Forbes piece on the HAL food Scene

kangforpres

It makes it sound like everything onboard is a Michelin stared like foodie experience, of course we all know better but still a nice piece

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abigailabesamis/2023/01/31/inside-the-dining-program-at-holland-america-line/?fbclid=IwAR0u43DxGOgc13pOS60yw9Ayv8q6Al6SIOlpQsoqVUEUiuiLomHgR42pAmw&sh=392366a9373f

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The author of this piece is quite impressive.  Look at her own web site and the lead story is "14 Halloween Nail Polishes that are Scary Beautiful."  And then there is "15 Neutral Nail Polishes to Wear at the Office this Fall."  or how about "How to Spot a Pair of Sandals that Won't Give you Blisters."  All important topics that certainly makes one the perfect writer to cover HAL food :).  The article reads like a HAL Press Release.  So, apparently this writer got comped to a 7-day Alaskan cruise and came away as the expert on HAL cuisine.  Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I agree it reads like a HAL press release and is clearly an effort by HAL's marketing team.  I applaud the effort--anything HAL does to market themselves as a more upscale line hopefully will result in them continuing to *act* like an upscale line.

I do find the timing of this article interesting, though, as others here have reported getting an email survey from HAL asking how much they are swayed by the celebrity chefs on the Culinary Council.

Finally, based on my two HAL cruises in the past six months, I do have to say that the quality and variety of food onboard is pretty dang impressive.  They're serving a couple thousand people at every meal but generally manage to elevate their offerings beyond typical institutional fare.  The good food is certainly one reason my family continues to sail HAL.

• Like 3

I expect banquet food on cruise ships, and HAL offers often very good banquet food. I think it is unrealistic to expect much more, even in the specialty restaurants for the price.  

Agree, thousands of meals three times a day in less than ideal  facilities, with limited fresh food sources, and even rocky seas. 24/7 How do they do it as well as they do?

I get fed, I get a clean comfortable room, I get a travel experience and it does not break my budget. I am happy. And I only unpacked once.

But I would be even happier if they brought back the libraries and turned off the G.D.  piped in music, so I can truly feel the full magnificence of being at sea with all the sounds including the hum of the engines and the breaking waves. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, kangforpres said:

Have any of you ever seen the "Alaskan Cod Sandwich" on the dive in menu? I'm thinking they made that special for her

I thought the same thing.  I'm pretty confident I would have ordered one if I saw it on the menu.

4 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

One fancy Filet-O-Fish sandwich to go please🐟

You know, I was wondering if she actually HAD that sandwich (or just saw it the press release HAL gave her). And if she DID have a fish sandwich, there are some pretty good fish take-out places in Alaska. 

Edited to add: I just reread that article. She never says that SHE experienced any of this. "Guests can enjoy..." Not "I enjoyed..." 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Haha 1