Galveston/Outside Galveston Hotel help

slyster

Hi there. My brother booked a hotel in Galveston at the Holiday Inn Express Galveston Beach for $235 a night.  Well, now he and his spouse have treated the in-laws with a free cruise.  They are paying for airfare, hotel, and the cruise.  He is now looking for a hotel that is cheaper since he now has to pay for 2 hotel rooms.  

They plan on arriving the night (saturday) before their cruise on Sunday (Galveston, Allure of Seas).  They are flying into Hobby airport. 

Can anyone share good options?    He is looking to spend between $100-$150 a night for each room if that's possible.

I see a Red Roof and a Quality Inn with decent ratings (4+/5 customer reviews) on the island that seem to be running $50-100 less per room than other hotels nearby. They probably don't have a shuttle to the port so factor in extra transportation if that applies.

What some people do is stay near the airport in a hotel that has an airport shuttle, take the shuttle to the hotel, stay overnight, take the free hotel shuttle BACK to the airport and catch a paid shuttle to the cruise port in Galveston. He might be able to find a less expensive hotel around Hobby than on the island.

56 minutes ago, slyster said:

Can anyone share good options?    He is looking to spend between $100-$150 a night for each room if that's possible.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?&q=galveston%2C tx&searchSessionId=A78C05F4F1525E895CD306B13A9733271675537300806ssid&sid=216BFB4FE1B7459194B346871D31D5DE1675537327546&blockRedirect=true&ssrc=h&isSingleSearch=true&geo=1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:30 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Let us know when the cruise is happening. Galveston is a tourist destination and hotel rates vary substantially depending on the season and what's happening on the island.

sure...apologies....August 26, over night, cruise leaves August 27.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, Cuckoo7 said:

You can generally get better deals north of Galveston.  We've stayed in League City, Texas City and Houston, good hotels for all around the price you mention.

Thank you.  I have not heard of League City or Texas City.  I know Houston is near the airport so I am not sure they want to be that far away, but if it's in their price range, they may do that.  Thanks again!

30 minutes ago, slyster said:

I see several options near Hobby for around $100/room (for 2 people) that have free airport shuttles if you want to go that route.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, jbrinkm said:

I see a Red Roof and a Quality Inn with decent ratings (4+/5 customer reviews) on the island that seem to be running $50-100 less per room than other hotels nearby. They probably don't have a shuttle to the port so factor in extra transportation if that applies.

What some people do is stay near the airport in a hotel that has an airport shuttle, take the shuttle to the hotel, stay overnight, take the free hotel shuttle BACK to the airport and catch a paid shuttle to the cruise port in Galveston. He might be able to find a less expensive hotel around Hobby than on the island.

Thank you!  This is helpful.  I hadn't considered Houston to be an option.  I will have him check out Red roof inn and Quality Inn.

55 minutes ago, slyster said:

That shouldn't be as expensive as earlier in the summer as here in Texas the public schools and universities will be back in session. Also, none of the big festivals then.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slyster said:

Thank you!  This is helpful.  I hadn't considered Houston to be an option.  I will have him check out Red roof inn and Quality Inn.

Yikes...Red Roof Inn is $349 a night and Quality Inn is $289 a night.  

I'll have them check out Houston, League City, and Texas City.  Appreciate your help!

33 minutes ago, slyster said:

Yikes...Red Roof Inn is $349 a night and Quality Inn is $289 a night.  

I'll have them check out Houston, League City, and Texas City.  Appreciate your help!

Yeah, I was putting in random dates and seeing lower prices, before the actual dates were shared. Everything must already have gone up for those dates on the island...

I DID put in the actual dates for the hotels near Hobby, so those $100 nightly rates should be accurate. 

13 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

The lowest chain hotel I see on the island with exact dates is Springhill Suites by Marriott for $179. There are some independent places to stay that are slightly lower but I don't know anything about them.

Thank you!  That was very kind!  He mentioned Best Western, Texas City being around $85 a night.  I think he's going to book there.  He asked if Lyft was there best option in the morning to the pier.  I believe so.

• Like 1