Wheelchair rental

mar915

We are leaving frim San Juan in April on the Voyager of the Seas. My mom has a severe vision loss and uses a rolling walker since October.  I am concerned about her getting off the ship at different ports and trying to make it to the taxi areas. I am looking into renting a lightweight wheelchair but not sure how hard that will be when trying to get a taxi and putting it in the taxi.  Last year in Mexico cruise many ports had someone to take you in a wheelchair from the ships since many ports are a long distance. I don't think she needs it on the ship because I can guide her.  Any suggestions on how to rent one in San Juan and if it's difficult to take one off in Southern Caribbean ports?

Edited by mar915

https://www.cloudofgoods.com/cruise-rentals/port-of-san-juan_5_131

The gangway works fine for wheelchairs and scooters.  Because of the decline angle, you may want to push her down backwards, so she doesn't feel like she is falling out.  There should be a lap strap as well, but not for sure.  

At 30 dollars a day, it's almost the same as buying one, it's called a transfer wheelchair, just make note of the seat size as they can be too narrow for comfort. Any medical device store near you sells them, so does Amazon all about 200 bucks.

They are easy to collapse and fit in a trunk of a taxi or on a van, not too heavy. 

My mother has two travel wheelchairs from Amazon. One has four small wheels and is lighter, but not as good on cobblestones. The other is the more typical kind with two small and two big wheels, which was better on cobblestones and she can also push it herself.

I've put both into and out of taxis and Ubers - it isn't to bad. We used Uber in San Juan and had no issues.  The one with the big wheels is more unwieldy, but worth it for it's flexibility.

Someone from the ship always pushed her up the gangway.

Also, you didn't ask, but at Labadee (and I assume Coco Kay), they have sand wheel chairs that they can use to push people out to chairs, clam shells, etc. They are pretty cool - they have giant squishy tires.