Novice camera user with DSLR and questions about cruising cold ports.

bikeboy999

Hi all, when I was on a South American cruise we had photo experts on board. I noticed that when I took my camera from a/c room to deck to shoot. The lens was fogged up. The expert I talked to mentioned keeping the camera wrapped in towel in a drawer, and taking out immediately to the deck to shoot. Now, I am going to Norway with Camera and two lenses (still not decided which two, that is the second question. So am I worried about room to outside to shoot and fogging. Or cool room to cool air is not the same as cool to humid warm?  And the second question, 16-35 and 24-105 oor 16-35 and 70=200 with 1.4 doubler? I have seen some folk talking that not as much creatures vs creation to shoot. So 16-35 and 24-105 is the best choice vs 70-200 with 1.4x in Alaska?

Brian

If it is colder outside than inside, fogging isn't an issue...until you come in from outside to inside where it may be warmer and more humid. The problem is condensation which occurs when a solid surface is at a lower temperature than the point at which water vapor in the air around it (humidity) will condense back into its liquid state (dew point), Same reason your grass is dry all day but wet in the morning. The trick is to keep the camera at a temperature above the dew point so condensation won't form. When in a tropical environment, I use a small ReptiTherm terrarium heater that I plug in at night and put in a dresser drawer with my camera and lenses (I have also zipped it into my camera bag). It maintains an 80° - 90° temperature and at that temp, I've never had condensation be a problem in warm climates. In colder climes where the cabin temps are higher or equal to the outdoor temps, condensation is not an issue.

In places like Alaska where wildlife is plentiful, there is rarely a lot to see from either the ship or the ports as far as wildlife is concerned unless you specifically take a tour to go find it. I am not too familiar with wildlife in Norway but my guess it would be pretty much the same. I have found the 24-105 to be a 98% lens while travelling and it rarely comes off my A7III. I also pack an A6600 with either a 12mm manual focus or a 70-300 zoom to cover the longer or shorter opportunities, depending on the day. 

Hope that helps.

Dave