Grand Canal vs Lagoon View in Venice

Vineyard View

We have narrowed down our hotels, at least for now, in Venice. Both have good reviews. Both cost more than we had planned. So be it. 
One hotel has a private terrace overlooking the lagoon. We love being outdoors when we travel and relax with a glass

The other hotel has a Grand Canal view with windows that open, but does not have a space to sit outside from the room

Both have easy water access with luggage.  Both have reviews that report quiet with doors/windows closed. 

We have been to Venice previously, but only for one night. This time we are spending four nights. 

Any thoughts about these options. I realize that we are extremely fortunate to have the choice. 

I'd go for the lagoon balcony.  The Grand Canal is a major thoroughfare with a constant (and surprisingly loud) parade of water taxis, vaporetti, police boats, and the boat equivalent of delivery trucks.  We once ate at an outdoor restaurant on the Grand Canal and I wouldn't do it again.  A small lagoon, on the other hand, can be quite peaceful as well as scenic.

• Like 1

Thank you for this feedback. I was wondering about that. 
I did see a couple small lagoon options, but availability is limited and it seemed that those still open were very small canals with buildings pretty close looking right back at you. I may explore this a bit further but water taxi ease is important. 

I once had a hotel with a lagoon view. (And lagoon view generally means the lagoon, there is only one.) It was lovely, BUT it somehow felt like having a sea view in any other city or village.

Now I always prefer a room with a view on the Canal Grande or one of the smaller rii. Just feels so much more like Venice.

We stayed at a small hotel right on the Grand Canal.  Definitely the most expensive hotel ever for us but we felt it was worth every euro.  They had a terrace where a sumptuous breakfast was served but you could use the terrace all day long and it was beautiful.  Our room was right on the canal and we didn't have any issues with noise.  We call these types of trips SKI trips; spending the kids inheritance.  Splurge, you won't regret it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I'd go for the lagoon balcony.  The Grand Canal is a major thoroughfare with a constant (and surprisingly loud) parade of water taxis, vaporetti, police boats, and the boat equivalent of delivery trucks.  We once ate at an outdoor restaurant on the Grand Canal and I wouldn't do it again.  A small lagoon, on the other hand, can be quite peaceful as well as scenic.

That's exactly why I'd go for a Grand Canal view - busy, busy, busy. lots to see.

Each to their own.🤨

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Well it’s a toss up apparently!  We have a Jr Suite reserved with a full terrace overlooking the lagoon 200m from St Marks. I know it looks busy. I thought about the view and thoughts about it being any other sea view, and the lagoon in Venice isn’t quite that to me, now that the big ships cannot block all the majesty. 
I have also looked at various Grand canal views and smaller canal views and their charm is pulling as well. 
We are traveling later than normal, (3rd week of May), so hotels are booked and prices through the roof. Next year we will go back to April/ early May which we love. For now, we are keeping with exploring options and possible cancellations. If anyone has a good recommendation 4* hotel please lmk. On another thread Sina Pallazo San Angelico was recommended. Lovely property and highly respected cc member suggested. But no view rooms were left,  and we decided we really wanted to have that. 
I appreciate all the feedback 

Hello Hank - fair question!

Palazzetto Pisani - suite Grand canal view - one of them looks way nicer than the other. No independent outside space, just windows that open

Locanda Vivaldi - Junior Suite Lagoon view - nice private terrace 

I am open to suggestions. Third week of May travel four nights. 

I originally booked Sina Palazzo Sant Angelo - lovely but no view rooms available and we decided that was important to us. 

Thank you