Low sodium meals

CruiserN1

We'll be sailing on Rotterdam in about 6 weeks, our first on HAL and also our first since my husband's doctor put him on a low sodium diet. I know there is an option to request low sodium meals. Has anyone done this? Can they prepare any/some dishes on the regular menu as low sodium or do they have a separate low-sodium menu? Husband is concerned he'll be served flavorless meat and veggies if he requests the low sodium meals.

Let them know on the first night that you would like "no salt" meals.  They will deliver the next evening's menu to you for you to make your selection for the following night.  They will do this every night so that your "no salt" meals can be prepared ahead of time.

p.s. I tasted my wife's "no salt" meals a few times and they actually tasted saltier than mine.  I think it is the substitute they use.

• Like 2

From "Know Before You Go" on HAL's website:

Special Diets and Meals: Kosher, Passover Seder dinner, salt-free, fat-free, baby food, diabetic and other special dietary needs can be accommodated only with advance notification. For special meal arrangements, please contact the Ship Services Department at 1-800-541-1576 (or email: hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com) at least 90 days prior to departure. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

I would think contacting Ship Services would allow you to ask specific questions like how the food will be prepared, what to expect and whether salt substitutes would be used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr663 said:

From "Know Before You Go" on HAL's website:

Special Diets and Meals: Kosher, Passover Seder dinner, salt-free, fat-free, baby food, diabetic and other special dietary needs can be accommodated only with advance notification. For special meal arrangements, please contact the Ship Services Department at 1-800-541-1576 (or email: hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com) at least 90 days prior to departure. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

I would think contacting Ship Services would allow you to ask specific questions like how the food will be prepared, what to expect and whether salt substitutes would be used.

This ^^

We both have special dietary needs, one due to serious celiac disease and the other with an allergy to a single ingredient,

We always contact the equivalent of the Special Needs service at any cruise line (including HAL) well before sailing.   They they'll be expecting you, etc.

And we've always eaten at "whatever time we wish", including on HAL where there is a fixed time option.  We never had a problem.  However, we ALWAYS remind the waitstaff when we order, and then again as we are served, "This is the GLUTEN FREE portion, correct?" or "This has NO <ingredient>, correct?"

On HAL on our most recent cruise, on about the 3rd night, we had a particularly pleasant and efficient waiter, so we started asking for his area.  He got to know us, even though we didn't have the exact same table.  It didn't take long before almost as soon as we arrived, a bottle of our preferred sparkling water was presented, along with, "Would you like your wine this evening?"  He remember we always asked for the same wine.  HOW they have such memories, including names, will baffle me forever. 😉 

But even then, as we were served, we always asked, "This is the...., correct?" as we would do in any restaurant.

On another cruise line, I once happened to mention, and was overheard, saying something like, "I wish I could have X, but it's made with y" - and soon a chef type showed up and asked if I would like to arrange any particular evening when they could make me a "y-free" version.

They all really do try!

🙂 

GC

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Thanks everyone. I see that HAL requires 90 days notice. We just booked this cruise a few weeks ago and depart in 39 days. Am I too late to make this request?

Nah, make the call ASAP. They will do their best!

Edited by crystalspin

2 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

Thanks everyone. I see that HAL requires 90 days notice. We just booked this cruise a few weeks ago and depart in 39 days. Am I too late to make this request?

As crystalspin already wrote, just call asap.

The full advance time would probably be more critical if some special provisioning were needed for truly "special" meals, not things that can be made on board with regular ingredients (or, in this case, with a regular ingredient omitted!).

But your goal is to make it as easy for them as possible to help you with what you need, right?

There are almost definitely going to be quite a few others with "low sodium" or "no added sodium" requests, so don't worry... just let them know.

And then enjoy!

GC

Our travel agent always (still) asks us if we (or any member of our traveling party) has any special dietary needs whenever we book a trip.  Very conscientious of him, and then he notes it on the booking.  We have a relative that is gluten free and HAL has lots of ways to make many of their dishes without gluten, including the gluten free pasta in Canaletto.  It is amazing that with all the people aboard they can cater to all the people with special restrictions as well as they can.