Newbie very confused on what to do about drink packages

kimberlydrzymala

Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been covered before but the more I read the more confused I am becoming.

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers and have traveled in the lower cost Suites in the past and I guess because of what automatically comes with Suites on Celebrity I assumed Azamara was the same. (I know bad assumption) This is our first Azamara cruise.

This is our 30th wedding anniversary so we splurged big on an owner's suite on Journey traveling in the Med and again I assumed we would have the highest level drink package. Now that I am sure that is not the case I am wondering instead of spending 600.00 to upgrade our drink package it might be better to purchase the indulgence package which also includes the ultimate drink package, an OBC, a night a the chief's table, ETC. 

I thought the unlimited wifi was included with our cabin but honestly I am not even sure about that. Also, can someone tell me if we did upgrade the drink package either just the drinks or the indulgence package would we be able to get a better selection of bottles in our room? 

I understood in the upper level cabin's you could also order off the specialty menu and you could have this served course by course in your room. If that is the case and we purchase the ultimate drink package would we get the wine we are looking for served with our meal?

I appreciate any insight the experienced Azamara cruisers can provide!

Firstly, free Wifi on 1 device is included in the Owners Suite. You can also eat in the speciality restaurants every night at no charge (but make sure you book as soon as you get onboard). In addition you get $300 OBC and a free bag of laundry every 7 days. You should get some free spirits in your room. Exactly what seems to vary at the moment, as I think there are some supply issues. It might be 1 large bottle or a few smaller ones. You can talk to your butler about which spirit(s) you prefer.

In order to decide if you want to buy the Indulgence Package you need to work out if it’s  worth it for you. You will already have 1 free Wifi, laundry and the Speciality Restaurants plus some OBC. It might be better value for you to just buy the Ultimate Drinks package. 
I’m really not sure about having wines in the cabin if you have the Ultimate package - others here may have a better idea about this.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Firstly, free Wifi on 1 device is included in the Owners Suite. You can also eat in the speciality restaurants every night at no charge (but make sure you book as soon as you get onboard). In addition you get $300 OBC and a free bag of laundry every 7 days. You should get some free spirits in your room. Exactly what seems to vary at the moment, as I think there are some supply issues. It might be 1 large bottle or a few smaller ones. You can talk to your butler about which spirit(s) you prefer.

In order to decide if you want to buy the Indulgence Package you need to work out if it’s  worth it for you. You will already have 1 free Wifi, laundry and the Speciality Restaurants plus some OBC. It might be better value for you to just buy the Ultimate Drinks package. 
I’m really not sure about having wines in the cabin if you have the Ultimate package - others here may have a better idea about this.

Good advice, just to add the OBC is $300 person so actually $600 also the 10 biggest suites will be invited to the Best of the Best dinner hosted by the senior officers when the Executive Chef gets creative and courses are paired with fine wines. This is probably a step up from the Chef’s Table so it’s worth considering whether you want that as well.

• Like 4

The indulgence package represents much better value on longer cruises - i.e. longer than 14 days. Individual Mediterranean cruises (not multiple or consecutive) tend to be comparatively short. You haven't specified the duration of your cruise.

So many of the benefits of the indulgence package are already included in your suite 'package' that the ultimate drinks package, (or a wines package) might be the best value for you. It should be possible to do an evaluation comparing benefits vs cost.

As for some of your other questions - I don't have answers.

• Like 1

I'd agree with blag, the Indulgence package makes most sense if you are on a long cruise. I'm currently on a 17 night cruise in a CC suite and it has worked for me. Buying internet for 2 devices each and an Ultimate drinks package for 17 nights for 2 would have come to not far short of the package price. Plus I got some excursion and spa credit worth $950 between the two (but bear in mind the prices for both are eye watering so you don't get much for your 'money".

If you're on a shorter cruise, can manage with a single device for internet and are doing your own thing with excursions, it's probably not worth it.

To answer your other questions, I don't believe the Ultimate package affects what spirits you get in your room. I don't drink spirits so I gave them back. The replacement wine I asked for never materialised. On wine with dinner served in your suite, yes they bring you whatever wine you want, but not by the bottle, just by the glass. But that does come pretty fast, the butler is good and I guess would be especially responsive for the big suites. If wine is your interest, there is a separate thread on current wines on the Ultimate package (but they do change a lot).

At the risk of confusing you further, there is at least one poster on here who would suggest you either buy a 'by the bottle' package (I think there are two levels for this) and then the whole bottles are all yours to use how you wish. Or, if you are willing, to just buy your own wine beforehand and bring it onboard and forget about a package. You pay a $10 corkage if you take it into public areas but nothing if drunk in your suite. You are going to wine producing countries so you can pick up a bottle or two in each port. Of course you can also have any of the included wines if you happen to be in a bar but as this poster says, bring your own guarantees you get what you like.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your replies. Now that I understand what is included it makes it much easier to compare the packages. Our cruise is a 12 night cruise and we have already spent all our OBC from Azamara and still have 5 ports to go so the additional credits to spend on shore excursions will not go to waste. I cannot wait until we get on our first Azamara cruise!! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Oslo Dutch said:

Also, note that Suite guests can have breakfast at Aqualina every day. We thoroughly enjoyed that on our last cruise.

We were disappointed and avoided it. One more than one occasion we were brought the wrong food, despite emphasis on our part, and it was usually tepid by the time it reached the table!

11 hours ago, Oslo Dutch said:

Also, note that Suite guests can have breakfast at Aqualina every day. We thoroughly enjoyed that on our last cruise.

As did we.  The Eggs Benedict were much better than those in the regular dining areas – different bacon, freshly made Hollandaise, piping hot.  The ambience is quiet, and the service is quick.

• Like 5