Live Report Arvia 14 Nights From Barbados 18th Feb onwards

Interestedcruisefan

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

My wife just had to climb from  the 5th floor to 17th floor for Epicurean in high heels!!

Enjoy your meal tonight.🙂

And when you head back down again, perhaps you could show all those smokers who use the lift to go down from 18 to 16 how easy it is to use the stairs. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last night's meal In Epicurean waa very good. The restaurant manager found us  a space for 28th Feb as well now despite the restaurant being fully booked on the app. Always worth asking I guess

Images of menu,  view from table and bread basket below more to come from my wife's phone later

IMG_20230219_1712466.jpg

IMG_20230219_1710310.jpg

IMG_20230219_1707527.jpg

IMG_20230219_1709207.jpg

IMG_20230219_1708496.jpg

• Like 3

More images from Epicurian

The meal came with virgin bloody Mary amuse bouche

Andy sorbet pre dessert

I had fillet of beef (rare) served perfectly and my wife had black cod with lobster tail main

Chocolate jaffa cake and lemon meringue tart for dessert

24 HR slow cooked ox cheek and crab starters

Service and ambience is great in there

The bread basket in earlier post included Beetroot flavoured bread and salt and marmite flavoured butters

IMG-20230220-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230220-WA0013.jpg

• Like 14

And if you eat at The Quays you can  sit outside to dine with views like this

Tortola looks great. It replaced Curacao on this cruise for some reason I can't remember?

We will be off to explore soon. We have to take passports with us today

We've heard there's a shuttle in port for 10US dollars each to Cane Garden Bay

From there we will see if it's possible to do the Hike to the highest point on the island

Wish us luck with that!!

IMG_20230220_0810064.jpg

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 7

Thanks for the update.👍

I too had the black cod and lobster one time, and another time had the halibut which, although listed as a sharer, they were happy to serve as a single portion. I've also had the porcupine lemon meringue. I do like the food in Epicurean.😋

Next week you'll have the other menu, which should have the lobster thermidor on; you should have seen the state of our tablecloth after that!🤭

• Like 1

We changed our mind about hiking to the top of Mont Sage

So we just went to Cane Garden Bay instead

Its actually 12 US dollars per person each way. But you pay 24 US dollars at the start and get a wrist band for your journey back. They said the shuttles come back every hour on the hour but in reality they were pretty constant

It's a 15 minutes journey up and down steep and windy roads

Cane Garden Bay is itself beautiful. I guess 500 to 1,000 English sunbathers spoil it though!! Seemed like everybody chose to go here

Halfway through the day I would have warned people off coming here from a cruise as the sunbeds are packed in 

My wife said "it makes it feel like Benidorm"

10  us dollars each per sunbed

The bars and food from the bars and stalls on the beach pretty average

The bay is beautiful though.  And if you walk to the end past all the sunbeds that part is calm and pleasant and if you are happy using towels to lie on a beach it's nice there

By then we had already paid for a sunbed in panic there would be none left the amount of Brits that kept arriving!

We then found a rum distillery behind the part of the beach with no sunbeds. It's 400 years old and has been making rum from sugar cane the old fashioned way for all that time

You could taste 5 shots of rum for 1 US dollars per person!!!!

We paid an extra 4 us dollars for a short tour of the distillery before tasting the rums

Our favourite rum was called "Panty Remover"

Lol. That's what  it's called. It was a sweet rum.

It was a fun experience.

Last night we watched a high tech theatre show called Sky's the Limit or similar to that in Headliners. The singer's and dancers are way superior to what we saw on Britannia on our staycation cruise a couple of years ago. Way superior. 

The theatre itself is the most high tech theatre I've ever seen. Big screens behind the stage and to the sides of the stage as well. 5 guys there just to sort the audio visuals and lighting and effects

Real hi tech show. Probably a third of the songs were known songs and the rest appear to be specially written for the show?

So it's hard to enjoy the songs you don't know as much 

Despite that great energy and very impressive 

The screens made it appear like you were in an aircraft terminal at the start of the show and in various cities and in an aeroplane itself other parts of the show

It's taken theatre shows on cruise ships to another level. It was like being at Disneyworld or Universal Studios

Heres an image of the theatre before the show started

the photo doesn't do the effect justice tbhIMG-20230219-WA0006.thumb.jpg.064171b15109f8a80dfcb88c4bfcc0cc.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So sorry I only saw this question after we got back so I didn't check for you

No worries, just thought I would ask. We were last there in 2016 before hurricane Irma laid waste to much of the island. Looks like you are having a great time and I am not envious at all. Well, maybe just a little! We are not on Arvia until May next year, so don’t worry about tidying up 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We changed our mind about hiking to the top of Mont Sage

So we just went to Cane Garden Bay instead

Its actually 12 US dollars per person each way. But you pay 24 US dollars at the start and get a wrist band for your journey back. They said the shuttles come back every hour on the hour but in reality they were pretty constant

It's a 15 minutes journey up and down steep and windy roads

Cane Garden Bay is itself beautiful. I guess 500 to 1,000 English sunbathers spoil it though!! Seemed like everybody chose to go here

Halfway through the day I would have warned people off coming here from a cruise as the sunbeds are packed in 

My wife said "it makes it feel like Benidorm"

10  us dollars each per sunbed

The bars and food from the bars and stalls on the beach pretty average

The bay is beautiful though.  And if you walk to the end past all the sunbeds that part is calm and pleasant and if you are happy using towels to lie on a beach it's nice there

By then we had already paid for a sunbed in panic there would be none left the amount of Brits that kept arriving!

We then found a rum distillery behind the part of the beach with no sunbeds. It's 400 years old and has been making rum from sugar cane the old fashioned way for all that time

You could taste 5 shots of rum for 1 US dollars per person!!!!

We paid an extra 4 us dollars for a short tour of the distillery before tasting the rums

Our favourite rum was called "Panty Remover"

Lol. That's what  it's called. It was a sweet rum.

It was a fun experience.

Last night we watched a high tech theatre show called Sky's the Limit or similar to that in Headliners. The singer's and dancers are way superior to what we saw on Britannia on our staycation cruise a couple of years ago. Way superior. 

The theatre itself is the most high tech theatre I've ever seen. Big screens behind the stage and to the sides of the stage as well. 5 guys there just to sort the audio visuals and lighting and effects

Real hi tech show. Probably a third of the songs were known songs and the rest appear to be specially written for the show?

So it's hard to enjoy the songs you don't know as much 

Despite that great energy and very impressive 

The screens made it appear like you were in an aircraft terminal at the start of the show and in various cities and in an aeroplane itself other parts of the show

It's taken theatre shows on cruise ships to another level. It was like being at Disneyworld or Universal Studios

Heres an image of the theatre before the show started

the photo doesn't do the effect justice tbhIMG-20230219-WA0006.thumb.jpg.064171b15109f8a80dfcb88c4bfcc0cc.jpg

Sounds like a great day.  I bet the name of your favourite rum would be banned here! 😂

• Like 1

Well breaking news again. 

We now have 2 cabins!!!

Lol

The cabin we booked. Which is just a standard inside

Cabin 5348

And also a large balcony cabin!!!

Cabin 10240

Basically each night in our original cabin about 2.30am and then again 4.30am we got noise. It was people moving stuff about for about 15 minutes

It's happened all 3 nights. We complained after night one and were told It  might have been luggage being moved

But it's happened again both nights

Second night we complained again and the deck manager said it might be cleaners in the gym and he would ask them to be quieter from now on.

But same again last night. Almost like clockwork. Our room backs onto the gym

Anyway my wife's packed the cases gone to reception  and they've offered us room 10240. 

It's a large balcony cabin. Twice as nice as our cabin and next to a cabin with a huge balcony.

Only issue is the reason it's available is there's been noise under the floor next to the big cabin next door. So clearly someone has moved out from this one. They must have sent them somewhere even nicer! Lol

And there are workmen working on fixing the noise problem as we speak

So they've told us to try the new cabin today and tonight and keep the old one whilst we decide whether to move to move to this one or not

It's a great upgrade if they fix the problem.

Meanwhile weve got key's to both cabins til tomorrow lunch!!

Lol

Anyway off to the Cocktail bar inside a pool next to our sunbeds to celebrate potential good news I if they fix the noise that is!!

It's 11am ish here. Sea day. Heading to Dominican Republic tomorrow.

Last night we watched a spaceman show in the dome. That had great bits and poor bits. Will review later.

We had buffet dinner last night. All good there.

This morning full English followed by pancakes with chocolate and strawberries in the buffet with great table next to the window - breakfast with a view!

Pictures below

Followed by gym, spin class and checking out the new balcony room we've been offered

Onto cocktails in the pool now!!

Will get some nice pics of that

We've chosen deck 16 back of the ship for our prime spot for sunbeds. We got them at 7am this morning (a sea day). There were still some available there at 7.30am

Buts it prime spot next to stunning infinity pool and swim up Cocktail bar. Images to follow later today

IMG_20230221_0731273.jpg

IMG_20230221_0739335.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1