What is the status of Skagway for 2023 season?

Panhandle Couple

4 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Is Princess cancelling any Skagway stops for their big ships?  We are on the Royal in June.

We are on the Royal Princess in 2 weeks; the new Skagway port schedule still has us there for the full day at RRF...likely means we will have to boat tender.

The first Royal Princess sailing of the season at Skagway is this Tuesday 5/9 at RRF--guess we will see how that goes.

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

We are on the Royal Princess in 2 weeks; the new Skagway port schedule still has us there for the full day at RRF...likely means we will have to boat tender.

The first Royal Princess sailing of the season at Skagway is this Tuesday 5/9 at RRF--guess we will see how that goes.

We were on Princess last year and had to tender in Skagway.  Things went very smoothly so hopefully, it will be the same for us this year.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Please let us know how it all worked out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lindsay0526 said:

Yup, we just got cancellation for Skagway in July and I'm not happy about it. We are going to Icy Strait Point that day instead... and it does not look appealing.

We ended up there last year.  I recommend the whale watching tour.  The boats are new, made specifically for this venture.  It was a cold wet gray day, and everyone still enjoyed it as the boats are heated and enclosed for traveling to-from the whale feeding areas.  

Boarding the excursion is the same dock as the cruise ship uses, so no hassle or long walk.

Although ISP is very small, I would also get the crab dinner at the crab house there.  A short walk.

15 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Is Princess cancelling any Skagway stops for their big ships?  We are on the Royal in June.

I'm on the Majestic May 27th and have not heard anything yet about cancelling the Skagway stop.  I think I'll give Princess a call next week and see if they've got any further information.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SportsFanatic said:

It was updated on 5/3.  https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

Thanks for the info. When I clicked on the link it still said Feb. 27th. So I fiddled with the URL, changing the "2" to "5" and it gave me the current listing. It must have something to do with cookies.

We are on the Majestic Princess for August 19, 2023 cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.  I received an email from Princess, confirming our booking.  I noticed that we will be taking a water shuttle in Skagway on August 23.  That's better than skipping Skagway.  Since we have not booked any shore excursions, we will take a later water shuttle into town.   

• Like 1

I am on Radiance of the Seas August 18th, and they move us from RRF to ORE.  I have the White Pass Rail booked in the morning, so unless they move us again, we should be good.  Personally, I am really glad they moved us and hope we don’t move again.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 9:15 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

agree- ISP is a great stop

We were in ISP a couple of years ago & are going back July on the QE with our son. We went on a whale watching tour with https://wooshkeetaantours.com/about-us/ & are scheduled to go with him again. Saw whales breaching & a mother whale & baby followed us back towards the port for about 20 minutes. It was like they knew his boat. He was local. Not a fancy boat, but he was very knowable. Knew all about the Salmon fishing and the way it worked as an industry.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:59 PM, Cherful59 said:

I am on Radiance of the Seas August 18th, and they move us from RRF to ORE.  I have the White Pass Rail booked in the morning, so unless they move us again, we should be good.  Personally, I am really glad they moved us and hope we don’t move again.

well, for the fact that they switched us with a SilverSea ship on May 29th on Radiance, with our capacity being 2400 and theirs being 500, I think they were going for the "having to tender the least amount of people" strategy....and if that is the case, we are good! haha

I got REALLY excited when I saw that switch to Ore hahaha

• 1 month later...

We were in Skagway on the 13th of this month on the Holland America Koningsdam.  There were FOUR ships in port per the attached Panorama pic.  Our ship and the Grand Princess directly next to us were just disembarking directly to the docks.  The Royal Princess (closest tp the landslide area) was tendering (all day).  The Celebrity Solstice behind it actually appeared to be "bussing" people in long Greyhound style buses along the pier (past the landslide area) - I actually did NOT see it tendering.

20230613_064512.jpg

20230613_064451.jpg

Edited by cabland
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, cabland said:

We were in Skagway on the 13th of this month on the Holland America Koningsdam.  There were FOUR ships in port per the attached Panorama pic.  Our ship and the Grand Princess directly next to us were just disembarking directly to the docks.  The Royal Princess (closest tp the landslide area) was tendering (all day).  The Celebrity Solstice behind it actually appeared to be "bussing" people in long Greyhound style buses along the pier (past the landslide area) - I actually did NOT see it tendering.

20230613_064512.jpg

20230613_064451.jpg

Just back on Celebrity Edge after a day in Skagway. I can confirm that this is still the same situation.

Max capacity seems to be 4 ships. Today, two HAL ships were docked almost in front of town, a Princess ship and our Celebrity Edge were exactly docked as here above.

The Princess was tendering, because that ship is exactly in front of the ‘landslide area’.

Our Edge needed to be bussed. It was announced that the busses would be running every 10 minutes, but it was a continuous loop of busses. So luckily no waiting at all for me. (I have to admit that we docked at 0700hrs, and I disembarked at 1100hrs, let’s blame the Premium Drinking package 🙈. I can imagine that queues are expected when you want to be off the ship early morning).

Eventually the bus ride was just 2 minutes.

It seems that things are not solved here for 2024. The ground staff told me that after the 2022 landslide, a second (but smaller) landslide occured in 2023, hence the bussing.

I really hate to be depending of busses and tenders, as I am a walking guy, but I have to admit that the process (also coming back to the ship) was a breeze.

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_9883.jpeg

IMG_9884.png

Edited by GVM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2