Transportation- Hold My Hand Please

sjmbruce

We'll arrive at the Venice airport and will need to get to our hotel (Rosa Salva). How easy is it to find and take the public water bus from the airport to hotels near St Mark's square?

A few days later we'll need to get to Ravenna.  My husband wants to take the train, so we'll need to get from the hotel to the train station,  switch trains, then go from the Ravenna train station to the ship. Where do I start booking all of this?

Once you arrive at the Venice airport, you'll clear customs (assuming you didn't already land in an EU country enroute), then follow signage to baggage claim and pick up your bags. From baggage claim you'll exit into a sort of staging area where prebooked transportation agents are waiting with signs. In this areas there are ticket windows for various modes of transportation. You can buy your Alilaguna (airport water bus) tickets here or you can wait and purchase them at the landing area.

For thorough directions on buying tickets, getting to the place where the boats dock, etc., this website cannot be matched. I suggest you read this section for your airport to hotel questions:  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Train tickets can be booked here:  https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html  (choose the English option).  When searching for tickets make sure you use the correct station names:  Venezia Santa Lucia for Venice's main station and Ravenna Centrale for your arrival station.

It looks like you will have a bit of a walk with your luggage to your hotel. If you haven't already, I would contact them and ask for directions to find them from the Alilaguna/Vaporetto stop. Once you're there, they can also advise regarding the best way to the train station from hotel -- either vaporetto or Alilaguna may work.

Changing trains will be the same as anywhere. Watch the train connection times when booking your tickets. You will have to get off the train, managing all your luggage and then get to your new platform with it. You'll only be able to determine the track number when you arrive -- it may be on a different level.

At Ravenna station, some lines are providing a shuttle to the ships. You might enquire on the board for whatever line you're sailing with.  In the past there have not been many taxis available at the station as Ravenna isn't a large place. However, with more ships embarking/disembarking there, you may find more of them now.

Interesting choice of a hotel as it is not very convenient to any public transportation.  Not a major problem as long as you are capable of handling your own luggage and moving it a few blocks.  If you expect to have difficulty moving your luggage blocks (and likely over some small bridges) than you might want to change your hotel to a property that is located close to a Vaporetto or Alilaguna stop.  I did notice that their web site has pretty good directions from the Rialto vaporetto stop.  But the Alilaguna stop is at Rialto "A" which is a bit further than the Vaporetto stop at Rialto C.  Venice can be such fun, but also a bit tiring if hauling luggage.

Hank