Grand Cayman snorkeling?

Teak66

• 2 weeks later...

We have done Cemetery Beach, Smith Cove, Eden Rock and a reef close to the Stingray Bar.  Eden Rock was the best.  There is a sunken  ship, The Kittiwake, that is a cool snorkel but you have to take a tour.  Next trip we will try Cheeseburger Reef on 7-Mile.  It is right in town.   Google best snorkel spots in Grand Caymen.

• 10 months later...

We are trying to decide between Eden Rock and a private excursion to the barrier reef and "the aquarium." We are experienced snorkelers but I have some concern that DH won't like ER if it's very wavy. Thoughts?

Edited by MJC

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is too late--just saw this.  Interesting about "the aquarium."  The first time we went on a boat in GC, we stopped at a place that they called the aquarium.  It did have lots of fish and was a very nice stop.  After that, nobody we asked knew what area we meant.  So, maybe it's just an area that the captain thinks has lots of fish?  The barrier reef has some lovely areas where the reef is healthy and there are lots of fish.  There are also areas that appear to have had too many snorkelers--those are probably closer to Stingray City.  I'm assuming that on a private tour, you'll be taken to the better places.  Plus, I typically like the boat ride itself.  On the other hand, Eden Rock is probably my favorite spot to snorkel in GC.  However, it is subject to winds and there have been days when we thought it was too rough to go in.  On a good weather day, both choices would be great.  

Thank you so much for your reply. I recently learned "the aquarium" is more properly called the Coral Garden. It is difficult to find a good snorkel tour that doesn't include lots of other stuff we don't want to do (like touching the sealife).  I am still looking around for a good fit for us. We cruise in April.

• Like 1

I get your dilemma.  It makes sense that the aquarium is Coral Garden.  It's a patch reef area not too far from the barrier reef.  We've been a few times, though maybe we've been to slightly different parts, as sometimes it's seemed pretty minimal and other times, more lush.  We've seen stingrays, a moray eel, and many pretty smaller fish.  Another option is Cemetery Beach, but you have to get there by either taxi or public bus/van.  It's north of Seven Mile Beach.  There are also trips to the Kittiwake, which is a ship they purposely sank also north of Seven Mile Beach, but a bit off shore.  I thought it wasn't that great for snorkelers, as it's in about 60 feet of water so you don't see much.  I'm mentioning it because we also had a stop at Boggy Sand Reef (something like that) that was a really nice area to snorkel.  I know that I typically like to plan things out, but if you wait to see what the weather/winds are going to be, you may be able to tell what it will be like at Eden Rock when you'll be there.  That has the most extensive reef...