All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

That would be my ideal formal attire, but not going to happen on P&O, but would be OK on the Virgin Voyages cruise we have been looking at. 

I genuinely don't know why people are upset by what other people are wearing,especially if they look smart. 

I'm a polo shirt and trousers sort of guy; smart ones which I wear for my private golf course. My theory is if it's smart enough for there, it'll do me! 

I couldn't go in the restaurants on formal nights on P&O, which I wouldn't, but if I bought a cheap suit and shirt from a charity shop, it would be OK. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, daz1107 said:

I genuinely don't know why people are upset by what other people are wearing,especially if they look smart. 

I'm a polo shirt and trousers sort of guy; smart ones which I wear for my private golf course. My theory is if it's smart enough for there, it'll do me! 

I couldn't go in the restaurants on formal nights on P&O, which I wouldn't, but if I bought a cheap suit and shirt from a charity shop, it would be OK. 

On the Arvia in the Caribbean you certainly could, again I’ve seen it 😬

3 hours ago, daz1107 said:

I had a cheap dinner suit cost me £25 from George at Asda, only ever wore it on a cruise, no longer fits me and I sent to local Red Cross Charity Shop. I only own 1 suit, which I have probably worn no more than on a dozen occasions, the last being my father in law’s funeral last year. I haven’t purchased a tie for over 20 years. I cannot see why many cruise companies still stick these formal nights, a number have abandoned them altogether or have changed to smart casual as alternatives. There is nothing stopping those wish to dress up from doing so, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I had a cheap dinner suit cost me £25 from George at Asda, only ever wore it on a cruise, no longer fits me and I sent to local Red Cross Charity Shop. I only own 1 suit, which I have probably worn no more than on a dozen occasions, the last being my father in law’s funeral last year. I haven’t purchased a tie for over 20 years. I cannot see why many cruise companies still stick these formal nights, a number have abandoned them altogether or have changed to smart casual as alternatives. There is nothing stopping those wish to dress up from doing so, 

I totally agree with you! 

After having to wear a suit and tie everyday for 25 years for work, that's the last thing I want to wear on my holiday. 

As you say, I wonder what percentage of suits are F&F, George or Tu? 

I'll do as I've always done on cruises and merely avoid the formal nights. If people wish to dress up, that's fine, but it's not for me... 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

I totally agree with you! 

After having to wear a suit and tie everyday for 25 years for work, that's the last thing I want to wear on my holiday. 

As you say, I wonder what percentage of suits are F&F, George or Tu? 

I'll do as I've always done on cruises and merely avoid the formal nights. If people wish to dress up, that's fine, but it's not for me... 

I don't really have a strong opinion about formal nights, but if certain cruise lines want to try and make 1 or 2 nights a cruise a little more special just to add some variety to the cruising experience, and that includes a smarter dress code, then I am happy to go along with it.

But I would be equally happy for the cruise line to find some other way to enhance the experience, without having the formal dress code.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't really have a strong opinion about formal nights, but if certain cruise lines want to try and make 1 or 2 nights a cruise a little more special just to add some variety to the cruising experience, and that includes a smarter dress code, then I am happy to go along with it.

But I would be equally happy for the cruise line to find some other way to enhance the experience, without having the formal dress code.

I think you quoted three very important words in your post, 'smarter dress code'. 

Smart doesn't necessarily equate to suit and tie. My golf club has a 'smart dress code' for the clubhouse, but no one wears a suit. 

My initial post wasn't saying that I have a strong opinion about these nights, it was about people being upset or annoyed by other people who don't wear a suit. 

What people wear has no impact on my evening of food and drink; if its good, it's good, irrespective of others clothes. I simply don't care and I'm not interested in what other cruisers are doing. This is my holiday and for other people it's their holiday. As far as I'm concerned, as long as we are all enjoying it, then that's what we are here for. It just seems from reading this thread, that certain posters are far too interested in other people! 

Just for clarification, in case this post didn't make it clear, I am actually agreeing with you. And as I said, as for formal nights, I'll avoid the restaurants and continue to dress as I choose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

On the Arvia in the Caribbean you certainly could, again I’ve seen it 😬

When we were on the Arvia in the Caribbean in January, they were turning men away from the MDR in tailored shorts on casual nights.

I only noticed because the young man sat next to me was moaning about having to go back to his cabin to change.

I'm not sure if they were consistent in this though, which will be annoying to those who wish to wear them.

51 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

I think you quoted three very important words in your post, 'smarter dress code'. 

Smart doesn't necessarily equate to suit and tie. My golf club has a 'smart dress code' for the clubhouse, but no one wears a suit. 

My initial post wasn't saying that I have a strong opinion about these nights, it was about people being upset or annoyed by other people who don't wear a suit. 

What people wear has no impact on my evening of food and drink; if its good, it's good, irrespective of others clothes. I simply don't care and I'm not interested in what other cruisers are doing. This is my holiday and for other people it's their holiday. As far as I'm concerned, as long as we are all enjoying it, then that's what we are here for. It just seems from reading this thread, that certain posters are far too interested in other people! 

Just for clarification, in case this post didn't make it clear, I am actually agreeing with you. And as I said, as for formal nights, I'll avoid the restaurants and continue to dress as I choose.

On formal nights in the past I have put on the penguin suit gone to the MDR, finished meal gone back to cabin and changed into something more comfortable. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

On formal nights in the past I have put on the penguin suit gone to the MDR, finished meal gone back to cabin and changed into something more comfortable. 

I no longer own a penguin costume and I have no intention of buying one either 🐧😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I don't want to have to go to that trouble, but I would prefer to have the choice to eat in the MDR, even if I am not wearing a jacket and tie.

• Like 2

Although I will always comply with whatever dress code is expected my personal opinion is that as long as you look as if you have made a bit of an effort - i.e, been to the cabin for a shower and change to tidy clothes, not arrived straight from the gym/sunlounger -then nowadays it should be acceptable attire in the MDR.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I really can’t understand why anyone would actually complain about people’s attire. Honestly! Just focus on enjoying your own cruise instead of eyeing other passengers critically. 

That is the most sensible thing I've read on here and you echo my opinion perfectly 👍

• Like 2

Many years ago we were on a Caribbean P&O New Year cruise. We were in one of the bars after dinner when a couple came in and stood at the bar. The lady, who looked to be in her 20s was wearing a see through lace dress which showed her very mini underwear. After a while one of the passengers complained at the bar and she was asked to go and get something less revealing. She started crying and her partner quickly took her away. They came back later and apologised to the bar staff for causing an issue. They didn’t stay long and we didn’t see them again. I thought she was very brave to come back. I suspect they decided P & O may not be the line they wanted to sail with in the future.