Excursions from Livorno

dreamboat43

I would love some recommendations for Celebrity excursions from Livorno.  Our ship will be in Port Livorno for two full days and we would like to take advantage of our time there.  I'm mainly interested in Florence and Cinque Terre Villages.   We will be there mid-June.   

• Like 1

You are going to be seriously hard pressed to do both...as the Cinque Terre is 2 hours away by car, and Florence, IIRC, is a little under 90 minutes a different direction.

We don't have all the excursions memorized, so a more specific question would be beneficial.

Your ship is overnight in Livorno, correct?  You could possibly do both but it would be a busy 2 days.  Personally, I would prioritize Florence over Cinque Terre... Florence is full of history...   Also, we really enjoyed our day in Siena - very well preserved smaller city.    Does Celebrity offer an overnight excursion to Florence with a hotel stay?  I would consider that and try to do Florence and Siena.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we are on a June Celebrity cruise also, overnight in Livorno.There are either 3 or 4 of us. First day we are planning to get on high speed train to Florence on our own. Returning in the early evening. Second day we are looking at tours to Sienna or Lucca.

Celebrity does offer a tour to Cinque Terre.

I do understand that the OP is asking about excursions.  But we would be remiss in not suggesting, that with an overnight in Livorno, one could do well by taking the train to Florence and spending the night.  You would get the better part of two days in that fabulous city and also be able to enjoy a decent local restaurant (and the city) long after most of the day trippers have departed.

Hank

Second day we are looking at tours to Sienna or Lucca.

A good suggestion from Hank  one worth considering.

I would take Sienna out of your plans.  A very long journey each way (around 2 hours or so)so not ideal for a port day.

OTOH, Lucca is aTuscan gem and an easy DIY by train from Livorno. It is very popular with cruise pax and can be combined with a stop at Pisa, or not, as it is your choice. Once in Lucca, there is really no need for a guide as the historic centre and the walls are a joy to stroll around. One entrance to the historic centre is only a two minute walk across the street from Lucca train staion.

As so popular, there have been many many previous threads on both Pisa and Lucca which you could find easily by using the SEARCH box under your username as that is faster and easier than back paging.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1