Yokohama hotel questions

irvington

I've been to Japan for 6 weeks, but it was in the mid 80s so I'm pretty rusty! I'm taking a transpacific cruise this fall on Silversea and it ends in Yokohama. Although I'd love to travel around Japan, I will really need to get back to home and work. But I'm thinking it may be stressful to try to fly out the day we dock, plus I'd like to have dinner with a friend who lives in Yokohama. I will ask him for a recommendation for a hotel, but I'm thinking this may be a better place to get a recommendation for a hotel that is convenient as a stopover between the cruise port and the airport. One of the things I know has changed about Japan is the prevalence of English, so I shouldn't be concerned, but the last time I was there I was glad I was traveling with a native speaker. So although I think of myself as a fairly confident solo traveler, I'd love to stay somewhere that gets at least a bit of foreign travelers.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:42 PM, irvington said:

I've been to Japan for 6 weeks, but it was in the mid 80s so I'm pretty rusty! I'm taking a transpacific cruise this fall on Silversea and it ends in Yokohama. Although I'd love to travel around Japan, I will really need to get back to home and work. But I'm thinking it may be stressful to try to fly out the day we dock, plus I'd like to have dinner with a friend who lives in Yokohama. I will ask him for a recommendation for a hotel, but I'm thinking this may be a better place to get a recommendation for a hotel that is convenient as a stopover between the cruise port and the airport. One of the things I know has changed about Japan is the prevalence of English, so I shouldn't be concerned, but the last time I was there I was glad I was traveling with a native speaker. So although I think of myself as a fairly confident solo traveler, I'd love to stay somewhere that gets at least a bit of foreign travelers.

Any ideas?

====

if you are flying out from Narita Airport the JR Narita Express is right across the street from the Yokohama Sheraton.  It is at Yokohama Station not the Yokohama Shinkansen Station.

Peter

• Like 2

I am torn between the Yokohama Sheraton and the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand.  Both are rated about the same.  Cost are similar.  Really would like some help in deciding which one I should keep/cancel.  Any input would be appreciated.  

Arigato gozaimasu

I have used booking.com for my travels, in US, Australia and Japan. Also check on agoda.com for comparable prices.

For Yokohama, my travel buddies recommended Sotetsu Fresa Yokohama Sakuragi-cho, It's 10-15 minute walk from Yokohama Port, or take a taxi. You can book a room that includes breakfast (Japanese style), rooms are small but you can book larger if you want.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

It depends if the ship berths at Daikoku pier or Osanbashi piers.  Right now we we are booked at the new Westin Hotel near Osanbashi.  I used points. We arrive by Celebrity Flight the night before embarkation.  If the berth changes we may adjust.

Back in 2018, we did a Transpacific cruise on Golden Princess, and we embarked at the Osanbashi pier.  I just assumed that is the pier for all Princess ships.  I booked a Sept. cruise on the Diamond Princess, and just noticed my Travel Summary indicates Daikoku Pier.  Are the 2 piers very close to each other?  Last time we stayed at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel Yokohama-Koen.  From the Haneda airport, we took the airport bus.  From the bus drop off point, it took only 15 minutes to walk to the hotel; also walked to the Osanbashi pier in less than 15 minutes.  We plan to stay at that hotel again; but now knowing we will board at Daikoku pier, we might need to find another hotel if it is not within walking distance to the Daikoku pier.

Any suggestions for hotel within 15 minutes walking distance to the Daikoku pier?  We need to stay for 6 nights. 

Daikoku Cruise Terminal is relatively new. Built on a small artificial island off Yokohama. This island is primarily a cargo terminal for ships that are too large to pass under the Yokohama Bay Bridge. There are no hotels on the island. Other than private cars, the only transportation is a shuttle bus to Yokohama, or a taxi.

The nearest hotels are in Yokohama City, near the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal or in China Town.

Distance from Daikoku Pier to Osanbashi Terminal area is about 3.5 Kilometers.

2 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Daikoku Cruise Terminal is relatively new. Built on a small artificial island off Yokohama. This island is primarily a cargo terminal for ships that are too large to pass under the Yokohama Bay Bridge. There are no hotels on the island. Other than private cars, the only transportation is a shuttle bus to Yokohama, or a taxi.

The nearest hotels are in Yokohama City, near the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal or in China Town.

Distance from Daikoku Pier to Osanbashi Terminal area is about 3.5 Kilometers.

Thank you for the information.  

Last time we stayed at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel Yokohama-Koen, very close to Chinatown.  From that hotel, we walked to the Osanbashi pier in less than 15 minutes.  So it is probably okay to stay in the same hotel or nearby hotel and just take the taxi to the Daikoku pier.