Transportation options from Cadiz to Saville

Gunther1

There are six of us that will be spending a port day in Cadiz in April.  All of us want to go to Saville, which is about 120k away.

HAL offers an excursion bus , but that, of course, is on their schedule.

Has anybody taken either a ride share, train (looks like there are plenty), or any other mode to get to Saville ?

Thank you in advance.

Transportation options from Cadiz to Saville

There have been many previous threads very similar to this, also debating  whther or not the journey is worthwhile for such a short time there, and whether it might be more  worthwhile staying in Cadiz and if staying, what there is to see and do.

Instead of hunting through many back pages, you can find them by using the SEARCH option.  If you never used it, go to the Spain Ports forum but not to a psrticular thread. In turn, input Seville or Cadiz into the empty SEARCH box under your username. Leave the default "this topic" or "this forum" where it is.  Hit the little spy glass and many many results should appear a few seconds later, ready for you to read.. Very informative.

Here is an example of what should appear:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2878145-seville-or-cadiz-which-one-with-only-3-4-hours/#comment-63877773

Edited by edinburgher

• 3 weeks later...
On 2.2.2023 at 23.00, Gunther1 said:

Meitä on kuusi, jotka viettävät satamapäivän Cadizissa huhtikuussa. Me kaikki haluamme mennä Savilleen, joka on noin 120 000 päässä.

HAL tarjoaa retkibussin, mutta se on tietysti heidän aikataulussaan.

Onko kukaan ottanut joko kyytiä, junaa (näyttää siltä, että niitä on paljon) tai muulla tavalla päästäkseen Savilleen?

Kiitos jo etukäteen.

You can take trein from Cádiz to Seville, it is very near of the port area. Enjoy your trip!

I am going to guess that you are going to Seville as part of the Nieuw Statendam cruise.  If that is the case you get a nice long port day (I believe the ship does not leave until 11pm).  Because you do have that long day, I think taking the train to Seville is a reasonable option.  DW and I have really enjoyed Seville (once stayed there a few days in a small hotel that had a cooking school).  If you are good walkers it is possible to walk from the ship to the train station, but the distance will depend on whether you have to leave the port from the nearest gate versus being able to cut through another section of the port.  If you must head directly out to the street, trying to grab a taxi or public bus will save you some valuable time. 

That being said, we also enjoy Cadiz, which is a very walkable city with an OK commercial center.

Hank

We took the train to Seville and the bus back.  But it was a number of years ago. And I believe we had to take at least one public bus to get to where we wanted to go once we were in Seville, though I'm sure we could have used a taxi.  So while it was reasonably easy, it wasn't something I'd do without a bit of pre-planning.  Plus, we're going back to Cadiz and I googled RENFE's train schedule.  It seems rather bleak for getting to Seville quickly in April.  I don't know if that's because more trains are put on when summer rolls around, or if that's because on the previous cruise we arrived at 8 instead of the current 9, or what. But with the bus and train times (both take about same time), and a desire to eat on the ship and then go into Cadiz for a couple hours, even with our 9 AM to 10 PM visit, I'm not sure I want to go to Seville again.  But if you haven't been, I would definitely say it's worth it.  But to make it easier on yourself, you may want to see if your ship offers a "Seville on Your Own" excursion, where transport is provided but little else. 

We used Spaindaytours and are using them again in April, they were very good and you can semi-custom your experience ( Walking tour with sites or get there and go on your own) ; while having the security of having someone else prepare your travel and get you back to the ship on time with others from your ship. We normally do; on our own, but when it is over 1 1/2 hour from ship we look for safe return alternatives.

We used Spain Day Tours just last week for this trip, wonderful experience! Highly recommend. Trip was awesome, we had a full bus of about 29 people. They split us up into 2 groups for a walking tour of Sevilla, then a guided tour of Alcazar, then time for lunch and shopping and back to port in plenty of time.