Alaska - Sights from the Boat vs Excursions

Debate

I’m more interested in seeing the place than the boat …. Can you  “see” Alaska - glaciers, wildlife, etc. from the boat or are you dependent on excursions ?   I have some mobility limitations and am afraid excursions could be difficult.  Weighing the cost of the small boats over the larger and what I could see from the ship.   Also, how is Celebrity for teens in the Summer months? 

Depending on your route you can see quite a bit from the SHIP.   The Inland Passage Way is a very narrow passageway and I've seen Bear's, Fox and beautiful scenery.   Also The Glaciers are only visible from the ship as it doesn't dock or tender at the Glaciers. 

At the Glaciers the Captain Turns the Ship 180 degrees Port and then 180 degrees Starboard so easily visible from all staterooms.

In the ports you would want to go ashore either on your own or an excursion as not much visible from the ship.  

We have seen Whales while at some of the ports like Prince Rupert Islands and they were breaching alongside the Tenders.   Not uncommon but also may be dependent on time of year

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

......  Also The Glaciers are only visible from the ship as it doesn't dock or tender at the Glaciers. 

At the Glaciers the Captain Turns the Ship 180 degrees Port and then 180 degrees Starboard so easily visible from all staterooms.

Actually, Celebrity does offer small boat excursions close to glacier faces.  We did one on the Solstice last June in which we left the ship at sea, boarded a two level Allen Marine vessel (not a ship tender) and were able to get very close to the face of Dawes Glacier.  The Solstice was stopped much farther out.  The Allen Marine vessel then diverted into Fords Terror.  We returned to Juneau shortly after the Solstice docked in Juneau.  These excursions often sell out very quickly so folks have to book immediately.

Celebrity will have a naturalist on board for their Alaska sailings.  They are very helpful in spotting wildlife and will also present lectures.

The Celebrity Alaska itineraries have a slightly different demographic than typical Celebrity itineraries.  Many more multi-generational families and a fair number of teens.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Actually, Celebrity does offer small boat excursions close to glacier faces.  We did one on the Solstice last June in which we left the ship at sea, boarded a two level Allen Marine vessel (not a ship tender) and were able to get very close to the face of Dawes Glacier.  The Solstice was stopped much farther out.  The Allen Marine vessel then diverted into Fords Terror.  We returned to Juneau shortly after the Solstice docked in Juneau.  These excursions often sell out very quickly so folks have to book immediately.

Celebrity will have a naturalist on board for their Alaska sailings.  They are very helpful in spotting wildlife and will also present lectures.

The Celebrity Alaska itineraries have a slightly different demographic than typical Celebrity itineraries.  Many more multi-generational families and a fair number of teens.

Cool to hear.    I've of course not been on as many Alaska cruises as you and was not offered on the M-Class ships we have always been on.   Also only been to   Hubbard.   I would definitely sign up for that.    Was it expensive?

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Cool to hear.    I've of course not been on as many Alaska cruises as you and was not offered on the M-Class ships we have always been on.   Also only been to   Hubbard.   I would definitely sign up for that.    Was it expensive?

It depends on the definition of "expensive."  But it was on the higher price range of excursions.  And it had to be booked immediately -- no waiting or all slots were gone.  

We were close enough to Dawes that when large ice chunks calved and created a wake the Allen Marine vessel was impacted as we had a roll.  There was a good naturalist on the Allen Marine vessel, and food options (which was important as we left the Solstice to board the vessel about 7 AM).  And the divergence in Fords Terror was spectacular with the vessel approaching waterfalls and so forth.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will have to do another Alaska for sure.   There is so much of Alaska that I want to see.

And if you folks are in Fairbanks we will have you over for dinner.

But just another comment -- cruise lines are also starting to do the "up close and personal" excursions to Hubbard as well.  While I post frequently on the Alaska CC board I have not followed the Celebrity situation regarding small vessel excursions to the face of Hubbard.  

Hubbard is an interesting situation since it is a tidewater glacier which actively advances as opposed to the dramatic retreat of Glacier Bay glaciers.  The first time we visited Hubbard Charles was incredibly excited -- and that is from a geologist who has spent months on glaciers such as McCall in the Brooks Range.  And I suspect the small vessels used for those "up close and personal" visits, are ported in  Yakutat, which folks can see in the distance prior to the entrance to Disenchantment Bay.  I've flown into Yakutat, and, along with the Alaska community of Nome, I don't think I could live there.  Give me -40F in the depths of a Fairbanks winter anytime over that climate.

Gerry

They do offer small boat excursions to Hubbard's Glacier. We had booked it for our Aug cruise but unfortunately we were on the Eclipse that got held up in Vancouver because of the tug operators strike it got cancelled because by the time we arrived the small boats were contracted with other ships. To kind of make up for it, they brought the boat in closer than normal. At first the sceptic in me wondered if they were being completely truthful about that, but as we were leaving I notice that a couple of other ships that had arrived were starting their rotation and I'd say they were at least 2-3 times further out than we were.

We did the 'small boat' Hubbard excursion from Millie last August (I use quotes because the boat had a capacity of a couple hundred, so not really 'small').  While Millie got pretty close (I've got some great shots of her rotating), we were easily 50-60% closer to the glacier--which is a phenomenal experience I'd recommend to everyone. As our Fairbanksan friend above said--it's massive and one of the few advancing glaciers in the world. And it's famous for its calving--which was an almost constant thundering noise.  Transfer to the boat was on a metal gangplank (the regular Celebrity one) that certainly looked stable enough for a wheelchair.  There was both inside and outside spaces.  While not cheap (I think we paid $250/pp) it was well worth it for us.

• Thanks 1