A change of heart at P&O?

pennib

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you change your bedding twice a week at home? Not very environmentally friendly if you do, all that water and electricity being wasted!!!!!

Not the point. We don’t have a full breakfast, a sit down lunch and a 3 course dinner every day at home either, and we don’t have live comedians and a cast of dancers and singers to entertain us after our evening meal. Our expectations on holiday are different. I would also imagine that people’s nocturnal practices are also different on holiday so changes of bedding would be welcomed! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Think you are missing the point. Doesn't matter if expectations are a bit different. You don't go to a hotel or go abroad and see the beds being changed everyday..... If people really want a change of sheets then just ask its not hard.

Edited by carlanthony24

2 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Think you are missing the point. Doesn't matter if expectations are a bit different. You don't go to a hotel or go abroad and see the beds being changed everyday..... If people really want a change of sheets then just ask its not hard.

Not expecting a daily change. Just once every 3 days or so.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not expecting a daily change. Just once every 3 days or so.

Even then you go to a decent hotel now some may still do it but most do it weekly again no difference from being at home. You don't do it at home every 3 days etc so most companies think now what is the point.. 

It is a lot harder for crew to do things on a ship compared to being on dry land. Not only take care of guests but have to cope with doing stuff behind the scenes you don't get to see.

Edited by carlanthony24

11 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Even then you go to a decent hotel now some may still do it but most do it weekly again no difference from being at home. You don't do it at home every 3 days etc so most companies think now what is the point.. 

It is a lot harder for crew to do things on a ship compared to being on dry land. Not only take care of guests but have to cope with doing stuff behind the scenes you don't get to see.

Sorry, that's not my problem.

I expect a certain standard, which I expect to be met. Princess, Cunard etc can meet those standards ( and Princess are the same price as P&O), so obviously P&O are cutting corners. 

It is a slippery downward slope.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I expect a certain standard, which I expect to be met. Princess, Cunard etc can meet those standards ( and Princess are the same price as P&O), so obviously P&O are cutting corners. 

But it is not just P&O. Who knows Princess etc could be next to do the same. I am inclined to think they will follow suit.

On the subject of Princess, bed changes are easier for their stewards as there isn't a full duvet to change. For those of you who haven't experienced this, there is a sheet on the bed, with a duvet in a cover which is like a fitted sheet. It is si much quicker than faffing around with a full duvet cover and less exertion is involved.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I can think of much better ways for P&O to increase their spending on passengers, than to change the bed sheets more than once a week. Although I am intrigued as to which nocturnal activities Ardennais does on holiday, that needs regular fresh sheets.

If there is extra money, let's have an improvement in food choice and quality, in the MDR,  and lunch and evening buffet, much more worthwhile than an extra bed linen change.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I can think of much better ways for P&O to increase their spending on passengers, than to change the bed sheets more than once a week. Although I am intrigued as to which nocturnal activities Ardennais does on holiday, that needs regular fresh sheets.

If there is extra money, let's have an improvement in food choice and quality, in the MDR,  and lunch and evening buffet, much more worthwhile than an extra bed linen change.

Personally never had a bad meal portions a little tiny but just asked for more. Judging by another site portions seem to have increased.

34 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

On the subject of Princess, bed changes are easier for their stewards as there isn't a full duvet to change. For those of you who haven't experienced this, there is a sheet on the bed, with a duvet in a cover which is like a fitted sheet. It is si much quicker than faffing around with a full duvet cover and less exertion is involved.

Same on P&O. We had a duvet sewn into the cover!

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Eating snacks in bed! 
Seriously, don’t you remember holidays when you were young(er) and still working? Spending quality time with your other half and all that!! 

Another point, my daughters change their bed linen quite often especially in summer as they tend to use fake tan which can stain if left too long. Looks dirty too.  

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Nobody said anything about expecting them changed every day. 

35 minutes ago, snaefell said:

I wonder how many would blame the pandemic for any changes,since lockdown ended we have stayed in hotels which basically blame the pandemic for rooms not being serviced as often & sheets not being changed until there is a change of occupancy.

Our company now asks guests to let us know before midday if they would like anything changing and most say no we don't need anything or we would just like fresh towels after a week the rooms automatically get refreshed if it is the same guest. Not sure if they use to do it before or was on request.

Some guests have even said we do not need bed linen changed "they don't even change them after a couple of days where they live". 

Edited by carlanthony24

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

I refer to previous messages just not by myself you don't do it at home unless really necessary. Most companies nowadays are following suit. It really is not difficult to ask them to change it. 

I don’t understand your first sentence. 

19 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Our company now asks guests to let us know before midday if they would like anything changing and most say no we don't need anything or we would just like fresh towels after a week the rooms automatically get refreshed if it is the same guest. Not sure if they use to do it before or was on request.

Some guests have even said we do not need bed linen changed "they don't even change them after a couple of days where they live". 

What sort of company are you talking about?

Most people wouldn’t change their bedlinen at home ‘after a couple of days’ unless they had staff! That’s not the point, however. We are discussing a paid holiday here. 

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

You said every 4 days would be reasonable. I just said I refer to previous messages. Most people don't even do that at home.

We are NOT discussing what happens at home! That is the whole point. We go on holiday for experiences which are better/different to our everyday life and we pay for it. Otherwise stay at home, cook your own food, clear your own table, wash your own dishes! 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

What sort of company are you talking about?

Most people wouldn’t change their bedlinen at home ‘after a couple of days’ unless they had staff! That’s not the point, however. We are discussing a paid holiday here. 

Well P&O don't change sheets till every week believe Royal and NCL also moved to doing the same from what I was reading. "Reducing the impact on the environment" It is a paid holiday yes. You go on a holiday that is not a cruise guarantee places are doing the same as above, but the bigger picture that companies are now realising you simply don't do it every couple of days at home so what is the point. Hotels are just starting to do the same now. Like I said if people are really fussed about this simply ask it really isn't hard too. 

I also quote from TerrierJohn.

"Do you change your bedding twice a week at home?"

Post 94 onwards starts talking about home.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

Well P&O don't change sheets till every week believe Royal were also moved to doing the same from what I was reading. It is a paid holiday yes but the bigger picture that companies are now realising you simply don't do it every couple of days at home so what is the point. Hotels are just starting to do the same now. Like I said if people are really fussed about this simply ask. 

Well P&O don't change sheets till every week believe Royal were also moved to doing the same from what I was reading. It is a paid holiday yes but the bigger picture that companies are now realising you simply don't do it every couple of days at home so what is the point. Hotels are just starting to do the same now. Like I said if people are really fussed about this simply ask. 

Yes, sometimes I do. In the summer, for instance, when it’s very hot. A lot of my female friends are also of an age where they suffer from night flushes and they also change bedding frequently. Medication can also cause excessive sweating. 

That is, however, not the point as I keep reiterating. Unless you have a sofa in your cabin, you will spend a lot of time lounging on the bed too and I bet people don’t always take off their footwear. Another reason for a change of bedding on holiday!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Yes, sometimes I do. In the summer, for instance, when it’s very hot. A lot of my female friends are also of an age where they suffer from night flushes and they also change bedding frequently. Medication can also cause excessive sweating. 

That is, however, not the point as I keep reiterating. Unless you have a sofa in your cabin, you will spend a lot of time lounging on the bed too and I bet people don’t always take off their footwear. Another reason for a change of bedding on holiday!  

Personal preference I guess. Don't know where you get you will spend a lot of time lounging on the bed. Most of the time people will either be on the balcony or around the ship. Most even stated they use just for sleeping. If people don't take off footwear that is down to them and only affects them no one else. Like I said all they need to do is ask.

Everyone has different views that is fine. It is all personal preference at the end of the day. I wonder how many complain onboard about it or send a message to head office. I bet if they complained onboard then the sheets would be changed every day, every couple of days, how ever often they would like. 

Just been reading another site and interesting a lot saying the same thing changing linen daily, every couple of days etc is not a thing they would like. This was over 4 years ago even mentions Disney changed every 5 days. 

Edited by carlanthony24

22 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We are NOT discussing what happens at home! That is the whole point. We go on holiday for experiences which are better/different to our everyday life and we pay for it. Otherwise stay at home, cook your own food, clear your own table, wash your own dishes! 

+1

A holiday is meant to be something different,  and a bit special. I don't care how often people change their sheets at home - that is totally irrelevant. 

• Like 3