Asking for Recommendations for a hotel for night prior to Cruise

CanadianLady587

My husband and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before we leave on the Beyond on Dec 11.  We don't know Ft. Lauderdale hotels that are near to the Cruise Port.  We don't need a fancy hotel, just one that has a good rating.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, CanadianLady587 said:

My husband and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before we leave on the Beyond on Dec 11.  We don't know Ft. Lauderdale hotels that are near to the Cruise Port.  We don't need a fancy hotel, just one that has a good rating.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, fellow Canadian  ;o). The closest hotel zone to Port Everglades is the 17th Street strip, with a bunch of great options like the Hyatt Place, Hilton Marina, Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express or a dodgy Embassy Suites. Great location, near shopping and restaurants, VERY close to the port and not very far from FLL. Prices there can be high at certain times of the year, so if your time is high season a good alternative is Dania Beach, a little closer to the airport but a bit farther from Port Everglades.  In the highest priced seasons, an excellent alternative is Plantation, much farther from the Port but immune from the very high prices closer to the port. A lot of people also recommend "downtown" Fort Lauderdale and the Riverside hotel. As a start, check the prices at the very popular Hyatt Place and see if they match your budget.

• Thanks 1

You can also take a look at the Fort Lauderdale tourism website:  www.sunny.org.  In addition to hotels, it has information on transportation, restaurants, and sightseeing. 

December 10th prices shouldn't be too high (by Fort Lauderdale standards) since it is after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CanadianLady587 said:

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  This is very helpful.  We've made bad choices in the past and this helps us for this trip for sure!  

FWIW, I like to use Tripadvisor.com to search out hotel prices for any trip because of its very useful map feature. I don't usually book through them, but it's a great way to compare prices over a wide area visually rather than simply looking at a list of prices. Simply enter the date you want to search (and the area of course, Fort Lauderdale) and once it searches for hotels in the area you've selected, you can elect to show the search results in map form with the ability to zoom in to view only hotels in a specific area. It gives a good idea of prices from all the big agencies but also shows how the prices can vary by location.  Doing a quick search for your Dec 10-11 date, the 17th St strip hotels aren't at high-season prices but aren't cheap either, especially for us Canadians.  Just a few miles away, just south of the airport, the Dania Beach hotels are upwards of $CAD100 per night cheaper, though a bit farther from Port Everglades.

33 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, I like to use Tripadvisor.com to search out hotel prices for any trip because of its very useful map feature. I don't usually book through them, but it's a great way to compare prices over a wide area visually rather than simply looking at a list of prices. Simply enter the date you want to search (and the area of course, Fort Lauderdale) and once it searches for hotels in the area you've selected, you can elect to show the search results in map form with the ability to zoom in to view only hotels in a specific area. It gives a good idea of prices from all the big agencies but also shows how the prices can vary by location.  Doing a quick search for your Dec 10-11 date, the 17th St strip hotels aren't at high-season prices but aren't cheap either, especially for us Canadians.  Just a few miles away, just south of the airport, the Dania Beach hotels are upwards of $CAD100 per night cheaper, though a bit farther from Port Everglades.

Thank you so much for reaching out again with even more details!  We will look at booking our hotel in the Dania Beach area thanks to your suggestion.  We have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale in the past, but weren't satisfied with some of our hotel choices.  To be honest, we probably have stayed at a hotel that was good, we just didn't keep good notes on our trip and "lost" the good hotel name.  I haven't used Cruise Critic for asking questions until now.  I was always a bit intimidated about doing so.  I'm glad I tried it for this trip.  Thank you again.

1 minute ago, CanadianLady587 said:

Thank you so much for reaching out again with even more details!  We will look at booking our hotel in the Dania Beach area thanks to your suggestion.  We have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale in the past, but weren't satisfied with some of our hotel choices.  To be honest, we probably have stayed at a hotel that was good, we just didn't keep good notes on our trip and "lost" the good hotel name.  I haven't used Cruise Critic for asking questions until now.  I was always a bit intimidated about doing so.  I'm glad I tried it for this trip.  Thank you again.

No problem. Dania Beach is a good alternative to 17th St, we've stayed there a number of times when 17th St was out of range for us in high season. Right at the I95 and Stirling Road on Google maps, the Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are great bets right next to each other, as are the Springhill Suites and Hilton Garden Inn. The two Hyatts are very new hotels. There are a lot of restaurants in the immediate area and the big Oakwood mall just across Stirling Rd.  Have a great trip.  ;o)

For us, it does depend on price and since most if not all hotels now have dynamic pricing that can change daily, we shop around.  In 2021 it seems in the center of FLL was cheap with hotels and in 2022 it was Dania Beach.  Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port (If affordable during your date range) was great for us as there are tons of restaurants within walking distance.  Also, if you elect to rent a car, parking is (or was last year) free

On 2/17/2023 at 7:15 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We’re staying at Hyatt Place on 91 sw 18th ave dania beach

price is reasonable, good reviews, nearby places to eat.

We just got off the Beyond on Sunday, and we stayed here at the Hyatt Place. Very close to the port and airport, and lots of shopping and restaurants in walking distance. Nice hotel, would stay here again.

• Thanks 1