Ships not docking at Lanzarote as per itinerary

MadMichelle

Is there anywhere I can find the probability that a ship won't dock at Lanzarote when it's on the itinerary? I'm looking to board there but it's not the start of the cruise. I have permission from P&O, but they can't guarantee it will stop there. I suppose I'm looking for the percentage of times engine trouble /weather etc has caused a ship to bypass this port.

31 minutes ago, MadMichelle said:

Thanks for the reply. When you say this season, are there particular months that it more likely? 

July August is generally the windiest months however the Calima can cause problems Jan/Feb. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for wind speeds a few days before you join.

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

July August is generally the windiest months however the Calima can cause problems Jan/Feb. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for wind speeds a few days before you join.

Thanks for this. We're going mid March. I'm about to book and I will have to choose whether I embark on the start port of Tenerife or the next due port of Lanzarote, which is where I'll actually be and would be far easier (& cheaper). I'm told I can't change the port once I've chosen it as there's a lot involved in embarking on a different port once the cruise is underway. 

Out of interest does your permission from P&O have terms and conditions (small print?) attached regarding a contingency plan (or liability) in the event they don't keep their side of the agreement, i.e., by not docking in Lanzarote?

Edited by DamianG

Just now, DamianG said:

Out of interest does your permission from P&O have terms and conditions (small print?) attached regarding contingency (or liability) in the event they don't keep their side of the agreement by docking in Lanzarote?

I've only had verbal permission, I'm sure I'd get the formal permission when I book. I was told it's my risk if they don't dock in Lanzarote as they're making an exception letting me board there, but I'm going to call them again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMichelle said:

I've only had verbal permission, I'm sure I'd get the formal permission when I book. I was told it's my risk if they don't dock in Lanzarote as they're making an exception letting me board there, but I'm going to call them again. 

P&O have confirmed (verbally by checking their own T&Cs) that if they don't dock at Lanzarote then the risk is down to me, no liability on their part as it's not an offered option of the cruise package to get embark/disembark at other ports. Worth an ask. 

Edited by MadMichelle
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MadMichelle said:

P&O have confirmed (verbally by checking their own T&Cs) that if they don't dock at Lanzarote then the risk is down to me, no liability on their part as it's not an offered option of the cruise package to get embark/disembark at other ports. Worth an ask. 

It all depends on your appetite for risk. It’s basic risk assessment. There is the probability of the ship not docking. I have no access to any statistics, it not a tender port but it’s been reported post #2 that there has been a failure to dock “quite a few times this season because of the wind” so it’s a distinct possibility IMHO.

This must be weighed up against the consequences of this occurrence. The loss of this cruise? or the cost and feasibility of travelling to the next port at short notice even if P&O would allow this, I believe that other cruise lines have allowed this when the departure port has been missed due to flight delays etc. If you are already in Lanzarote, only you can decide that the benefit of avoiding the cost and hassle of travelling to Tenerife is worth putting yourself through the stress. Sorry not to be more positive.