled balconies have opened up. They are the same category as the balcony that I currently have booked. If I call, can I have my cabin assignment changed? I know this is possible with other cruise lines, but I am not sure about MSC.

Tread with caution ANY time you contact MSC customer service there is a very good chance your reservation can be completely screwed up!  Ask yourself if it is truly worth it to call them.  My example:  I have an Aurea whirlpool suite booked on the 4/9/23 Seascape cruise and when I booked only the ninth and tenth floors where available.  I booked the 10th floor, since then all the other floors have opened up - would I like to move to higher floor?  Yes, but decided the risk was not worth the return.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deweytrader said:

Tread with caution ANY time you contact MSC customer service

This is sound advice. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I try not to tweak my reservation with MSC after I've booked. You will receive an email with an updated reservation confirmation a few minutes after you complete your phone call with customer service. More than once I've looked at the new document and discovered a change or an error unrelated to the issue I called about originally. It's just a weird thing with MSC that I've learned to accept and work around. Now, having said that, to me it would be worth the risk to be able to move to an angled or larger balcony.

Let me give you a couple of examples of the relatively minor (but still somewhat annoying) issues I've had after contacting customer service for a change: 1) emailed existingreservations to add my military discount - got the discount but they changed my fare to the current "sale" which was higher than the original fare I booked. 2) I requested to change my cabin from port side to starboard side (same YC category) - I noticed that I lost the OBC I had gotten as part of the promo going on when I originally booked. 

The customer service agents are always very helpful, it's just an oddity that, like I said, I learned to live with by avoiding messing with my reservation.

I would not recommend changing anything (or even asking a question) unless it is absolutely necessary. I had my travel agent ask about the cost to add someone to my room for my May cruise, not actually add anyone, just how much it would cost, and they repriced my paid-in-full cruise to the current rate. They said I owed $ 578.00 more, even though I had an invoice from December that showed a -0- balance owed.  

Apparently the MSC system reprices the cruise to the current pricing anytime someone opens the reservation, even if no changes are made and / or it is paid in full. The onboard experience has been great, but the website, customer service and IT systems are horrible.

The best option is to keep what you have and go to Guest Services when you board and ask if they are able to move you to the cabin you prefer. Just make sure there will not be any additional charge.

Edited by JT1962