How long can one reasonably spend at the Sulphur Springs? Anything else in the area? Taxi cost?

Jezo

Coming on the last day of a long cruise and wanted to get to the sulphur springs.  If we take our own transportation out there, like a taxi or private car, how long can we expect to stay over there?  Is there anything else to do or will we go into the crowded springs, take our mud pictures like everyone else, and be ready to go in 20 minutes?

Speaking of getting there, what is the best way to get there from the cruise port and what would the expect round trip cost be?

8 hours ago, Jezo said:

Coming on the last day of a long cruise and wanted to get to the sulphur springs.  If we take our own transportation out there, like a taxi or private car, how long can we expect to stay over there?  Is there anything else to do or will we go into the crowded springs, take our mud pictures like everyone else, and be ready to go in 20 minutes?

Speaking of getting there, what is the best way to get there from the cruise port and what would the expect round trip cost be?

The mud baths? Reasonably, 30 minutes is long enough, they're wicked hot. You really can soak for a long time in the mud baths - it's get in (if you can, it's hot!), slather mud, let it dry, rinse off.  The entire park, an hour or so if you do the volcano educational walk.  

You can then go to Piton Falls, a warm water mineral baths and soak for longer - more temperate, absolutely beautiful and great to wash the last of the muds off..

Or Tet Paul Trail for stunning views (about an hour walk/hike).

Or Diamond Falls and Botanical Gardens, stunning old botanical gardens, mineral baths, waterfall, etc. 

Chocolate experiences

Beach and snorkeling.

Jerusalem Falls

Sapphire Falls

Multiple excellent lunch spots. 

And so forth.

Soufriere is the heart of the island, there's tons to do, unfortunately you're very limited in time..

It'll take 60-75 minutes to get to the Sulphur Springs. There's one road down. Leave Soufriere in plenty of time to get back . 

We will be there from 8AM to 6PM, so I think that's enough time to not rush.

All of these look interesting but not quite walkable to each other.  Would I need to hire a taxi all day or can I get them to and from each spot?  How much are taxies on this island?

I could see us doing the volcano hot mud baths, Piton Falls looks perfect, and then one more thing like the nature trails or botanical gardens.

Any idea how we could get from one spot to another on our own?

2 hours ago, Jezo said:

We will be there from 8AM to 6PM, so I think that's enough time to not rush.

All of these look interesting but not quite walkable to each other.  Would I need to hire a taxi all day or can I get them to and from each spot?  How much are taxies on this island?

I could see us doing the volcano hot mud baths, Piton Falls looks perfect, and then one more thing like the nature trails or botanical gardens.

Any idea how we could get from one spot to another on our own?

Whomever drives you from the airport will essentially be your driver for the day. They'll wait at each stop for you and take you to the next, and bring you back.  You can expect to lay around $225-250 or so for the day. (it's $90 one to Soufriere, so really works out much better to just hire them for the day).

And no, they're not walkable between them.  Or they could be, but you're looking at 90 minutes steep mountainous walk between Sulphur Springs and Piton Falls, then again at least 90 minutes from PF to Diamond Falls, or whatnot. No sidewalks for most of it, along a narrow mountain highway... 

5 hours ago, Jezo said:

We are coming on a cruise though, not an airplane.  Wont have anyone driving us from an airport.

Obviously a typo and meant port. Same thing. Exact same process. Whomever drives you from the port. Which is also next door to the airport. 

🤦🏻‍♀️🙄

Are all of the taxis at the port regulated or should I find a car service for the day?

How does getting a taxi here work, especially with hiring one for the day?  Do they provide up front prices or will I need to negotiate? 

10 hours ago, Jezo said:

Are all of the taxis at the port regulated or should I find a car service for the day?

How does getting a taxi here work, especially with hiring one for the day?  Do they provide up front prices or will I need to negotiate? 

Taxis are regulated. Set price. Agree on it in advance. For 6 hours or so, you're looking at around $200usd, give or take..

If you're at Pointe Seraphine, they're in the Taxi stand outside the port area 

There will also be tour providers with offerings at the port. Like every other port... 

Okay thanks, one more question, I don't mean this as a dumb question because I have been to so many places where everything is handled differently.  I'd rather ask a dozen repetitive questions now then show up clueless in a month and havd no idea what I am doing. At the taxi stand is it a line like some ports or is it more of a free for all where there are people everywhere flagging you down?  I have seen both so it's fine either way, just want to know what I am getting into so I can be prepared.  

Are there any scams I need to be aware of or unauthorized taxis?  Some places you know its a "real" taxi by the color of the license plate or if they are in certain sections, or medallions.  When we leave the port area here how do we know which ones we should be dealing with?

When negotiating, do we do that based on time or destinations?  We have our list of places and order we want to go to them on, or do we just say we want someone to drive us for 5 to 6 hours and lets have a price and shake on it?

No worries. I can appreciate research, although this may be the most detailed anyone's asked before. It's all very easy and straightforward on arrival... 

You'll first encounter the tour vendors with their big boards showing options, prices, etc. You can go with one of them if they're offering a tour you're interested in - it essentially is a private driver taking you around on a set tour, although you can modify them somewhat. They may have a can where you're within a few others, that's the "joy" of a tour, more people, lower prices... 

The taxi stand is outside the port area, uniformed drivers, taxis have TX license plates (supposed to have) or H license plate.. it's a hut to the right of the black gates after you exit Pointe Seraphine. They'll be by the entrance to La Place Caranage.. 

You can negotiate a price, but expect around $150-200 for 6 hours or so.