Prince Rupert ??

Anyislandwilldo

We did it like 12 years ago so things will be different by now. I loved it as it was not Touristy port. My friend went on a ship excursion that was like a Water Rapids excursion.  My son and I just walked around the port area and ate clam chowder, bought salmon, photographed eagles and walked up a hill to safeway to buy gingerale and other snacks. 

• Like 1

We were in Prince Rupert on a port call, but it was several years ago.  

Any time we are in a port which doesn't have either a Diamonds International or Tanzanite International store I find it refreshing.  Definitely not as touristy.

We visited the Museum of Northern British Columbia which was well curated, enjoyed a lovely lunch at a restaurant which overlooked the small boat harbor and visited an artists co-op (where our purchases were appreciated).

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2023 at 9:36 PM, riffatsea said:

It's not just Carnival 

Our Princess cruise in May also got switched 

I heard it has to do with an endangered sea creature

We don't have excursions listed yet either 

Still lots of time to plan

That excuse sounds very fishy to me!

• Like 1

Check out the Northern Pacific Cannery National Historic Site.  https://northpacificcannery.ca/  Sounds blah but it was extremely interesting.  The town also has a really great regional museum.   We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert on our AK driving trip and we enjoyed ourselves very much even when it was raining.

DON

• Like 1

We went to Prince Rupert last year.  It was a surprise highlight.  The port is fantastic.  We did the canning tour mentioned earlier and it was fantastic (both my parents and my kids thought it was one of the best things we did on the cruise).  There was also a nice museum and a small, but beautiful garden, in town close to the port that we visited.  The shops right by the port were also really nice.  I got a beautiful necklace and bracelet at the local artist shop there.  Oh, and we also went to Tim Hortons and got some good coffee.

We were the only ship in port that day and the town was thrilled to have us.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, donaldsc said:

Check out the Northern Pacific Cannery National Historic Site.  https://northpacificcannery.ca/  Sounds blah but it was extremely interesting.  The town also has a really great regional museum.   We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert on our AK driving trip and we enjoyed ourselves very much even when it was raining.

DON

Did you do a ship excursion for this or on your own?  If on your own, how did you get there?

2 hours ago, sharichka said:

Did you do a ship excursion for this or on your own?  If on your own, how did you get there?

If you ship has an excursion to the museum grab it.  We were on our own.  We were nearing the end of a 3 month driving trip in AK and Prince Rupert was where we got off the Alaska Marine Highway ferry and started heading back to Vegas.  It did take us maybe 2 or 3 weeks to get back to Vegas w the planned and unplanned stops we made on the way home.  We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert even though it was raining a lot.  Hope that you have better weather than we had but you will enjoy yourself there regardless of the weather.

DON

Hello! 

I live near Prince Rupert....

It is quite a small town, but right where the ship docks is called Cow Bay and has some lovely shops. There are also amazing seafood restaurants (Dolly's is our fave) and a new brewery that's just opened. There is a canning museum in Port Edward that is interesting and tells a lot about the history of the area. You can do whale watching and bear watching excursions. If you like hiking, there are some beautiful trails in the area, two are  Butze falls/ Butze rapids if you like waterfalls. Of you are able to hire a car, 2 hours drive from Rupert up the Nass Valley are some tourist stops- The Peeing Tree (haha) Lava Lake, Nass Hot Springs, Nass Valley Lava Beds, and Rosswood General Store. Lots of hiking in that area as well. Hope that helps a bit??? 

Cheers

• Like 2