Help for foodies going to Mexico for the first time

clairebearinaus

Hello, 

I'm seeking your advice to help us plan walking tours of Cabo/PV/Mazatlan.

We're excited to experience authentic Mexican street food - not being from the US we're not really exposed to it other than TexMex style chain restaurants that serve nachos/burritos/tacos.  So I'd appreciate advice on interesting foods we should be trying, and where best to try them.  We're aiming to explore all 3 ports on foot; I'm sure we will be hitting up some of the big tourist spots on the waterfront for the view and atmosphere, but would also like to poke around the back streets to visit places the locals like to eat at.  

Also keen to do a tequila tasting and any other must-dos involving drinking, if you have any favourite places to do that please share.

Thanks

Have a look at this site with lots of information about food in Puerto Vallarta.

Also maps and more.

https://vallartainfo.com/street-food/

We also like La Burrita Marinera, it is a small eatery close to the stadium.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d14106286-r783140233-La_Burrita_Marinera-Puerto_Vallarta.html

Edited by Ine
  • Thanks 1

In Cabo, there are small food truck type restaurants behind vendor booth B17 and B18 along the marina promenade. We had great (and inexpensive) fish tacos at La Jarocha

In Mazatlan, I highly recommend the Barrio Bites Tour through

https://www.flavorteller.com/

Also, in Mazatlan go to Maz Tamales for fresh made tamales. They are a block east of Plaza Machado. Go early as they sell out.

(Mercado Pino Suarez, C. Benito Juárez 1308-Interior A, Centro, 82000 Mazatlán, Sin., Mexico)

IMG_5113.jpeg

in Mazatlan we got a chance to try Pescado Zarendeado! Whole fish butterflied open, marinated in a special sauce, then cooked over coals. It was fantastic! Takes some time to cook, but it’s worth it! 

We ordered it at La Costa Marinera along with the best Coconut Shrimp I have ever had!

I’m sure there are other places to order these dishes, but if you do go to La Costa Marinera, DO NOT eat on the patio. You will have a stream of beach vendors trying to sell you stuff and several bands (with horns and drums) trying to compete for your attention. Not a peaceful beach experience. Try to sit indoors away from the public beach area. 

Mazatlan is known for their fresh shrimp. 

If you want, I can recommend a van tour operator that does a special tour where he helps you buy food like a local and then brings you to a kitchen to prepare authentic Mazatlan food.

Good luck!

1DBE5603-93EE-468E-84B8-858BB8F257AC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

If you want authentic Mexican street food forget taco filling like al pastor, carne asada, barbacoa and carnitas, which seem exotic in some parts of the world and are popular at tourist spots in Mexico. If you can’t find a taco stand with one or more of the following fillings, you probably aren't getting authentic Mexican street food as defined by what average Mexicans eat.Those fillings are cabeza, lengua, tripa, buche, birria, cachete, cueritos and oreja. If you can find one that offers chapulines  you know you’ve found REALLY authentic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you want authentic Mexican street food forget taco filling like al pastor, carne asada, barbacoa and carnitas, which seem exotic in some parts of the world and are popular at tourist spots in Mexico. If you can’t find a taco stand with one or more of the following fillings, you probably aren't getting authentic Mexican street food as defined by what average Mexicans eat.Those fillings are cabeza, lengua, tripa, buche, birria, cachete, cueritos and oreja. If you can find one that offers chapulines  you know you’ve found REALLY authentic.

While I don't disagree with you, I think those who consider "Taco Bell" Mexican food that it might be a bit too much for them to start eating....brain, tongue and intestines etc.....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cacruisin said:

While I don't disagree with you, I think those who consider "Taco Bell" Mexican food that it might be a bit too much for them to start eating....brain, tongue and intestines etc.....lol

Mmmmm, brains....

In the old country one side of the family ate haggis and the other side ate lutefisk so tongue and brains seems quite unadventurous 😁

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 11:57 AM, cacruisin said:

I am a bit confused by the last few posts.  I should mention that we live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year (am there now) and are very familiar with the street food (which we can get right outside our Condo).  In this part of Mexico it is not about intestines, trippa, etc.  What you will generally find with the street vendors are tacos al pastor (this town is well known for that item), tacos with various sausage such as the very popular chorizo.   Shrimp and fish tacos are also legitimate street food, although those vendors are not as common as meat based tacos (at least around here).  I should add that we have lots of great shrimp and fish dishes found in many area restaurants.  Seafood is wildly popular here in Puerto Vallarta.  In terms of fish the most common is Mahi Mahi with Red Snapper in 2nd place :).  We also see "Sea Bass" on quite a few menus (in better restaurants) although one person's sea bass is another's Patagonia toothfish :).

Hank

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am a bit confused by the last few posts.  I should mention that we live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year (am there now) and are very familiar with....

You need to travel more out of Puerto Vallarta. I travel on business regularly to Monterrey, Mexico City, Northern Baja and Veracruz. My parents had a home in PV for more than 30 years until they sold it in 2017. Not every taqueria has the ingredients I mentioned, but most have two or three and then there are regional variations of what is popular in that area. I didn't even mention things like costillo, cecina, longaniza, chuleta, etc.

Then we can have the discussion on if al pastor is "authentic" Mexican food, since it came from Lebanon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/23/2023 at 8:57 PM, CUontheC said:

How did you get here from the cruise port?   Which tour did  you do?

I’m also interested in vallartaeats tour.  Did you happen to go? Which tour did you take and how did you get there from the cruise port? 

Hope you enjoy (or enjoyed) your trip. 

I am generally in Vallarta most Novembers.  I tend to take first time visitors on a street food tour immediately after they get off the plane.  I have used Vallarta Food Tours (https://vallartafoodtours.com)     most often. The day of the week and the time of day your ship is in port may impact what organized tour you and your group can take.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, MSN-Travelers said:

I am generally in Vallarta most Novembers.  I tend to take first time visitors on a street food tour immediately after they get off the plane.  I have used Vallarta Food Tours (https://vallartafoodtours.com)     most often. The day of the week and the time of day your ship is in port may impact what organized tour you and your group can take.

Enjoy!

Oh, this I am very interested in! Do you take the first-timers on the Original Downtown Tour?

Thank you!

22 hours ago, dizzlepop said:

Oh, this I am very interested in! Do you take the first-timers on the Original Downtown Tour?

Thank you!

We have done the Original Downtown tour ourselves but take our first time guests on The Street, the night time street food/taco stand tour.  We are timeshare resort visitors with over two decades of eating experience.  The eating habits of the locals are different from up north and most cruisers are back on the ship before dinner service starts for street and restaurant venues.   

It's hard to get people past food phobias based on preconceived notions. These tours go a long way toward showing that great food is available away from the well known restaurants.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MSN-Travelers said:

We have done the Original Downtown tour ourselves but take our first time guests on The Street, the night time street food/taco stand tour.  We are timeshare resort visitors with over two decades of eating experience.  The eating habits of the locals are different from up north and most cruisers are back on the ship before dinner service starts for street and restaurant venues.   

It's hard to get people past food phobias based on preconceived notions. These tours go a long way toward showing that great food is available away from the well known restaurants.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Booked the Original Downtown as we're cruising and the evening one's cutting it close. Very much looking forward!