Dolphin quest?

sboston06

Hello,

we’ll be in Bermuda in April and I’m trying to decide which dolphin experience to schedule. They have an $18 option which just allows entry and viewing from the sidelines. Any interaction with the dolphins increases the cost by a lot. My daughter is 6 and I think she’d think it’s fun but not sure if it’s worth $65 for 10min with the dolphins. Has anyone done these interactions either just viewing or in the water and can comment?

1 hour ago, sboston06 said:

Has anyone done these interactions either just viewing or in the water and can comment?

I'll answer this with the preface that I'm fairly against the whole captive animal show thing. 

The $18 viewing thing is sort of misleading-- I think this is the $18 admission to the Museum of Bermuda in which the Dolphin experience sits. There are a number of area from the Museum you can see into the dolphin pens including a kids playground that is just off to the side of them. If your ship is docked at Heritage Wharf, and it's large enough, you can also see right into the dolphin pens from it. 

The Museum is very worthwhile and you should definitely spend some time there. It's a great thing to do the morning of departure if your ship is leaving early afternoon-- you are always walking distance back to the gangway. 

If its worth $65 for ten minutes to get into the water is totally up to you. Personally the complimentary swim at Horseshoe Bay is more my speed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'll answer this with the preface that I'm fairly against the whole captive animal show thing. 

The $18 viewing thing is sort of misleading-- I think this is the $18 admission to the Museum of Bermuda in which the Dolphin experience sits. There are a number of area from the Museum you can see into the dolphin pens including a kids playground that is just off to the side of them. If your ship is docked at Heritage Wharf, and it's large enough, you can also see right into the dolphin pens from it. 

The Museum is very worthwhile and you should definitely spend some time there. It's a great thing to do the morning of departure if your ship is leaving early afternoon-- you are always walking distance back to the gangway. 

If its worth $65 for ten minutes to get into the water is totally up to you. Personally the complimentary swim at Horseshoe Bay is more my speed. 

Thank you! Our ship docks at 12:30 the first day so my thought was to do the museum and dockyard that first day. We then have two full days and leave very early the following day. I don’t know much how I feel about the captivity thing. I have heard good things about this location but still on the fence. 

Edited by sboston06

1 hour ago, sboston06 said:

Hello,

we’ll be in Bermuda in April and I’m trying to decide which dolphin experience to schedule. They have an $18 option which just allows entry and viewing from the sidelines. Any interaction with the dolphins increases the cost by a lot. My daughter is 6 and I think she’d think it’s fun but not sure if it’s worth $65 for 10min with the dolphins. Has anyone done these interactions either just viewing or in the water and can comment?

As already noted, $18 is the admission fee to the museum, which also allows you to watch the dolphins. The $18 is for adult admission . There's no charge for children under age 16 .

3 hours ago, sboston06 said:

Thank you! Our ship docks at 12:30 the first day so my thought was to do the museum and dockyard that first day. We then have two full days and leave very early the following day. I don’t know much how I feel about the captivity thing. I have heard good things about this location but still on the fence. 

Of course they are going to claim they are humane and doing great things but bottom line is that dolphins are wild animals. It is not natural for them to be in captivity. Also Dolpin Quest is a profit making busness. 

Although I will answer questions about Dolphin Quest I  don't like it.

A Bermuda triva fact.  There was a dolphin show at Blue Hole that ended is scandal and was closed down. Mistreated and dead dolphins. 

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

i forgot to plug Fun Golf. It is at the Dockyard and it really is fun for chidren and adults. 

Thank you….will definitely check this out!!

Edited by sboston06

• 1 month later...

i sat and watched the dolphins with their trainers/caretakers for about an hour and loved it. they take excellent care of the dolphins!!!!  The trainers will talk to you and answer any questions. I was very impressed! one was getting its teeth brushed. It was like a big dog just laying on the trainers lap then rolling over. Seemed perfectly happy. They don't make the dolphins do things they don't want to.  Really its an amazing place and if you want to get in the water with the dolphins if thats your thing then I would recommend that place as they truly care for them!!!

3 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

i sat and watched the dolphins with their trainers/caretakers for about an hour and loved it. they take excellent care of the dolphins!!!!  The trainers will talk to you and answer any questions. I was very impressed! one was getting its teeth brushed. It was like a big dog just laying on the trainers lap then rolling over. Seemed perfectly happy. They don't make the dolphins do things they don't want to.  Really its an amazing place and if you want to get in the water with the dolphins if thats your thing then I would recommend that place as they truly care for them!!!

But dolphins are not domesticated animals like dogs. They are wild animals. Sure they do tricks since they want to get fed. Didn’t you notice the bars keeping them in ? Of course the trainers are going to say they care. A previous Dolphin program in Bermuda at Blue Hole Park was closed down because the Dolphins were mistreated. Many dolphins have died being captured. It is fun watching them. I have not swam with them but I am sure it is fun. Still it leaves a bad taste with me. They are wild animals not pets. 

• Like 2

I'm confused (nothing new there), we go to the museum each visit worth every penny for us. We check out the dolphins and last trip our 88 years old Aunt sat and watched while we walked around she loved it. When I have checked over the years the price has always been close to 300. to go in with the dolphins? What is this $65.00?  Maybe I have missed something each time? It has been a few years since I looked at the Bermuda tourist web site.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I'm confused (nothing new there), we go to the museum each visit worth every penny for us. We check out the dolphins and last trip our 88 years old Aunt sat and watched while we walked around she loved it. When I have checked over the years the price has always been close to 300. to go in with the dolphins? What is this $65.00?  Maybe I have missed something each time? It has been a few years since I looked at the Bermuda tourist web site.

Thanks

Found the answer somebody added a link in another post. Guys are to old for any of these options within a reasonable price range. Unless they want to spend the $1,250 we will just do the museum.