How does airport to ship transfer work (FLL)?

Nickelpenny

On 2/15/2023 at 7:09 PM, shipshapegirl said:

We have booked the Holland America transfer several times in Fort Lauderdale.  After the flight,  you go to baggage claim to get your luggage, there will be someone there from Holland America waiting on you.  As RuthC said, they will have a clipboard with your name on it.  They will instruct you to get your luggage and show you where to wait.  When the bus arrives, they will come get your group and lead you out.

Yes, there will be a person w/a clipboard at a clearly marked podium. Give them your name and they'll give you a card to get on the shuttle, then wait...

Wait time depends on how early your plane lands and how many people are expected on the shuttle. I almost always take the HAL shuttle, but Uber or taxi at FLL is easy and cheaper, I would still do the shuttle for Miami flights.

• Like 1

To the OP, and others...the OP clearly said that he already purchased the HAL transfer and wanted to know how that worked.  RuthC and others that commented on "how that works" and said to look for the HAL rep.  I've done the transfer a few times and the HAL rep will be there with a placard that says Holland America Line so there is nothing to worry about.  Hopefully, your timing will be good and you have only a brief wait.  Now you also know for the next time that at FLL the fastest and cheapest way to the port is a cab.  Have fun on your cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

To the OP, and others...the OP clearly said that he already purchased the HAL transfer and wanted to know how that worked.  RuthC and others that commented on "how that works" and said to look for the HAL rep.  I've done the transfer a few times and the HAL rep will be there with a placard that says Holland America Line so there is nothing to worry about.  Hopefully, your timing will be good and you have only a brief wait.  Now you also know for the next time that at FLL the fastest and cheapest way to the port is a cab.  Have fun on your cruise.  

Thank you very much!!  🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Can I assume your same advice for the reverse trip, PEV to FLL?

So let's talk about this issue, When we go from PEV to FLL we usually walk out of the terminal, head over to the taxi queue, and within a few minutes are in a taxi on our way to FLL.  The taxi takes us directly to our terminal (and proper door for our airline) and costs less than $25 (including tip).  Meanwhile, back at the port, those with HAL transfers are slowly boarding their buses and waiting until the bus is filled and the luggage loaded! (our taxi already has us at our terminal).  Once that HAL transfer bus finally leaves, it drops folks at a common drop-off at FLL, which can be a long distance from your own terminal/airline desk.  You have to stand around the bus while they off load all that luggage, and than drag your luggage to your terminal!

Meanwhile, those of us who grabbed a taxi (at lower cost per person than a HAL transfer) have been dropped at the right location, checked-in our luggage (with some airlines one can even do this at the curb), and are inside the terminal.

I would welcome fans of transfers to explain where I have this wrong!

Hank

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When we go from PEV to FLL we usually walk out of the terminal, head over to the taxi queue, and within a few minutes are in a taxi on our way to FLL. 

We do this but with Uber/Lyft lately...We do have to wait for the Uber/Lyft but it is never long.  

(we've had a couple of extended rides over the years with Fort Lauderdale taxis and we have learned to love Uber/Lyft)

Either way (taxi or uber/lyft) is a much better price and experience than the HAL bus to/from Port Everglades)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Webguy said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me how much a taxi costs for two  from Miami airport to Ft Lauderdale cruise terminal. Thanks

I can't remember where I read it, but I think the taxi fare and Uber/Lyft were fairly expensive.  But, I can't say for sure.  But, I do know that the Tri-Rail goes between MIA and FLL for pretty cheap and I know they had daily passes for $5 and senior rate less than that.  Here is the link for that.  https://www.tri-rail.com/pages/view/fare-information-calculating-your-fare

Taking a cab from FLL to Port Everglades is cheap.  It's just a quick hop skip.  I'm not sure if the old shuttle between MIA and Port Canaveral still runs.  Hope this helps a bit.

1 hour ago, Webguy said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me how much a taxi costs for two  from Miami airport to Ft Lauderdale cruise terminal. Thanks

Not sure of the current taxi price, but just checked Uber (at this time) and it is about $50.  Lyft currently shows about $90.  Keep in mind that both Uber and Lyft are constantly changing their prices based on supply/demand.

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So let's talk about this issue, When we go from PEV to FLL we usually walk out of the terminal, head over to the taxi queue, and within a few minutes are in a taxi on our way to FLL.  The taxi takes us directly to our terminal (and proper door for our airline) and costs less than $25 (including tip).  Meanwhile, back at the port, those with HAL transfers are slowly boarding their buses and waiting until the bus is filled and the luggage loaded! (our taxi already has us at our terminal).  Once that HAL transfer bus finally leaves, it drops folks at a common drop-off at FLL, which can be a long distance from your own terminal/airline desk.  You have to stand around the bus while they off load all that luggage, and than drag your luggage to your terminal!

Meanwhile, those of us who grabbed a taxi (at lower cost per person than a HAL transfer) have been dropped at the right location, checked-in our luggage (with some airlines one can even do this at the curb), and are inside the terminal.

I would welcome fans of transfers to explain where I have this wrong!

Hank

Not necessarily a fan of transfers, but have read on these boards that Uber/Lyft can be a better price than a taxi for PEV to FLL, offering similar or better service.

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Not necessarily a fan of transfers, but have read on these boards that Uber/Lyft can be a better price than a taxi for PEV to FLL, offering similar or better service.

We also use both Uber and Lyft, depending on the circumstances.  Also have used them in parts of Europe for transfers.

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I can't remember where I read it, but I think the taxi fare and Uber/Lyft were fairly expensive.  But, I can't say for sure.  But, I do know that the Tri-Rail goes between MIA and FLL for pretty cheap and I know they had daily passes for $5 and senior rate less than that.  Here is the link for that.  https://www.tri-rail.com/pages/view/fare-information-calculating-your-fare

Taking a cab from FLL to Port Everglades is cheap.  It's just a quick hop skip.  I'm not sure if the old shuttle between MIA and Port Canaveral still runs.  Hope this helps a bit.

This tri rail is interesting.  can you get from FLL airport to Port Everglades.  And where would you pick it up.

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

This tri rail is interesting.  can you get from FLL airport to Port Everglades.  And where would you pick it up.

We've taken tri rail to the Fort Lauderdale Dania/FLL airport station and then the free bus to the FLL airport and then Uber to the ship.  Very easy but think you are better just grabbing an uber at the tri-rail Dania/FLL airport station to Port Everglades.  Not far.  Right by the airport.

We are looking forward to Brightline trains from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale later this summer.....We will be able to avoid the high price in season hotel rates in South Florida and take the train from Orlando the morning of embarkation....and the morning of debarkation back to Orlando. 

Here is Brightline...https://www.gobrightline.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Not sure if you mean can you take the tri rail from FLL to Port Everglades, but answer is no.  You would go between airports then grab a cab from FLL to Port Everglades which is easy and cheap.  The FLL airport is small and easy to get around in and easy to find the cabs.  There are also shuttles from FLL to Port Canaveral and I believe those are outside of baggage claim area.  Also failed to mention that for tri rail a shuttle takes you from the train station to FLL airport.  

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

Not sure if you mean can you take the tri rail from FLL to Port Everglades, but answer is no.  You would go between airports then grab a cab from FLL to Port Everglades which is easy and cheap.  The FLL airport is small and easy to get around in and easy to find the cabs.  There are also shuttles from FLL to Port Canaveral and I believe those are outside of baggage claim area.  Also failed to mention that for tri rail a shuttle takes you from the train station to FLL airport.  

FLL small?  Well, if having 4 Terminals and over 90,000 passengers a day is small than I guess so. It is the 15th busiest airport in the USA and has about the same passenger volume as another "small" airport called Newark!.  But I do agree that it is relatively easy to find taxis (just go outside the luggage area to the taxi queue areas, and also relatively easy to get Uber and Lyft.

Hank

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

FLL small?  Well, if having 4 Terminals and over 90,000 passengers a day is small than I guess so. It is the 15th busiest airport in the USA and has about the same passenger volume as another "small" airport called Newark!.  But I do agree that it is relatively easy to find taxis (just go outside the luggage area to the taxi queue areas, and also relatively easy to get Uber and Lyft.

Hank

Do you know if the hotel shuttles pick up at the same area as the taxis and ride shares?

40 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Do you know if the hotel shuttles pick up at the same area as the taxis and ride shares?

They are in separate areas along the long pick-up waiting strip the runs along the terminal (outside of the luggage area).  Depending on what you door you exit, it can be a small hike to get to hotel pick-up areas.  You should also call the hotel to tell them you are waiting and confirm the pick-up spot (they are labeled).  Se have had some hotels that want us to move to a different area and even had one that wanted us to go to the arrival area (which I suspect is actually against the airport's rules).

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites (17 th street) which is one hotel that does not run a free shuttle.  In the past when we have stayed at places with free shuttles, we would sometimes find ourselves standing outside for over a half hour (this can happen at any airport).  I actually prefer paying a taxi to standing around and waiting for some of those shuttles.

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

LOL..yah I guess from various perspectives.  But, point is, sb easy for them to find cab or better yet as another poster mentioned; don't take the shuttle from the train station and just get a cab from there to PC.