Let's talk luggage.

vacationut

57 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Hank @Hlitner is correct, as always.  

Lifetime warranties are worthless.  If a zipper or hinge or another part on a luggage fails while traveling, and the contents of the bag spill all over the tarmac or loading dock, I could not care less if I get my money back or I get the bag repaired.  I damage caused by the failure of the luggage part is much greater to a traveler than the cost of getting the failed part replaced or repaired.  

The guarantee is hardly “worthless” if it gets wheels put back on. (Loss of a wheel happens to be one of the most frequent damage suffered - so focusing on the contents being spilled is not really relevant).  In any event, the better made luggage is less likely to have that happen.

2 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Hank @Hlitner is correct, as always.  

Lifetime warranties are worthless.  If a zipper or hinge or another part on a luggage fails while traveling, and the contents of the bag spill all over the tarmac or loading dock, I could not care less if I get my money back or I get the bag repaired.  I damage caused by the failure of the luggage part is much greater to a traveler than the cost of getting the failed part replaced or repaired.  

Which is why Hank (and I [for many years] and most airline crew) uses TravelPro luggage.

Duffel bag? ROTFL

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The guarantee is hardly “worthless” if it gets wheels put back on. (Loss of a wheel happens to be one of the most frequent damage suffered - so focusing on the contents being spilled is not really relevant).  In any event, the better made luggage is less likely to have that happen.

So if you were in the Navy and served on six ships, how did the repair of wheels on your luggage work if the wheels broke?  Did the luggage company sent your luggage back to your ship, or, if your wheels on your luggage broke, did you take it to the ship's machine shop to get it fixed?  

7 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

So if you were in the Navy and served on six ships, how did the repair of wheels on your luggage work if the wheels broke?  Did the luggage company sent your luggage back to your ship, or, if your wheels on your luggage broke, did you take it to the ship's machine shop to get it fixed?  

We are posting on Cruise Critic - not talking about about bringing gear on board a Navy ship.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:29 PM, kelkel2 said:

Cheaper isn’t always better ...

Agree, and "Cheapest of the cheap" is rarely the optimal choice; however, I'd word it this way:  High price does not guarantee top quality.  

On 2/13/2023 at 7:48 AM, pdmlynek said:

... Lifetime warranties are worthless ...

I strongly suspect that most damaged luggage just gets tossed -- even if it came with a warranty.  How many people will register the luggage when it's new, then save the warranty information, take the time (possibly money) to send the luggage to the approved fixer, then wait for it to be returned?  Not many people.  

Off-shoot:  When I was in college I worked for about a year at an upscale camping supply store -- loved that job.  You probably know that most name brand day packs guarantee their seams and zippers for life (and if you damage a day pack, the seams and zippers are almost certainly what you'll damage).  One of my tasks was taking in damaged packs /sending them to the appropriate company, who could either repair or replace at their discretion.  (FYI:  They always replace.)  At back-to-school time we sold backpacks galore, yet very few were brought back to take advantage of the guarantee -- people like the guarantee when they're buying, but they don't want to go to the trouble, and they don't want to do without the item for months (yes, months).  The vast majority of people just bought something new.  

On 2/14/2023 at 3:06 AM, pdmlynek said:

AFAIK, Airline crews don't check lugage; they just use carryons.  

True.  When I was a small child, both of my parents worked for the now-defunct Eastern Airlines, so we could fly space-available -- and, wow, we did!  We had a plethora of these tiny suitcases around the house -- they were about the size of 6 lunchboxes combined, and they were lightweight, flimsy plastic in the company's navy blue signature color -- this was pre-wheeled luggage.  They zipped.  When flying space-available, that's all we were allowed to carry.  Even as a child, I could easily carry one by myself -- were my parents allowed more than one?  I don't remember.