Cunard QV-early dining register preference?

elaine5

This is our first time on Cunard this summer. Our TA requested early dining on our behalf. I see it is listed as "register preference--not confirmed until onboard." Both late and open are available. We definitely do not want late seating. Should we opt for Open now? If so, would we typically be waiting in line each night to eat? We'd be fine to be there right at 5:30 or as late as 7pm. Does Cunard do open seating table where couples show up each night and are group together to make up tables for 6, 8, 10, in addition to the option of waiting for a table for 2? If so, Open would be fine with us. We have an assigned cabin that we chose, so I do not think this is early saver rate--but it is a special rate from TA. Thanks, Elaine

Edited by elaine5

If you chose to change from fixed to open dining to guarantee you early sitting I don't think there would be any problem eating early especially at 5-30pm. But I think the MDR would not have many diners in and would have very little atmosphere. I do not what system is used as never cruised with open dining on Cunard, but on other cruise lines they generally ask if you want a table for 2 or would you be happy to share. It is then up to you and if you want to share usually you tell the size of table required.

If you booked the full “Cunard fare”, I would be very surprised if you did not get your dining time request. with early saver and late saver fare,  preference is given to those passengers in that order. You will know if you have the full fare as you will have been able to choose your cabin number at time of booking and not wait for room assignment.

open dining could have its advantages depending on times in port.

11 hours ago, elaine5 said:

thank you. Is one able to select pre-arranged dining times (before getting onboard) if Open is chosen?

No you cannot you choose whatever time you want on the day as long as it is between opening hours of restaurant you just turn up.

At Open, do they make up "group" tables or you are seated only for the number in party (such as 2 can join a table with other Open diners that holds 8 vs. only getting a table for 2)? That worked well for us on Princess--we met lots of nice people and there was little to no wait vs. longer waiting  for table for 2. 

• 2 weeks later...