Alaska Cruise Planning Help!

ashish6499

Hi!

We are a mid-30s couple looking to book our first cruise to Alaska. We are first-time cruisers and it’s our first time to Alaska!

We have narrowed it down to the below cruises and would like some help picking one. We are quite adventurous and will take part in a bunch of shore activities.

The cruises are not exactly comparable (Seabourn vs Princess e.g.) but we are planning to get the basic (Ocean View Suite) on Seabourn and the 2nd to highest cabin on others (e.g., Mini Suite on Princess or Signature Suite on Holland America)

We would spend a few days in Anchorage visiting Denali and Katmai (either before or after the cruise) and a do a daytrip to Glacier Bay NP as well. So, we don’t mind missing out on Glacier Bay on the itinerary.

Some concerns we have:

1.       Would be significantly younger than the clientele of these cruises? Is so, which would be the closest to our age group?

2.       How formal is Seabourn? Do we need suits/tuxes and evening gowns?

3.       We are not big drinkers, so we don’t particularly care for the drinks’ packages. We do like to enjoy good food.

4.       On-board entertainment is welcome but not a deal breaker. We are happy reading a book.

5.       Is one of these itineraries significantly better than the others? E.g., Seabourn has kayaking and zodiac options with the chance to visit the Inian Islands. That sounds like something we would like.

6.       We want to prioritize wildlife viewing.

7.       Our budget does not stretch to Uncruise / Lindblad.

Cruise Options:

1.       4338 7-DAY ALASKA FJORDS & CANADIAN INSIDE PASSAGE (seabourn.com)

2.       4341 7-DAY GLACIERS & ALASKA INSIDE PASSAGE (seabourn.com)

3.       7-day Cruise to Alaska: Hubbard Glacier & Skagway from Seward, Alaska on Norwegian Jewel (ncl.com)

4.       7-day Cruise to Alaska: Hubbard Glacier & Skagway to Vancouver from Seward, Alaska on Norwegian Spirit (ncl.com)

5.       7 Nights Southbound Glacier from Seward, Alaska | Celebrity Cruises

6.       I352 7-DAY GLACIER DISCOVERY SOUTHBOUND (hollandamerica.com)

7.       Cruise Details - 7-Day Voyage of the Glaciers with Glacier Bay (Southbound) - Princess Cruises

8.       Cruise Details - 7-Day Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound) - Princess Cruises

Thanks for reading!

Ashish

Edited by ashish6499

1. For all of the cruise options you have enumerated, you will be on the young side. But you won't be alone in your age group.

2. Seabourn is the most pretentious. That said, the line does offer interesting itineraries, but it is clearly aiming for the affluent and is the opposite of Norwegian Cruise Line.

3. Don't order a drink package. I don't drink either. Even the soda-only packages are awfully expensive and effectively require one to guzzle all day to break even on the prices. The lemonade is a fine accompaniment at the buffet, and plain water goes with any meal in the main dining room.

4. Entertainment can provide activity in the evening when there would generally be little else to do beyond engaging others in conversation or oneself with spouse or partner.

7. The mass market lines that you have identified do generally offer the greatest value, as they concentrate on the lowest common denominator and can do business in volume. But Seabourn is an outlier in your list because it is premium line. All that said, however, your interests coincide more with what is offered by cruises categorized as "expeditions" rather than mass market. These are, however, more expensive, including Uncruise and Lindblad which you have already ruled out. Other lines offer similar types of experiences, notably Hurtigruten and American Queen Voyages, and you may want to review their offerings and whether they might be affordable. My suspicion, however, is that they, too, will be of similar cost. Another option that might be suitable would be to travel via the Alaska Marine Highway. It allows you to plan your own cruise on a port-to-port basis, including some ports that are infrequently, if ever, visited by the other lines. You would have to plan all your activities independently at the ports at which you would stay. It operates from Bellingham, Washington, up to Skagway, and across to Whittier, from which port you can reach Anchorage. Staterooms are simple, though if you're the camping type of person, you can forgo a stateroom and pitch a tent on the deck of the vessel.

I would not recommend the Majestic Princess. It can not sail "inside passage" from Vancouver because of the size and it doesn't have great outside viewing areas on the ship (not a good promenade deck). It has to go outside Vancouver island which makes it similar to sailing from Seattle and will have more motion on that route.

A friend is going on NCL Spirit and her ship is not sailing inside passage from Vancouver either - I believe this is due to emissions but am not fully sure. They got a notice about this.

IMO - smaller is better in Alaska. A lot of the newer ships don't have a promenade deck and are just massive in size.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I would not recommend the Majestic Princess. It can not sail "inside passage" from Vancouver because of the size and it doesn't have great outside viewing areas on the ship (not a good promenade deck). It has to go outside Vancouver island which makes it similar to sailing from Seattle and will have more motion on that route.

A friend is going on NCL Spirit and her ship is not sailing inside passage from Vancouver either - I believe this is due to emissions but am not fully sure. They got a notice about this.

IMO - smaller is better in Alaska. A lot of the newer ships don't have a promenade deck and are just massive in size.

All NCL Breakaway and Breakaway plus (their largest) have promenade decks, which also serve as an ocean front views for bars and restaurants.  The Jewel is smaller than that class,  and still has the promenade, w/o the extra bars and restaurants.  The Spirit is an older and smaller ship, not certain what it has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

All NCL Breakaway and Breakaway plus (their largest) have promenade decks, which also serve as an ocean front views for bars and restaurants.  The Jewel is smaller than that class,  and still has the promenade, w/o the extra bars and restaurants.  The Spirit is an older and smaller ship, not certain what it has.

I would recommend the Jewel.  Yes, I am a big NCL fan.

But looking at the itineraries, Jewel has Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, Princess does not.  Yes, it is impressive enough to be able to make that choice.  I have done 3 Alaska cruises, and my first was on the Jewel.  Last Aug I was on Discovery Princess.  A larger ship than Jewel, but still w/o a promenade deck.  The available outdoor areas for watching (upper decks) seemed less than on the Jewel.

Discovery Princess is similar in size to the Bliss, which we used in 2019 Alaska cruise.  No comparison there, Bliss has far more outdoor areas to watch the scenery, and the observation lounge inside as well.

I haven't used Seaborn or Celebrity, so can't compare.

I would get the drink package.  You tend to drink more than usual on a cruise (especially at sea days), and the pay as you go prices are similar to airport bar prices, plus 20% gratuity.  Drinks will be $10-$15.  So 2 drinks a day (or that extra glass of wine) is the break even point, if you get the NCL free at sea (where you still have to pay a set amount for gratuities) .  It also includes sodas as well, but not Starbucks.  Princess drink package is similar.

I have 20 Alaska cruises on Disney, NCL, Princess and HAL as well as numerous land vacations in Alaska.  Haven’t been on Seabourne or Celebrity so my comments are based on the lines I’m familiar with.  Just a couple of comments.

Activities/enrichment programs are pretty good on Princess.  There will be special food, drinks, music, lectures, etc focused on Alaska.  NCL does not—we could have been in the Caribbean on our cruise on the Jewel last year.  HAL also does a nice job with Alaska enrichment.

It sounds like you would enjoy cruising in the Haven on NCL.  Just a nice, elevated cruising experience on NCL.  Otherwise, NCL would be my last choice.  If you do pick NCL, then be sure to eat at the specialty restaurants—the MDR has terrible food!  Sailing in the suites on the other lines will give you access to some finer dining options and priority seating.  We like to add Club Orange to our cruises on HAL.

The voyage is more scenic and calmer through the Inside Passage.  Larger cruise ships have to go west of Vancouver Island which is less scenic and rougher.  

You say that you’re doing a day trip to Glacier Bay from Anchorage??  That’s a long trek!  I’d suggest you still go to GB on the cruise.  It’s an amazing visit that would compliment your later visit.  I would recommend that you look into a Matanuska glacier trek while in Anchorage.  Or spend some time in Seward.  The nine hour Kenai Fjord cruise is fantastic for wildlife viewing.  Last summer we saw three different whale species, Orcas, Seals, otters, sea lions, puffins and lots of birds!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks Coral. Is there a Princess ship that you would recommend? 

43 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

I would recommend the Jewel.  Yes, I am a big NCL fan.

But looking at the itineraries, Jewel has Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, Princess does not.  Yes, it is impressive enough to be able to make that choice.  I have done 3 Alaska cruises, and my first was on the Jewel.  Last Aug I was on Discovery Princess.  A larger ship than Jewel, but still w/o a promenade deck.  The available outdoor areas for watching (upper decks) seemed less than on the Jewel.

Discovery Princess is similar in size to the Bliss, which we used in 2019 Alaska cruise.  No comparison there, Bliss has far more outdoor areas to watch the scenery, and the observation lounge inside as well.

I haven't used Seaborn or Celebrity, so can't compare.

I would get the drink package.  You tend to drink more than usual on a cruise (especially at sea days), and the pay as you go prices are similar to airport bar prices, plus 20% gratuity.  Drinks will be $10-$15.  So 2 drinks a day (or that extra glass of wine) is the break even point, if you get the NCL free at sea (where you still have to pay a set amount for gratuities) .  It also includes sodas as well, but not Starbucks.  Princess drink package is similar.

Thanks, I do like the ncl itinerary. Did you get the haven package? Did you like the jewel? 

Forgot to mention another reason we won’t be cruising NCL in Alaska again.  Their ships dock at their facility in Ward Cove in Ketchikan.  It’s about 7 miles north of town.  NCL provides a shuttle but it’s such a pain!  One can’t walk to town nor is there a good pedestrian-friendly bus stop close by.  Some private tour vendors will pick up there but not always.

By comparison, other lines dock right in town.  Easy to get on and off and you’re not wasting time taking a shuttle into/from town.

33 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I have 20 Alaska cruises on Disney, NCL, Princess and HAL as well as numerous land vacations in Alaska.  Haven’t been on Seabourne or Celebrity so my comments are based on the lines I’m familiar with.  Just a couple of comments.

Activities/enrichment programs are pretty good on Princess.  There will be special food, drinks, music, lectures, etc focused on Alaska.  NCL does not—we could have been in the Caribbean on our cruise on the Jewel last year.  HAL also does a nice job with Alaska enrichment.

It sounds like you would enjoy cruising in the Haven on NCL.  Just a nice, elevated cruising experience on NCL.  Otherwise, NCL would be my last choice.  If you do pick NCL, then be sure to eat at the specialty restaurants—the MDR has terrible food!  Sailing in the suites on the other lines will give you access to some finer dining options and priority seating.  We like to add Club Orange to our cruises on HAL.

The voyage is more scenic and calmer through the Inside Passage.  Larger cruise ships have to go west of Vancouver Island which is less scenic and rougher.  

You say that you’re doing a day trip to Glacier Bay from Anchorage??  That’s a long trek!  I’d suggest you still go to GB on the cruise.  It’s an amazing visit that would compliment your later visit.  I would recommend that you look into a Matanuska glacier trek while in Anchorage.  Or spend some time in Seward.  The nine hour Kenai Fjord cruise is fantastic for wildlife viewing.  Last summer we saw three different whale species, Orcas, Seals, otters, sea lions, puffins and lots of birds!

Thank you for you reply. Why would you rank ncl last? We do plan to get the haven package. 

the plan is to go to glacier bay from Juneau and not anchorage! Will check out the anchorage options you suggested as well 

10 minutes ago, ashish6499 said:

Thank you for you reply. Why would you rank ncl last? We do plan to get the haven package. 

the plan is to go to glacier bay from Juneau and not anchorage! Will check out the anchorage options you suggested as well 

If you’re in the Haven than that addresses a number of things we don’t like about NCL—poor MDR food, crowded pools/hot tubs, unruly/drunk guests.  Of course, on an Alaska cruise, there will be a lot more kids in the Haven which may or may not be a problem.  After our last two non-Haven cruises on NCL, we swore we would only cruise in the Haven!

We also didn’t like the lack of Alaskan programming on board.  No enrichment lectures on wildlife and indigenous people.  No Alaskan specialty food or drink—salmon, crab, craft beers, spirits.  No Libby Riddles, no sled dog puppies brought on board, etc.

We love to cruise in Alaska (5 cruises booked this summer).  In addition to visiting the ports and doing land tours, we enjoy the onboard experience that tells us we’re in Alaska.

9 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Forgot to mention another reason we won’t be cruising NCL in Alaska again.  Their ships dock at their facility in Ward Cove in Ketchikan.  It’s about 7 miles north of town.  NCL provides a shuttle but it’s such a pain!  One can’t walk to town nor is there a good pedestrian-friendly bus stop close by.  Some private tour vendors will pick up there but not always.

By comparison, other lines dock right in town.  Easy to get on and off and you’re not wasting time taking a shuttle into/from town.

I would agree on this.

9 hours ago, ashish6499 said:

How are you doing Glacier Bay from Juneau?

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, disneyochem said:

If you’re in the Haven than that addresses a number of things we don’t like about NCL—poor MDR food, crowded pools/hot tubs, unruly/drunk guests.  Of course, on an Alaska cruise, there will be a lot more kids in the Haven which may or may not be a problem.  After our last two non-Haven cruises on NCL, we swore we would only cruise in the Haven!

We also didn’t like the lack of Alaskan programming on board.  No enrichment lectures on wildlife and indigenous people.  No Alaskan specialty food or drink—salmon, crab, craft beers, spirits.  No Libby Riddles, no sled dog puppies brought on board, etc.

We love to cruise in Alaska (5 cruises booked this summer).  In addition to visiting the ports and doing land tours, we enjoy the onboard experience that tells us we’re in Alaska.

thank you. I am leaning towards celebrity over ncl haven

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ashish6499 said:

Ok - how are you going to get to Juneau the night before? You will then need to fly to Gustavus or take a very long ferry. Unless I am missing something - this is not ideal or probable. It is not easy to get to Gustavus from Juneau.

You would be best to visit Glacier Bay via cruise ship and then find a long day in Juneau and do AdventureBound Alaska to Tracy Arm: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com 

Edited by Coral

12 minutes ago, ashish6499 said:

So this only works if you sail Seabourne?  It leaves out of Juneau.  The Celebrity cruise leaves out of Seward and is only docked in Juneau from 9 to 9.

(And maybe I'm missing something, but the tour you linked shows a day tour leaving from Bartlett's Cove.  How are you getting there?  Or is it a private tour?)