“Live” from the Royal on Mexican journey.

LadyL1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:40 PM, LadyL1 said:

I did not see this, and would most likely signed for, if available. There was The Chef’s Table”.

There was a winemaker dinner held on the evening we left Cabo. The best part of the dinner was the service headed by Sergio and his two assistants (Mabel and another waiter whose name I can’t remember).. 

The wines served were from Silverado vineyards. The white was (in my opinion  (I don’t really like white wine)) undrinkable. The red was excellent..

Now for the food:

we started with an amuse bouche consisting of a couple of snails in puff pastry. The pastry was pretty hard. The snail lacked flavor.

we then got a superb white bean soup. Very tasty.

this was followed by gnocchi in a white sauce.  Fairly edible. The main dish was tournedos Rossini. Now, I’ve eaten beef tenderloin with foie gras a number of times and it is one of my favorite dishes it was also the only reason why we chose to attend this dinner. Unfortunately  what we got served was far from my expectations and apparently that of most of the 12 attendees since most of them ended up with most of the food left on the plate… while the meat was indeed tenderloin and edible, the so-called foie grass was nothing more than a slice of pate sausage that had an awful taste.

The final item was a Napoleon that, while it didn’t look like the Napoleons I’ve eaten in the past, was very tasty.

I will not be attending another winemaker dinner anytime soon..

As an aside, we attended the super Tuscan dinner on our cruise to Hawaii in late November. That dinned was superb in every respect. It elevated our opinion of Italian red by a considerable amount and the food, all of it, was fantastic

3 hours ago, Torquato said:

There was a winemaker dinner held on the evening we left Cabo. The best part of the dinner was the service headed by Sergio and his two assistants (Mabel and another waiter whose name I can’t remember).. 

The wines served were from Silverado vineyards. The white was (in my opinion  (I don’t really like white wine)) undrinkable. The red was excellent..

Now for the food:

we started with an amuse bouche consisting of a couple of snails in puff pastry. The pastry was pretty hard. The snail lacked flavor.

we then got a superb white bean soup. Very tasty.

this was followed by gnocchi in a white sauce.  Fairly edible. The main dish was tournedos Rossini. Now, I’ve eaten beef tenderloin with foie gras a number of times and it is one of my favorite dishes it was also the only reason why we chose to attend this dinner. Unfortunately  what we got served was far from my expectations and apparently that of most of the 12 attendees since most of them ended up with most of the food left on the plate… while the meat was indeed tenderloin and edible, the so-called foie grass was nothing more than a slice of pate sausage that had an awful taste.

The final item was a Napoleon that, while it didn’t look like the Napoleons I’ve eaten in the past, was very tasty.

I will not be attending another winemaker dinner anytime soon..

As an aside, we attended the super Tuscan dinner on our cruise to Hawaii in late November. That dinned was superb in every respect. It elevated our opinion of Italian red by a considerable amount and the food, all of it, was fantastic

That is sad to hear. I loved the winemakers dinner on the Majestic. 
What is the super Tuscan dinner?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 8:23 PM, LadyL1 said:

Another perfect sea, with the temperature rising by the hour. Mid morning the whales gave us a display of breaching and blowing, then around lunchtime we sailed past Cabo San Lucas with a pretty good view of the rocks and ships at anchor.

The sun is bringing folks out onto the decks and by the pools. I had another good daily workout in the Retreat pool, and have to say this is one of the best ship’s pool I have swam in: depth ideal! It is pleasing to see that the crew really seem to adhere to the “adult only” theme to this area.

Tonight we ate in Sabatinis, which we feel is certainly the best eating venue on board. Each morning breakfast has been a pleasure, and this evening the meal was superb. Afterwards as the air temperature was 72 degrees it was fitting to finish the day with a stroll around the open deck. There were certainly more people watching the movie under the stars and a beautiful moon.

Below is the exquisite tiramisu, I had tonight.

4F98E598-D03C-4DCB-9C9D-BB2241ADFC09.jpeg

Hi! I know this is an old post, but I'm curious how the water temp was in the retreat pool? I tried to "lap" swim in the retreat pool on Discovery and the water was so cold, I couldn't even get in! Nobody used it the entire cruise because it was so cold. I'm sure it's itinerary specific and depends on what time of year,but a general idea would be helpful. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Hi! I know this is an old post, but I'm curious how the water temp was in the retreat pool? I tried to "lap" swim in the retreat pool on Discovery and the water was so cold, I couldn't even get in! Nobody used it the entire cruise because it was so cold. I'm sure it's itinerary specific and depends on what time of year,but a general idea would be helpful. Thanks! 

I think it will depend on when you cruise. I cruised on the Royal in November and in January/February. The pool was too cold for me until we got down to Mexico. Once we were in warmer weather I thought it was fine but DH thought it was still too cold. So depends on what your definition of “cold” is and also whether you are cruising in the winter or a warmer time of year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

I think it will depend on when you cruise. I cruised on the Royal in November and in January/February. The pool was too cold for me until we got down to Mexico. Once we were in warmer weather I thought it was fine but DH thought it was still too cold. So depends on what your definition of “cold” is and also whether you are cruising in the winter or a warmer time of year. 

Canada in the rain. 😂 Guess I'll hit one of the main pools before everyone wakes up 😁 Assuming I can wake up after using the plus package. Lol. Thanks!

• Haha 1