PAYING THE AIRLINES

jjs217

Typically, when does Regent pay the airlines for a booked flight (booked through Regent)?  I have a flight in less than 90 days, and would like to change my seat.  American won't let me do that until the flight is paid for and ticketed.  Any clues?

Having been able to look at some normally hidden PNR data for a United flight booked through Regent, I could see that their payment date was 30 days out.

Obviously, a different situation on American because we always change our pre-assigned seats (to get E+ on United which we have through status) as soon as they were booked ~270 days out (and per recent emails, now 210 days out).

You can try having your TA call Regent for you. I was able to change my seats on BA and my cruise is in September by asking my TA to do so. On the return trip with Virgin airlines I am able to change my seats directly on the VA website.

I don’t know all the rules for every airline but I got my seats changed on BA through my TA and I don’t cruise until September. I couldn’t do it online on my own but my TA got it changed and without any cost for seat assignment. BA usually charges to select seats even in business class. And I don’t have any status’s on any airline except Southwest. My friends in Dallas also got their preferred seat assignments for their FinAir and AA flights. I’m just sayin’ what our experiences have been, but it did take going through our TA.

Anecdotal, again.  BUT--common thread was our TA dealt directly with Regent Air to obtain early access to change/upgrade seats.  I do remember initially trying to change/upgrade seats by contacting airlines directly; but was told no possible because same had not been issued. 

These were on several pre-COVID cruise segments concerning international flights on either United, British Air, or Delta.  Whatever Regent folks did--I do not know--other than our TA advised when I could either go online--or call the airline directly--to complete seat changes.  These were done months before initiating a specific itinerary.  

Another reason to use a competent TA as one's advocate.

GOARMY!

they paid AA 59 days out on my ticket, but with AA status you can do it anytime.  Our friends don't have gold status, but our TA was able to get them seats assigned.    You could always get AA gold fairly easily and quickly with a credit card and AAdvantage eshopping.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Typically, when does Regent pay the airlines for a booked flight (booked through Regent)?  I have a flight in less than 90 days, and would like to change my seat.  American won't let me do that until the flight is paid for and ticketed.  Any clues?

I live in Atlanta so we always fly Delta.  I always deviate 270 days out (now will be 210 days) and can select seats immediately.  We are Delta Frequent Flyers so have a Frequent Flyer account.  If you aren't signed up with American, then maybe that's one possibility to select seats early.  But likely it's all dependent on the airline rules.  

Edited by papaflamingo