Drink Package Tipping

MandyMooToo

First time MSC cruisers here and we went with a Yacht Club cabin.  The drink package is provided so I am not certain how to handle tipping for it since normally the tips would be added to the drink package when purchasing.  We obviously plan to pay the daily service charge and tip the butler, concierge (and anyone else that does extra for us/goes above and beyond) but what about bar staff with the "free package?"  I have gone through quite a bit of the board and cannot find the answer (searching for drink package and tips is 😒too many responses).  Thanks in advance, we re looking forward to our first cruise with MSC on Seashore!

Just now, carlmm said:

Tips are included in the package, whether you bought it individually or as part of the deal.

Thank you!  I have been looking everywhere for the answer.  We usually tip the specific bartenders we spend more time with extra, above the daily service fee, but I didn't want to mess with any pool/group tips, etc.

You will find MANY opinions on this matter, both pro and con.  But as long as one is polite about it, tipping is a personal choice IMHO.  Basic tips are included ( and we NEVER remove those- EVER) and we do tip extra for those we think go above their basic duties.  That includes those bartenders/wait staff that service those places we frequent.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bafinegan said:

You will find MANY opinions on this matter, both pro and con.  But as long as one is polite about it, tipping is a personal choice IMHO.  Basic tips are included ( and we NEVER remove those- EVER) and we do tip extra for those we think go above their basic duties.  That includes those bartenders/wait staff that service those places we frequent.

Yes, it seems tipping threads can become quite contentious (on all lines' forums).  My concern was not paying the gratuities for the free or included drink package.  I just wasn't sure if I was to tip per drink or if the grats were included in the free YC drink package and the daily grats would suffice.  Thanks for the response!

13 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

Yes, it seems tipping threads can become quite contentious (on all lines' forums).  My concern was not paying the gratuities for the free or included drink package.  I just wasn't sure if I was to tip per drink or if the grats were included in the free YC drink package and the daily grats would suffice.  Thanks for the response!

You need to understand that MSC is a European cruise line where things go different. Read the MSC webpage. The staff gets a decent salary and does not rely on your tips. Secondly only American guests can remove the gratuities and they usually don´t do. Certainly you can add a personal tip, but do it discreet and if possible not in an insulting manner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

You need to understand that MSC is a European cruise line where things go different. Read the MSC webpage. The staff gets a decent salary and does not rely on your tips. Secondly only American guests can remove the gratuities and they usually don´t do. Certainly you can add a personal tip, but do it discreet and if possible not in an insulting manner. 

☝☝☝  This

Below is a link to their tipping guides on MSC.  Notice, half way down the page it states:  

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff. 

We do tip extra if someone goes above and beyond but I found it to be crazy on a 4 day cruise on the Meraviglia a couple of weeks ago.  There were young people (20's) everywhere and tipping $20 at the bar. Not sure if it was a one time thing or not but the bartenders did not run down to service them like the young people thought they would, they had to wait in line just like everyone else.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

Edited by ready2cruzagain

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

I fully understand MSC is a European cruise line. I do not plan to run around dropping tips everywhere behind me. I asked about tips specifically for the drink package because, European or not, they do say on the website that tips are added to the drink package. Our drink package is part of the cruise fare in YC so I didn’t know if tips were “included” in that or if I should tip per drink since we didn’t pay for the package. I also saw on the website that grats are added per drink without the package so my question remained. In my initial post I mentioned paying the daily service charge and tipping the butler/concierge/anyone who does extra. I do think that’s appropriate on any line, if someone goes above and beyond. I obviously will not be insulting anyone. 

50 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

☝☝☝  This

Below is a link to their tipping guides on MSC.  Notice, half way down the page it states:  

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff. 

We do tip extra if someone goes above and beyond but I found it to be crazy on a 4 day cruise on the Meraviglia a couple of weeks ago.  There were young people (20's) everywhere and tipping $20 at the bar. Not sure if it was a one time thing or not but the bartenders did not run down to service them like the young people thought they would, they had to wait in line just like everyone else.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

I feel like no one really read my question or comments. I read the website. I understand the tipping guidelines and do not plan to tip as we would on RCCL. My question was referring to the drink package and the grats that the website says are to be paid with the package, which we are getting “free” and the per drink gratuities the website says are added without the package. Since ours is not being paid for individually I didn’t know if I should tip per drink or what. I only planned to add the drinks tips and tip the butler/concierge/any staff that goes above and beyond, nothing extravagant. 

Edited by MandyMooToo

37 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

All UK bookings have grats/service included in the base price, when the ship operate in £ there is no added service charge on the menu prices. 

This is interesting! I wish all cruise lines would handle grats this way. We are sailing out of a US port so tips are something to consider. I didn’t want to not tip enough or go overboard, hence my question. Thanks for the response.  

19 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

My question was referring to the drink package and the grats that the website says are to be paid with the package, which we are getting “free” and the per drink gratuities the website says are added without the package.

This question cannot be answered because it is the money of the company. Whatever MSC is doing with this money and how they distribute it, they will not tell. But MSC certainly has a incentive system for the crew to honor good performance. 

And let´s not be naive, if MSC realized many people don´t follow the "TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff." then they just will cut the wages for the crew. 

When you read here you might think "Wow, these Americans tip so much, the staff on US lines must earn 20 times what the staff on European lines earns". So why anyone works for the Europeans? Because it is not true, in the end the salary is not really different. 

So my package was included in my recent cruise, as I am sure many on board my ship was as well. 

I actually felt more inclined to slip my bar tender a few extra dollars. I gave one $20.00, and he actually gave me a hug, and said you have no idea what cash does to us. We talked for about an hour. I never had to worry about a bad drink. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

This question cannot be answered because it is the money of the company. Whatever MSC is doing with this money and how they distribute it, they will not tell. But MSC certainly has a incentive system for the crew to honor good performance. 

And let´s not be naive, if MSC realized many people don´t follow the "TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff." then they just will cut the wages for the crew. 

When you read here you might think "Wow, these Americans tip so much, the staff on US lines must earn 20 times what the staff on European lines earns". So why anyone works for the Europeans? Because it is not true, in the end the salary is not really different. 

It matters not to me how they distribute the tips. That is the company’s business. Again, I was asking if I needed to make up the difference in the drink package tips we were not charged when given a “free” drink package or if tips would just be added to each drink as though we didn’t have it. I am not asking who they tips to or how much they give out. 

40 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

So my package was included in my recent cruise, as I am sure many on board my ship was as well. 

I actually felt more inclined to slip my bar tender a few extra dollars. I gave one $20.00, and he actually gave me a hug, and said you have no idea what cash does to us. We talked for about an hour. I never had to worry about a bad drink. 

Thank you for your personal experience, I just don’t want to stiff anyone!

Just now, MandyMooToo said:

Thank you for your personal experience, I just don’t want to stiff anyone!

Anytime! I agree with what you are saying. If it helps. They are in a contract to serve for a set rate each week, and they split the grats. Cash is 100%. 

I am honestly going to just give cash now. I am not sure how the policy is on the ship but my housekeeper could have used that $100.00 because ONLY SHE cleaned my room. 

• Like 1

There is no service charge added to the drinks you get with your drink package, no matter if the package was included, prebooked or if you buy the package on board (in the last case, a service charge is added to the price of the drink package).

Also, waiters/bartenders do not expect you to tip anyway (but they won't refuse).

Edited by RudiRatlos

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

I feel like no one really read my question or comments. I read the website. I understand the tipping guidelines and do not plan to tip as we would on RCCL. My question was referring to the drink package and the grats that the website says are to be paid with the package, which we are getting “free” and the per drink gratuities the website says are added without the package. Since ours is not being paid for individually I didn’t know if I should tip per drink or what. I only planned to add the drinks tips and tip the butler/concierge/any staff that goes above and beyond, nothing extravagant. 

I read your question. 🙄 Maybe you didn't word it right since so many didn't give you the "answer" you wanted. The answer is...tips are included in the drink package that comes with the cruise, you do not have to pay extra.  That is, if that is the answer you are looking for.

6 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I read your question. 🙄 Maybe you didn't word it right since so many didn't give you the "answer" you wanted. The answer is...tips are included in the drink package that comes with the cruise, you do not have to pay extra.  That is, if that is the answer you are looking for.

Surprised it took this long for a rude comment. I worded my question just fine as some people did actually answer it. Some people also tend to read a title and not pay attention to the details in the question before they respond. Re: me asking a specific question and getting mainly responses that pertain to general tipping. But thanks for the attitude and response. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

Surprised it took this long for a rude comment. I worded my question just fine as some people did actually answer it. Some people also tend to read a title and not pay attention to the details in the question before they respond. Re: me asking a specific question and getting mainly responses that pertain to general tipping. But thanks for the attitude and response. 

Anytime

• Haha 2

The only time I have had issues with tipping onboard was our last cruise.

It was heavy with Travel Agents. We had 57 on our FB Group.

We were in YC .

There were TA’s with their clients in lounge and one pool . Pulling tables together and hanging out all afternoon.

Several groups like this.

One TA set up a table in Lounge to book new travel. With signs and all.

They would wave $5 or $10 dollar bills and staff would come running.
TA do not pay for their cruise so, I guess, they tip heavy.

I was in the middle of drink order, when money was waved.
Server immediately ran over to take their drink orders.  
Never came back. I went to bar and ordered for myself. 

We tip in addition to DSC, discreetly, at end of cruise.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, phissy said:

There were TA’s with their clients in lounge and one pool . Pulling tables together and hanging out all afternoon.

Several groups like this.

One TA set up a table in Lounge to book new travel. With signs and all.

They would wave $5 or $10 dollar bills and staff would come running.
TA do not pay for their cruise so, I guess, they tip heavy.

I was in the middle of drink order, when money was waved.
Server immediately ran over to take their drink orders.  
Never came back. I went to bar and ordered for myself. 

Hi phissy -- We were on that Divina cruise with you. We never noticed the set up in the Lounge; must have been because we sat on the other side. I'm surprised that the future cruise consultant did not address it.

I recall that particular TA boasting about how they'd wind up tipping ~$1K overall on the 13-day cruise. I recall it because at the time my husband and I said to each other, "Well, so will we. So what? No need to advertise it." LOL

We did not see the waving of money either. Was that at the One Pool? How absurd!

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 1