Maui - Fun activity for active Grampy and 6 year old granddaughter

mooline

Hi everyone,

Four of us in a group of 6 are going horseback riding on Maui. Our sweet 6 year old granddaughter just misses the min age for riding, and 6' 5" Grampy exceed the weight limit (even though he's not huge!)

What ideas can you offer for a fun time for the two of them? He's very active, as is she (of course). They spend a lot of time together and greatly enjoy each other's company. She is 6 going on 26...

All ideas welcome, especially fun, wacky, and creative ones!

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

So maybe go to the Cat Cafe at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center? Or check special events at the center.

We have read about the Cat  Cafe in Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (not to be confused with the Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina), and it sounds like a great choice for cat lovers!  

You can check out the stores in the center and then you might consider spending some time in Maui Mall Village (right across the street from the POA pedestrian exit).  A casual place, but you'll have the Fun Factory; Baskin Robbins; Tasaka Guri Guri (look that one up, as it is a legend here); Whole Foods; a big Long's Drugs and so on.  Not enough for a long visit, but something to hopefully keep both granddaughter and grandpa happily occupied while you are gone.

• Like 1

We are on POA, so docking in Kahului. We've actually just booked the riding experience. We're going to Triple L in Kula, which I understand is 5 minutes from Maui Wine, if that helps. (I’m not concerned about distance, since we're overnight in port that day.)

Grampy and his pal don’t have to do something nearby the ranch, anywhere is ok.

One ship sponsored shore excursion I’m thinking of is called North Shore Beach and Waterfall Walk. Looks like a combo of sightseeing, shopping and sit down lunch, all on the North Shore. Thoughts?

I do like the options suggested by you, Silver Sweethearts, and will take a look at those. Might make for a shorter day, and they will have the ship right there for easy return if she gets bored or antsy (or if she spends all of his money!).

With this added clarification, any other ideas?

Thanks to all! 💕

I read the "North Shore Beach and Waterfall Walk" itinerary. Not a chance I'd pay $500 (for two) for that and I think your daughter would be bored silly. I'd still head to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center for a bit and if they want some beach time, the beach at the Kanahā Pond Wildlife Sanctuary is right next to the harbor and nice enough, or the beach on the other side of the harbor, in front of the Maui Seaside Hotel.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mooline said:

We are on POA, so docking in Kahului. We've actually just booked the riding experience. We're going to Triple L in Kula, which I understand is 5 minutes from Maui Wine, if that helps. (I’m not concerned about distance, since we're overnight in port that day.)

Grampy and his pal don’t have to do something nearby the ranch, anywhere is ok.

One ship sponsored shore excursion I’m thinking of is called North Shore Beach and Waterfall Walk. Looks like a combo of sightseeing, shopping and sit down lunch, all on the North Shore. Thoughts?

Yes.  Don't do it.  As scottca075 mentioned, she would be past bored.  We live Upcountry and know it well.  The area just doesn't have much for a six-year-old visitor unless they like art galleries and driving around a lot.  The drive up here and beyond is pretty though and, as you may well know, it should take you about an hour from the POA to Triple L.

• Like 2

Scottca075, I saw your comments on another post in this forum asking about options for Maui, and Lahaina was mentioned. There is an option to take a motorcoach sponsored by our ship and spend the day in Lahaina. Might this be a better option for Grampy and his belle? it's cheaper than the NorthShore tour, by a lot, but honestly money isn't the driving factor in our choices.

What in Lahaina would most appeal to a 6 year old (who does like art, has never been on a motor coach, eats constantly, and loves to spend her grandparents' money)?

Lahaina looks a bit like Key West from the video and description on NCL's website - is that an accurate assumption?

By the way, on our second second day in Maui, all of the family is doing the Molokini Crater & Snorkel Tour, just so you have frame of reference.

Really appreciating everyone's input, ideas and help.  🙂

31 minutes ago, mooline said:

Scottca075, I saw your comments on another post in this forum asking about options for Maui, and Lahaina was mentioned. There is an option to take a motorcoach sponsored by our ship and spend the day in Lahaina. Might this be a better option for Grampy and his belle? it's cheaper than the NorthShore tour, by a lot, but honestly money isn't the driving factor in our choices.

Lahaina is a very cute, very old town with lots of art galleries, "cute" shops (not my thing, but a 6yo might like them) and lots of good food appropriate for a 6yo.

31 minutes ago, mooline said:

Lahaina looks a bit like Key West from the video and description on NCL's website - is that an accurate assumption?

I guess you could say Lahaina is Key West without the cats.

• Like 2

Ok, then, this may be coming together. In addition to the Lahaina on your own, there's the Atlantis sub, with time after to explore Lahaina. We've done a sub in Grand Cayman, so Grampy has an idea of what to expect on that, but the 6 year old has never been on a boat, let alone a sub. (Of course, she will be on a BIG boat on the ride to Maui!)

Thoughts?

The submarine would work, leaves from Lahaina marina. From there you are in the center of Lahaina with lots of cute shops to walk around.

I haven’t see Ocean Center recommended. It’s quite nice and geared for kids. I love the 3D humpback experience (albeit short ). You can always watch twice (which is our minimum). There is also a kid area and I believe they allowed kids to pet/hold starfish, octopus, etc…

Attached to Ocean center is Maalae’a Bay marina with shopping and eats. I also enjoy waking around the marina seeing what the fishermen bring in. The beauty of this location is that you don’t need to cross the Pali from kahalui to Lahaina. Just today traffic was backed up at the tunnel and it took us an hour and a half to cross. No accident, just whale distraction. When there’s an accident it’s brutal. 

• Like 2

Thank you both.

So, it looks like the sub can work, but the downside is a possibly long bus ride. We'll be past whale season (June), but still something to consider.

Two votes for the Ocean Center! Good to hear. My hesitation with that excursion is she has been to some very good animal parks/aquariums. Nonetheless, it may be a great option! 

One more consideration:

Of these two choices (sub and Ocean Center, each with associated shopping and meal options) which one is likely to have better and safer bathroom options (e.g. : a "family bathroom")? I know this may sound absurd, but I (GMom) do have a little anxiety over how to manage this, given that he may need privacy if he has to go, and the world is too crazy to let her go into a multi stall public restroom by herself.

Thanks to all of you for all of your help with this!

Edited by mooline

On 2/14/2023 at 1:02 AM, mooline said:

One more consideration:

Of these two choices (sub and Ocean Center, each with associated shopping and meal options) which one is likely to have better and safer bathroom options (e.g. : a "family bathroom")? I know this may sound absurd, but I (GMom) do have a little anxiety over how to manage this, given that he may need privacy if he has to go, and the world is too crazy to let her go into a multi stall public restroom by herself.

We are personally not big on either venue and won't comment about that, but must comment that if the dock for the submarine is in Lahaina Harbor next to the banyan tree, avoid the area under the tree and the public bathrooms.  Unless thinngs have changed recently, it is home to a certain transient population you would do best to avoid.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 7:47 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

We are personally not big on either venue and won't comment about that, but must comment that if the dock for the submarine is in Lahaina Harbor next to the banyan tree, avoid the area under the tree and the public bathrooms.  Unless thinngs have changed recently, it is home to a certain transient population you would do best to avoid.

Things have not changed, and the sub leaves from Lahaina Harbor. 

May I ask why you are not a fan of ocean

center? I trust your expertise and am wondering if there is a political issue (as is the case with so many marine parks).

I was at Whale Tales yesterday at the Ritz and Ocean Center put on a great educational exhibit for kids (and us adults). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Have booked the Ocean Center; they are doing a morning excursion and will be back on the ship for a late lunch. Hopefully with many off on shore excursions they can enjoy a little less crowded time at the pool, or maybe the Kids Club will be open and Grampy can catch a nap! 😜

Thanks so much to all for the awesome guidance!!