Caye Caulker

MrsHudson921

I'm trying to figure out if taking the water taxi to Caye Caulker is worth it or not. I'm worried that with a 45 min travel time AFTER getting to the port will leave us with little time to enjoy it and we will be rushed. The last thing I want to do is miss boarding time. We arrive at 8am and ship leaves at 5pm. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated! 

Edited by MrsHudson921

• 4 weeks later...

We did an excursion to Caye Caulker through Carnival, just to be sure on things, and loved it!! It's a bit of a ride out there. We were off the ship pretty early in the morning and we were still some of the last tenders to get back on board. But it was an excursion, so no worries for us.

Your ship is in Belize City for 9 hours.  Last tender probably leaves around 4-4:30 ship time.  We've found that 2-3 hours in CC is about all you need. So just check the water taxi times (which are Belize time and may be different from ship time) and plan accordingly.

Based on our experience, the ferry does not always stay on time. We were left on the pier in Caye Caulker waiting for a never to arrive ferry service. We did return with our pre planned service mentioned many times on these boards. Our ride to Caulker was so bad we tried another method to return to the pier.

Ask others if they have had timely service using the ferry service. It is quite a distance from the pier. I have to say we did have a nice time in Caye Caulker. Had lunch at the nice restaurant; rented a  golf cart and explored the small island. Very nice day except for the transport issues we experienced. 

Hope you have a wonderful day there!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 10:25 PM, kctwinmommy said:

We did an excursion to Caye Caulker through Carnival, just to be sure on things, and loved it!! It's a bit of a ride out there. We were off the ship pretty early in the morning and we were still some of the last tenders to get back on board. But it was an excursion, so no worries for us.

Did the excursion include a city tour?  I cannot find an excursion that just has the beach.  We have small kids and I don't think they would appreciate the city tour!  

5 minutes ago, nh22 said:

Did the excursion include a city tour?  I cannot find an excursion that just has the beach.  We have small kids and I don't think they would appreciate the city tour!  

Ours was a snorkeling excursion. So we got of the ship and tendered over to the city docks. Then the excursion company had 2 boats we took out to Caye Caulker. On the way out there, they gave us a menu, each family/group wrote down their order. Then we stopped at the Lazy Lizard, they dropped off our orders, then we went to our 2 snorkeling spots. The first one was the more intense snorkeling. The second one was feeding the sharks. After we were done, we went back to the Lazy Lizard, people changed, and then our lunch was ready. We had about 30 minutes to wander around before heading back. So it had no beach time at all. The picture is what it looks like where we stopped at the Lazy Lizard.

20220414_133806.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could live at CC.  It is gorgeous and has some fantastic snorkeling, but I would recommend taking a ship tour.

It has been many years since we went to CC.  I had booked a snorkel trip with Star Tours.  I don't know if they are still in business.  They took us out to the reef in a boat with outboard motor trouble.  We snorkeled the reef and then went to a sandbar, swam and fed some stingrays.  It was a nice tour except for the motor trouble.  Then we nearly missed the last water taxi back before last tender to the ship.

• Like 1