Pet sitting services

klfrodo

As I was documenting my trip costs in an excel spreadsheet, I realized that I missed the expected expense of per sitting services that we get thru Rover.com. Since it's a 23-day trip, the cost is getting up there.

I'm wondering if this expense is a covered cost if it turns out to be nonrefundable? OR if due to an unforeseen medical issue, we can't return when expected.

Then again, maybe it's policy dependent. 

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

As I was documenting my trip costs in an excel spreadsheet, I realized that I missed the expected expense of per sitting services that we get thru Rover.com. Since it's a 23-day trip, the cost is getting up there.

I'm wondering if this expense is a covered cost if it turns out to be nonrefundable? OR if due to an unforeseen medical issue, we can't return when expected.

Then again, maybe it's policy dependent. 

It's probably policy dependent.

One problem we ran into with something like this was that we didn't pay in advance.  After that, we paid in advance, by check so there would be proof of the "paid non-refundable cost".

Previously, we had paid her when we returned.

GC

30 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It's probably policy dependent.

One problem we ran into with something like this was that we didn't pay in advance.  After that, we paid in advance, by check so there would be proof of the "paid non-refundable cost".

Previously, we had paid her when we returned.

GC

As we get closer to finalizing everything, maybe I'll send my spreadsheet to Steve and ask him what I should and should not cover to ensure policy compliance. when it comes to refundable vs, non-refundable line items. 

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

As we get closer to finalizing everything, maybe I'll send my spreadsheet to Steve and ask him what I should and should not cover to ensure policy compliance. when it comes to refundable vs, non-refundable line items. 

Good idea.

In our case, above, IF we had paid her in advance, we would have been reimbursed, as I understood it, assuming she'd give us a letter stating that her services are not refundable once she schedules the dates (which is true, for obvious reasons).  In our case, we'd known her for about 20 years, so she trusted that we'd leave the check in a certain spot, plus cash for any expenses, etc.  She sometimes arrived after we had left, if there was an early morning flight.

That was one of the very few "what we didn't think of" things.

The other "non-payment" was when a flight home was delayed by a day, and we took a taxi back and forth to the same resort we had just left (thank goodness they had room for us; it was just before Christmas).  I got a receipt for the taxi, but not for the tip.  It was a small amount, but I learned...!

GC

• 3 months later...

We had to use our travel insurance for the first time ever in January 2023.  Our trip was delayed due to weather and our travel insurance covered our extra day we had to pay the dog sitter.  However, I never looked to see what the limit was on that.  It was only $100 per day.  We had three dogs (2 are mine and one is my daughter's).  The extra day of dog sitting was $150.  They only covered $100.  In hindsight, we should have bought a separate travel insurance policy for my daughter since she lives separate from us.  So, when purchasing, make sure you look at the limits.

From now on when I purchase travel insurance, I will purchase one for my husband and I and then separate policies for each of my daughters as they live separate from us.  I just thought it was easier to buy a policy that included all of us.  Big mistake.  It would have been a costlier mistake if we had other things that we needed reimbursed as there is a limit for each item on the one policy versus limits on each policy for each daughter.  Lesson learned.

• Like 1