First time in LA

CruisinShips

Hi all.  I was wondering if I could get some advice please.  This October will be our first time visiting LA, and we will be flying in a couple of days early (Friday, for a cruise that departs on Sunday) to do a little sightseeing.  I am getting some mixed suggestions from people who know the area though...maybe someone on here can help please?

I think we should do the touristy things around LA...some are telling us to stay in West Hollywood (which is far from the cruise port it seems), others are telling us we should stay around Santa Monica (also far from the cruise port).

I know there are places closer, but since we will be in the area on Friday and Saturday before we board...I guess it makes sense to stay in one of the other areas I mentioned.  Any thoughts from those who know better?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I think we should do the touristy things around LA...some are telling us to stay in West Hollywood (which is far from the cruise port it seems), others are telling us we should stay around Santa Monica (also far from the cruise port).

You've actually been given good advice-- they major tourists sites in LA are nowhere near the cruise ports of San Pedro or Long Beach. Assuming you are flying into LAX-- West Hollywood/Santa Monica are not far away and are good bases for touring. Just jump in an Uber the day of your cruise and head down to the port. 

West Hollywood will put you near a lot of the main tourist things although it is sort of like staying in the LA version of Times Square which personally is a negative for me. Santa Monica is great-- nice beach town with a ton of things that are walkable (not a common thing in LA) with great restaurants and nice selection of hotel options from midrange to high end. If budget is less of a concern there are also some great options to stay in Beverly Hills which will be a very high end residential feel compared to the other two. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You've actually been given good advice-- they major tourists sites in LA are nowhere near the cruise ports of San Pedro or Long Beach. Assuming you are flying into LAX-- West Hollywood/Santa Monica are not far away and are good bases for touring. Just jump in an Uber the day of your cruise and head down to the port. 

West Hollywood will put you near a lot of the main tourist things although it is sort of like staying in the LA version of Times Square which personally is a negative for me. Santa Monica is great-- nice beach town with a ton of things that are walkable (not a common thing in LA) with great restaurants and nice selection of hotel options from midrange to high end. If budget is less of a concern there are also some great options to stay in Beverly Hills which will be a very high end residential feel compared to the other two. 

Thank you.  You confirmed my thoughts, and didn't help with my dilemma over which area to choose though! 😉 I know the touristy sights like the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame, etc. are likely overrated and cheesy, but a part of me feels like we need to see them.   Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I know the touristy sights like the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame, etc. are likely overrated and cheesy, but a part of me feels like we need to see them.

And you should go see them-- just stay in Santa Monica. Hollywood strip isn't far away and an easy car ride or Uber. You'll be a lot happier with yourself coming home to the beach at night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

And you should go see them-- just stay in Santa Monica. Hollywood strip isn't far away and an easy car ride or Uber. You'll be a lot happier with yourself coming home to the beach at night. 

Sold! 🙂

I am a local...lived in various parts of Southern California virtually my entire life.

My number one recommendation--by far--is Santa Monica.  Epecially if you won't have a car or don't want to deal with driving/parking in LA.

Santa Monica hotels can be pricey...but worth every dollar.  First off, it is in one of the better neighborhoods of LA--better weather (and, yes, that varies greatly in SoCal from one area to another), more upscale, safer, more pedestrian friendly...

From Santa Monica, you can pick up all sorts of tours into Hollywood, etc. or you can get the HOHO bus...or, if you are brave and want to try and figure it out, you can even use the Metro to get to Downtown and Hollywood.  But, most importantly, it gives you a lot of iconic LA attractions within easy walking distance or a short Uber ride.  And there is lots to do in the evenings as well.

Stay in a hotel near the Santa Monica Pier/Third Street Promenade/Palisades Park.  Loews, Marriott LeMarigot, Fairmont Miramar, Huntley, Shutters-on-the-Beach, Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn, Pierside (formerly Wyndham), Georgian, Ocean View...

You can find a lot of shops and restaurants nearby...Lots of street performers along the Third Street Promenade...walk along the cliffs at Palisades Park at sunset...enjoy the attractions on the Santa Monica Pier.  The iconic Venice Beach Boardwalk is a short Uber ride (or even public bus) away.  It's a quick Uber ride to the Getty Center Museum or to the Getty Villa...

It's about a ten mile Uber ride north of LAX...and 30 miles south to get to San Pedro for the cruise...really not all that bad...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I am a local...lived in various parts of Southern California virtually my entire life.

My number one recommendation--by far--is Santa Monica.  Epecially if you won't have a car or don't want to deal with driving/parking in LA.

Santa Monica hotels can be pricey...but worth every dollar.  First off, it is in one of the better neighborhoods of LA--better weather (and, yes, that varies greatly in SoCal from one area to another), more upscale, safer, more pedestrian friendly...

From Santa Monica, you can pick up all sorts of tours into Hollywood, etc. or you can get the HOHO bus...or, if you are brave and want to try and figure it out, you can even use the Metro to get to Downtown and Hollywood.  But, most importantly, it gives you a lot of iconic LA attractions within easy walking distance or a short Uber ride.  And there is lots to do in the evenings as well.

Stay in a hotel near the Santa Monica Pier/Third Street Promenade/Palisades Park.  Loews, Marriott LeMarigot, Fairmont Miramar, Huntley, Shutters-on-the-Beach, Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn, Pierside (formerly Wyndham), Georgian, Ocean View...

You can find a lot of shops and restaurants nearby...Lots of street performers along the Third Street Promenade...walk along the cliffs at Palisades Park at sunset...enjoy the attractions on the Santa Monica Pier.  The iconic Venice Beach Boardwalk is a short Uber ride (or even public bus) away.  It's a quick Uber ride to the Getty Center Museum or to the Getty Villa...

It's about a ten mile Uber ride north of LAX...and 30 miles south to get to San Pedro for the cruise...really not all that bad...

Wonderful!  Thanks so much.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Bruin Steve said:

In LA for first time next month and was thinking of taking the HOHO bus.  Have read that it might not be a good option to see much but we have used HoHo buses in many places and have been pleased with what we saw.  Where do you get on/buy tickets and are there several different routes to choose from?  If so, which would be a better route for someone slightly mobility-challenged but still able to get around fairly well?  Thanks for all your wonderful information.

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe said:

In LA for first time next month and was thinking of taking the HOHO bus.  Have read that it might not be a good option to see much but we have used HoHo buses in many places and have been pleased with what we saw.  Where do you get on/buy tickets and are there several different routes to choose from?  If so, which would be a better route for someone slightly mobility-challenged but still able to get around fairly well?  Thanks for all your wonderful information.

The LA HoHo bus covers an area much, MUCH larger than most HoHo buses in other cities, which is one reason it is a poor substitute for other means of transportation.

That said, the original loop through Hollywood and Beverly Hills is a good tour and value.

But if I was staying in Santa Monica or Downtown LA I would not use those HoHo loops to get to the Hollywood loop. From DTLA I'd use the subway to get to Hollywood and from Santa Monica I'd use a Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to get to the Hollywood loop.

https://www.starlinetours.com/en/hop-on-hop-off-double-decker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe said:

Some people like HOHO buses, others don't.  If there is a problem doing it in a city as large and widespread as Los Angeles, it's this:  In order to even somewhat efficiently cover it, the route is made up of three "loops"--Santa Monica, Hollywood and Downtown.  In order to get to all of them, one must change buses twice.  The loops each operate limited hours for some odd reason...And, since each loop takes a couple of hours even if you don't get off the bus anywhere, you really need to plan out your day carefully so as to avoid being stranded far from home.  And there is inefficiency built in since you need to take the entire loop...you can't, for example, just go to Hollywood/Highland and return directly.  You can get on anywhere and buy your tickets on the bus, I believe...or buy them at a kiosk at some stops or ahead of time on the website:

https://www.starlinetours.com/en/city-sightseeing-hop-on-hop-off-double-decker

On the other hand, there are several tour companies serving LA providing more traditional tours...everything from two-hours to full days...which are much easier to figure out as they plan it all for you.  Most either start their tours from Hollywood or from Santa Monica.  Many will pick up at most Santa Monica hotels while others have convenient start points either on Ocean Avenue or on the Third Street Promenade.  If using ANY tour, contact them directly and ask about pick-up/starting point.

Personally, unless I was thoroughly organized and armed with all sorts of contingency plans, I would find a complete standard tour rather than a HOHO in Los Angeles.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1