NCL Haven vs. RCL Star Class

Hutcha

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i dont even know how people get cabins like they royal suite. for the fun of it i was pricing out a retirement cruise. went to mid to end of 2024. tried 3 different ships. no royals available. i guess they really do book them the day they come out. even few star lofts were available. 

You have to call them for some rooms. Some cabins they make you put a minimum number of people in them, and their website is not designed to allow online booking for more than 4 in a room.

There's a 3br available on one of their ships. Took me a while to realize it will never be listed as available on their website. Had to call for pricing. Haven 3br garden villa was a much better value for what you get so didn't pursue booking it 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, Sailing12Away said:

I'm intrigued by Star class, but have never once found a sailing even orders of magnitude close to what I've been finding on NCL. I guess it all depends on where you're looking to travel and the time of year, but last 5 Haven trips averaged about $450/pp/day. That's with cabins ranging from an HH (Joy) to an H1 (Star & Pearl). 

I haven't been able to find a Star class trip for anywhere close to that price. Just looked up a 9 night great barrier reef trip for 2024. Grand loft suite would cost us over 1K/pp/day. Sure, it comes with wifi - I don't care about wifi, I get free wifi on land and nothing happening back home is that important it can't wait 1-2 days while I'm at sea.

I dunno, you're going to have a hard time convincing me there's double the amount of value packed into that little genie guy. 

You just have to look. I just booked the 2 bedroom Aquatheater suite (A2) for 7 nights in October 2024 for $7350 for 3 people, that's $350/pp/day. 

In March 2022, 10 days out (last minute) I booked the Ultimate Panoramic suite (UP) for $11,000 for 4, which came to #392/pp/day.

We just sailed the 2 bedroom villa on escape for about $8500 which is $303/pp/day (7 nights, 4 people).

I use cruise plum to find the dips and then book them.

Edited by gingersvp
clarify number of nights/people & correct maths

We have enjoyed both Haven and Star class ourselves, mainly because we enjoy the diversity of rooms that each ship has to offer. That said, if given the preference we would always choose Star class over Haven. It's a whole different level of service, and we love that most everything is included (Oddly, except candy, which I think most would not care about as the butler will bring you just about anything). 

We also like most of the RCL suite layouts better than NCL, but give me an AFT facing room with loungers on the balcony and that really is all we need, but we do so love the two-story aft facing lofts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

There's a 3br available on one of their ships. Took me a while to realize it will never be listed as available on their website. Had to call for pricing. Haven 3br garden villa was a much better value for what you get so didn't pursue booking it 

Do you mean the 4br villa on Harmony and Symphony? It's hard to find because people have their TA stalk the cruise line for when the rooms drop. They get snatched up right away. You can book them on the site though, if you can find one. There are about 8-10 out there right now. 

There are a good deal if you're going to put a lot of people in them. They hold up to 14. 

I have only traveled sky class with RC, but… in 11 days I am going on the Haven Encore Owners suite and paid out of the nose, even though I haven’t experience it and we are super excited, we also have Star class booked in August.  So….without traveling YET on either Star or Haven here are my thoughts on having them both booked and dealing with pre cruise stuff.  

Haven-only 2 specialty restaurants included for the first 2 guests only.  Wi-Fi 150 min for the first two guests.  No beers allowed to be stocked in the room.  No room service of alcohol.  If we want room service from specialty it needs to be paid for.  Beverage package is the routine one, not the plus.  Unless upgrading of course.

Now to Star-we paid for the cruise and guess what?  No extras.  We get all speciality restaurants for whenever we want for all 5 of us.  Beer in room, room service with alcohol.  Reservations thru the genie. Wi-Fi for all.  

Basically there is a lot more for the value when dealing with Star if you get a good price which we did.  

Being that I haven’t traveled yet I cannot compare the rooms or the service.  Our haven price is literally double the Star for our 2 cruises.  But lets see….either way I’m psyched for both!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stelkp said:

I have only traveled sky class with RC, but… in 11 days I am going on the Haven Encore Owners suite and paid out of the nose, even though I haven’t experience it and we are super excited, we also have Star class booked in August.  So….without traveling YET on either Star or Haven here are my thoughts on having them both booked and dealing with pre cruise stuff.  

Haven-only 2 specialty restaurants included for the first 2 guests only.  Wi-Fi 150 min for the first two guests.  No beers allowed to be stocked in the room.  No room service of alcohol.  If we want room service from specialty it needs to be paid for.  Beverage package is the routine one, not the plus.  Unless upgrading of course.

Now to Star-we paid for the cruise and guess what?  No extras.  We get all speciality restaurants for whenever we want for all 5 of us.  Beer in room, room service with alcohol.  Reservations thru the genie. Wi-Fi for all.  

Basically there is a lot more for the value when dealing with Star if you get a good price which we did.  

Being that I haven’t traveled yet I cannot compare the rooms or the service.  Our haven price is literally double the Star for our 2 cruises.  But lets see….either way I’m psyched for both!!

This scenario is exactly why I put this thread up. You can't really compare a Haven courtyard PH to Star class. But a DOS should have service and amenities that reflect the price you are paying. 

On 2/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, Hutcha said:

I cannot imagine paying $18-22K for a DOS, only to have them suck more money out of me for internet, drinks, tips, and more

Yours is a great example. You're paying twice as much for the DOS, but you're saddled with extras that you'll have to pay for. $175 pp for tips, Wifi, specialty dining, racetrack*, laser tag*, bottled water, restaurant upcharges, laundry, etc. No, all of these are not important to some. I get that, but you're still face with have to decide if you want to pay.

* RCL doesn't have a racetrack or laser tag, but the things they do charge for (iFly, escape room, etc.), you don't have to pay for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stelkp said:

@Stelkp I have personally traveled in the (H2) Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  You can ask me anything.  Happy to support or assist you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Stelkp I have personally traveled in the (H2) Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  You can ask me anything.  Happy to support or assist you.

Thank you so much.  We are very much looking forward to the cruise and our suite. Is the front balcony as windy as I think it might be while in transit? Lol

51 minutes ago, Stelkp said:

Thank you so much.  We are very much looking forward to the cruise and our suite. Is the front balcony as windy as I think it might be while in transit? Lol

@Stelkp First I am very excited for you.  I will answer your question.  You will have three decks.  The big one is just outside the living room.  When the ship is cruising it can get windy however it if it warm, it is delightful.  On the side there is a wind door and another deck that will shield you from the wind.  Out the Master Bedroom, there is a private deck.  Below is a you tube video that might help more. 

On what you wrote, this is the only stateroom on your ship that has water, mixers and soda's replenished upon consumption.  The butler will also bring you three bottles of spirits or wine of your choice.  The second bedroom ask for a mattress pad and the pull out couch is also comfortable.  I had five folks in my family with me and it was quite comfortable. 

I hope that help.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:22 PM, Stelkp said:

Actually, you're incorrect. If you're in an owners suite, your mini bar is fully stocked and free. Soda, water, juice, beer.... plus you get bottles of liquor in your room. The # of bottles depends on the length of your trip. Ask and you shall receive.... Owners suites and garden villas are on a whole different level of service in NCL.

Welcome Aboard SSL H1, H2, H3, H4.pdf

On 2/8/2023 at 9:55 AM, Hutcha said:

Do you mean the 4br villa on Harmony and Symphony? It's hard to find because people have their TA stalk the cruise line for when the rooms drop. They get snatched up right away. You can book them on the site though, if you can find one. There are about 8-10 out there right now. 

There are a good deal if you're going to put a lot of people in them. They hold up to 14. 

That must be the one I was thinking of. If I remember right though, 14 is with many people (kids) on fold down beds from the ceiling and on couches. The actual shared spaces outside of the bedrooms was somewhat small though compared to the NCL garden villas. So I wasn't overly impressed. The balcony was a long bowling alley, as opposed to sun spaces, dining spaces, hot tub spaces, sauna spaces, etc etc.

13 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Actually, you're incorrect. If you're in an owners suite, your mini bar is fully stocked and free. Soda, water, juice, beer.... plus you get bottles of liquor in your room. The # of bottles depends on the length of your trip. Ask and you shall receive.... Owners suites and garden villas are on a whole different level of service in NCL.

Welcome Aboard SSL H1, H2, H3, H4.pdf 126.28 kB · 3 downloads

I don't believe beer is stocked in your room. Water, soda and a preset number of full bottles of alcohol are included. To their (and my) point, if you want room service from a specialty restaurant, you have to pay for it. Want a glass of wine or beer delivered with your meal? You have to pay for it. 

What is the different level of service that you get ?

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

That must be the one I was thinking of. If I remember right though, 14 is with many people (kids) on fold down beds from the ceiling and on couches. The actual shared spaces outside of the bedrooms was somewhat small though compared to the NCL garden villas. So I wasn't overly impressed. The balcony was a long bowling alley, as opposed to sun spaces, dining spaces, hot tub spaces, sauna spaces, etc etc.

You're correct. The living room area would be quite cramped with 14 people in the room. There are 4 pull down beds to use and a sofa bed. Great if you're traveling with kids. The balcony is a long, but wider than most. It has a hot tub, bar, multiple sun loungers and a table that will seat all 14. At that table you can have any food and alcohol (included in the drink package), that is offered on the ship, delivered for free. 

Would I put 14 adults in this room? No way. 

16 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Welcome Aboard SSL H1, H2, H3, H4.pdf 126.28 kB · 5 downloads

Yes we get 3 bottles of liquor at the start from that list. No beers though I asked. 😩 the form does not state beers either but i figured I’d try and see. They said no. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Stelkp First I am very excited for you.  I will answer your question.  You will have three decks.  The big one is just outside the living room.  When the ship is cruising it can get windy however it if it warm, it is delightful.  On the side there is a wind door and another deck that will shield you from the wind.  Out the Master Bedroom, there is a private deck.  Below is a you tube video that might help more. 

On what you wrote, this is the only stateroom on your ship that has water, mixers and soda's replenished upon consumption.  The butler will also bring you three bottles of spirits or wine of your choice.  The second bedroom ask for a mattress pad and the pull out couch is also comfortable.  I had five folks in my family with me and it was quite comfortable. 

I hope that help.

Thank you! That was very helpful! I need to request an extra lounger on the balcony. Great video!!

19 hours ago, Stelkp said:

First of all,  your mileage may varry but we were in a Deluxe Owners Suite last March and the balcony was unusable when Breakaway was in motion.   In fact, twice during our cruise the crew tied all the balcony furniture down, together in one huge pile, to keep it from blowing overboard.  One time they even entered our room while we were asleep to secure the furniture.  The suite is wonderful, but we are balcony people and we will not book this room again.

Regarding beer... .just ask your butler. There are things that are advertised as what is included, and there are things that are allowed if asked. We had mentioned on the Star (no Haven, but we were in the garden villa) that we could go for a nice cold beer when we got back from excursions, the fridge in the middle bedroom was stocked with lagers that afternoon. We mentioned we liked bubbly mixed with juice during breakfast, every morning with our breakfast order he would bring a bottle of bubbly for us.

Go in with the expectation that it's not guaranteed, but you'll never know if you don't ask. We've never been told 'no'. Our first experience in an OS on the Jade we met our neighbor next door in the 3br villa. He had an entire cooler stocked with beers in there the entire trip. Ask nicely, or hint at what would make your experience nice, and they usually deliver.

In an OS or villa I usually ask for a blender so I can make my own slushie concoctions. They've never told me no once.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Regarding beer... .just ask your butler. There are things that are advertised as what is included, and there are things that are allowed if asked. We had mentioned on the Star (no Haven, but we were in the garden villa) that we could go for a nice cold beer when we got back from excursions, the fridge in the middle bedroom was stocked with lagers that afternoon. We mentioned we liked bubbly mixed with juice during breakfast, every morning with our breakfast order he would bring a bottle of bubbly for us.

Go in with the expectation that it's not guaranteed, but you'll never know if you don't ask. We've never been told 'no'. Our first experience in an OS on the Jade we met our neighbor next door in the 3br villa. He had an entire cooler stocked with beers in there the entire trip. Ask nicely, or hint at what would make your experience nice, and they usually deliver.

In an OS or villa I usually ask for a blender so I can make my own slushie concoctions. They've never told me no once.

thanks for that! I never ask for things, I am to much a rule follower I guess. Figuring the rules are the rules.  I will get the guts to ask.  God knows we are paying enough lol.  We are so excited.  And I only drink beer (my husband thinks it’s hysterical) I don’t like wine or cocktails.  But I am going to try the drink of the day for the fun of it.

Enjoyed your comparison!

We have done Star class twice in 2022 and before that Haven at the end of 2019.  We probably had the exact 2BRATS on Harmony as you and also on Oasis. Those cabins for us rate a 10.  Balcony must be seen to be believed.  

We have an HA booked in 21 days aboard Escape. That's our favorite cabin on NCL ships since we enjoy a large balcony.  Price for the HA starts out much more reasonable than the 2BRATS but quickly adds up after equivalent internet, drink package, speciality dining, gratuities, etc.  Of course there really is no equivalent to Star Class.  Specialty dining is mostly limitless with Star class,  For the most part drinks are too.  I'm going to ask for a few beers to be left in my fridge and prob a few more items while on Escape.  I've paid for the most inclusive drink package aboard the ship too so all they can say is no.  

• Like 2

I was intrigued about Star Class after reading this thread.

Living 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, we are lucky to take advantage of shorter cruises without having to fly in or stay overnight prior to the cruise (which obviously adds cost). We had already been looking at a NCL Haven for April 2024 and found an equivalent cruise on RCL for approximately the same cost (though the Haven was for a 4 night, Allure 3 night so not truly equivalent).  We booked the Allure star class two bedroom aqua suite and very excited about this ship, the entertainment value of staying in this room (wow factor for the aqua theater is certainly high), plus the entire Royal Genie experience.

It was certainly no bargain, but after falling in love with the Haven and MSC’s Yacht Club, we are very excited to give this a try after reading this thread. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

I was intrigued about Star Class after reading this thread.

Living 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, we are lucky to take advantage of shorter cruises without having to fly in or stay overnight prior to the cruise (which obviously adds cost). We had already been looking at a NCL Haven for April 2024 and found an equivalent cruise on RCL for approximately the same cost (though the Haven was for a 4 night, Allure 3 night so not truly equivalent).  We booked the Allure star class two bedroom aqua suite and very excited about this ship, the entertainment value of staying in this room (wow factor for the aqua theater is certainly high), plus the entire Royal Genie experience.

It was certainly no bargain, but after falling in love with the Haven and MSC’s Yacht Club, we are very excited to give this a try after reading this thread. 

Warmest, Amy

Yes we are so excited to experience the aqua suite balcony and genie! 
I hope you have a great time!

11 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

We probably had the exact 2BRATS on Harmony as you and also on Oasis.

What the heck is a 2BRATS? Your children? The children next door to your balcony?

Aye yai yai...why must we acronym the world to death?

And yes, I know it's two bedroom aqua theater suite...but lord have mercy the acronyms.

4 hours ago, Stelkp said:

Yes we are so excited to experience the aqua suite balcony and genie! 
I hope you have a great time!

🥰 it looks wonderful. Cruise critic may be filled with people complaining or being a little (or a lot) snarky - I get it… it’s Cruise “Critic”, not Cruise “RahRah”, but but it’s threads like this that are so interesting and helpful to open up new experiences even to seasoned cruisers. 

Thanks to the OP and all the other responders. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

What the heck is a 2BRATS? Your children? The children next door to your balcony?

Aye yai yai...why must we acronym the world to death?

And yes, I know it's two bedroom aqua theater suite...but lord have mercy the acronyms.

If you don't like it, move on and don't distract the post.  But I'll see if I can get you a cookie for being the SAAM(self appointed acronym moderator).

• Haha 3

On 2/7/2023 at 10:56 AM, luckyinpa said:

i dont even know how people get cabins like they royal suite. for the fun of it i was pricing out a retirement cruise. went to mid to end of 2024. tried 3 different ships. no royals available. i guess they really do book them the day they come out. even few star lofts were available. 

The ships that offer the 4 Bedroom Villa Suite, can have up to 14 guests.  Each has Star Class benefits, so per person, can be a reasonable deal.

• Like 1