Booking Tours in Advance or On Arrival?

rnr4thatsme

Contemplating a cruise to Alaska in 2024 but was wondering if it's like the Carribean where you can get off at the port and there will be tours to buy from vendors?  Or does one need to pre-book?  I would definitely pre-book the few that are important to me, but other ports, I'm open to see whatever...

If tours such as flight seeing are a high priority then they need to be booked prior to arrival.  More unusual tours can possibly be booked on the pier, but don't count on it.  

For example, at the booths in Juneau vendors will be offering shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier, some whale watching and so forth.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:39 AM, rnr4thatsme said:

Is the pricing better if bought locally on site?  Or is it the same as if you pre-book.

It is the same price. Plus - things maybe booked. Better to pre-book to get the time slot and company you want. Not all tours are the same - for example, some whale watching tours spend more time at sea (better chance of seeing more whales if you are at sea longer).

• Like 1

My advice:  Book ahead if at all possible and use local vendors.  Prices are about the same but on some tours, huge differences in the quality and #of people on tour.  Coral mentioned the whale watching tours—in addition to more time on the water, there’s sometimes fewer people on the boat!  For example, I just booked a marine wildlife tour in Sitka. Price through HAL was $160 pp, I’m paying $175 pp for a tour that has only 6 people on the boat and a hour longer on the water.

The only tour I would hold off on is any that include the Goldbelt Tram in Juneau.  It’s best to wait and buy tickets the day of depending on weather conditions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

My advice:  Book ahead if at all possible and use local vendors.  Prices are about the same but on some tours, huge differences in the quality and #of people on tour.  Coral mentioned the whale watching tours—in addition to more time on the water, there’s sometimes fewer people on the boat!  For example, I just booked a marine wildlife tour in Sitka. Price through HAL was $160 pp, I’m paying $175 pp for a tour that has only 6 people on the boat and a hour longer on the water.

The only tour I would hold off on is any that include the Goldbelt Tram in Juneau.  It’s best to wait and buy tickets the day of depending on weather conditions.

I completely agree about less people on the boat and having variety of options when booking now!

• Like 1